Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to mandolin

Default New to mandolin

Hello gang. I hate to post another 'what mandolin to buy for low budget', but here goes anyway -

Pretty common story - guitar player to ukulele player now looking into mandolin. As always, budget is always tight in the household. My question is, is there a decent mandolin that can be had for under $200? I know it's not a lot of money but it is what it is. I understand that fit and finish is surely not going to be the greatest in this price range, but I am good at setting up my own guitars and ukes. Yes, the mandolin is a bit different in those regards with the floating bridge, but I'm sure I can learn.

So, is there anything in my budget - or should I not even consider an instrument at this price point and just stick with my guitar and ukulele playing?

Thanks!

Default Re: New to mandolin

Double your budget and you're into a good mandolin. At $200, you're really not going to get anything better than decent. You might get lucky and find something used in your price range. Where are you located?
    Check out the Kentucky KM-150 and KM-250
    https://www.elderly.com/kentucky-km-150-mandolin.htm
    https://www.elderly.com/kentucky-km-250-mandolin.htm

You could go with the perennial starter mandolin - the Rogue - but you'll have to do your own setup and you'll soon outgrow it. 100% laminate. It'll get you playing, but in my opinion, not even a decent instrument.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-...style-mandolin

Better to buy a good mandolin from the start.
    Coming from the flat top guitar & Uke world, the price of carved top mandolins is a bit of a shock.

Best to get one that had solid carved top, back & sides.
    Last edited by colorado_al; Jan-25-2018 at 12:11pm.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bsfloyd View Post
    So, is there anything in my budget - or should I not even consider an instrument at this price point and just stick with my guitar and ukulele playing?Thanks!
    What make/model guitar do you play?

When thinking about mandolins, a reasonable rule of thumb is to take your impression of guitar pricing and then double it! For example, if you think that you can find a decent entry-level guitar that meets your playing needs and satisfies your musical ear for about $200, then you will need to spend about $400 to get a mandolin of more-or-less equivalent quality. A $1,000 'mid-range' guitar corresponds roughly to a $2,000 mandolin, and a $5,000 'high end' guitar to a $10,000 mandolin. Unless you want a beater or a crude beginner's instrument, I would recommend a starting budget of around $400-$500, just as others have suggested. And I would strongly suggest buying a used A-model, where you'll get much more bang for your buck. Check out the MC classifieds, for example! There's a Weber Y2K going for just $400, a Fender for $275, a Kentucky Artist for $600, and so on (NFI).

5. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

I think the Kentucky KM-250 is the best low budget mandolin right now. Only $25 more than the KM-150 and you get some really nice upgrades

A $200 dollar mandolin can be set-up to play well, but, after a month or two, you'll be hooked on mandolin and frustrated by your instrument's sound. Re-sale will be difficult, if not impossible -- so you'll be down 200 bucks and looking for the mando you should've purchased in the first place.

As Colorado Al says, "better to buy a good mandolin from the start."

So read and research here - this board is a great source - and start saving. When you hit $500, start looking in the classifieds for a used instrument. Having gone through this process, I would also recommend an A style with f holes, as your best bang for buck.

I'm not going to say $200 is impossible, but certainly difficult. But anyone who bought one of the Michael Kelly blowout specials would attest to that, but it's been well over a year now with no such deals being offered. So you are going to be shopping used in a minefield of less than ideal instruments. Maybe a Kentucky KM 140 could be had, but that is solid wood top only.

The problem with asking forums such as this a question such as yours is that through experience we've become jaded as to what our minimum requirements would be. Yes, there is general consensus that a KM 150 is the minimum one needs to have a good instrument, but ask many of us and you'll find out many started on whatever they could afford, so I'll resort to to my standard saying: any mandolin is better than no mandolin.

Keep in mind there are many mandolins that are pretty. That the imports do very well. Quality wood and sonic exelance not so much. So try and put your money in the build and not the appearance. Heck, maybe you'll get lucky and someone who bought one of the infamous 199.00 Michael Kellys has tired of it. I wouldnt sell mine for less than $400. I would also advise reading up and watching fret leveling videos as an important addition to the regular setup stuff.

Also do not discount buying a flat top. Your money goes further with those. Good luck hunting.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Thanks for the replies, tips, and advice everyone! This is what I was afraid of. Sadly, to be able to save up to double my current budget I would be looking at another year (yeah, budgets are that tight). Perhaps if I sold a guitar... but then I would have regrets on down the road about that.

I have a variety of guitars, though all acoustic - Yamaha, Cordoba, Seagull, Blueridge - all solid tops and one all solid. Funny how you can get more ukulele than the guitar, yet less mandolin than the guitar. Though I can understand why with the build process and all. I'll do my best of seeing what I can find used.

The Rogue was mentioned above for a starter, but I surely would be hesitant of spending $50 on a mandolin (a uke, maybe). I was looking at those such as the Ibanez M510, Washburn M1S, and Epiphone MM30S. But, you all know much more about these than I do! Surely the Kentucky offerings are much better than these, but budget....

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Also do not discount buying a flat top. Your money goes further with those. Good luck hunting.
    Thanks for this, Br1ck. I am actually looking to play irish and celtic tunes with this mandolin acquisition and I believe many of these players use flat tops?

Many folks play irish trad/celtic tunes on flat tops and many play on carved top mandolins - I play irish trad and I started on a couple of flat top mandolins (Flatiron Pancake and Weber Aspen II) but then gravitated towards carved top mandolins, just personal preference. My flat tops were both awesome. If you can increase your budget you could likely find a used Mid-Missouri or Big Muddy flat top (great mandolins), or something like a Weber Y2K flattop.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Where are you located? Might be able to assist with a CL search for used instruments in your area. It sounds like you're good at guitar setup so setting up your own mandolin won't be a problem.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

https://reverb.com/item/9865217-mid-...y-m-0-mandolin

I wouldn't let this one get away without some consideration.

These are good mandolins if you're into flat tops, made in the US. They usually go for much more. Cone with a case. (NFI)

Good luck on your search 🤓

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zach Wilson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post

These are good mandolins if you're into flat tops, made in the US. They usually go for much more. Cone with a case. (NFI)

Good luck on your search ��
    That is a very good deal. I'd go for it if you can afford it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bsfloyd View Post
    So, is there anything in my budget - or should I not even consider an instrument at this price point and just stick with my guitar and ukulele playing?

Thanks!
    There is another option, perhaps you could borrow someone's mandolin, for a week, or a month, and really see if you are going to love it. Or rent one for a month. That way hardly any or in fact no money spent for the exploration, and if you love it you will be energized to save up or make room in your budget for it. If you find that eh, its ok but nothing special, then you have not lost much if anything, and you have the piece of mind that you haven't missed out.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I bought my first mandolin, used Fender CT-100, via CL about two weeks for about the same price a Rogue would cost. It plays and sounds just good enough that I know I will enjoy playing mandolin. I have already upgraded. I will likely keep the Fender and practice setups, repairs, mods and such just to see what I can do.

The Blueridge you have and the Kentucky mandolins are both made by or owned by Saga so you are kind of all ready a member of that family.

I'm going to disagree with the majority of the post. If you can't afford anything over $200 dollars and you are comfortable doing set up buy the Rogue set it up and start saving money for an upgrade to a decent beginner mandolin. As has been said any mandolin will do you better than no mandolin. A word of advice about set-up, make sure frets are level and slots in nut and bridge are same depth for each pair of strings and back cut slightly. This little fellow is much more demanding on set up than guitar. You mention floating bridge, yes that is different than guitar but not as critical as the slots. Just make the 12 fret noted one octave higher than open, or another check does the noted 12 fret and the chime there ring the same. Slightly off won't really bother a newbie that much because you'll be playing the low end of the neck.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandoplumb For This Useful Post:

I think if you can find a used solid wood mandolin in your budget, that is the best bet. It will also likely need setup work.
    If not, I agree with Mandoplumb; buy the Rogue and start saving.

Regarding setup, request a copy of Rob Meldrum's setup e-book:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...=1#post1196418

I started on a Rogue for $50 (part of a mandolin / guitar package that was $100 total). I had to put 3+ hrs of work to sand the bridge, correctly place the bridge, fix the nut, and etc. In the end, it was playable and I learned the basics well. I then upgraded to an nicer mandolin for $250 (forget the name - that's how nice it was haha) - it was certainly an improvement over the Rogue but still had to put work into it (although it took less time because I knew exactly what I had to do now). After that, I bought an Oscar Schmidt for ~$400 which was a small improvement (all the frets worked!!!). Then I bought my Gibson F9 from the Mandolin Store (~$3k) and I'm a snob now. I still have the Oscar Schmidt for festivals but the neck and feel are so much different, it's really difficult to play some times.

IMO, what you get for under $500 is all essentially the same. You'll probably need to do the setup, it probably will have some issues, and etc. I would just try to get out and play as many as you can in your price range - if you find any that feel "ok" (not great, just ok) - buy it.

When you get above $500, you start getting real differences in the instrument - though mostly they still need some love and setup work when you get them.
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

Quote Originally Posted by mbruno View Post
    what you get for under $500 is all essentially the same
    I disagree. There is a big range in instrument quality from $50-$500. Most are pretty poor, but there are some gems!
    The Kentucky KM-250 and other 200 series mandolins are excellent mandolins for that price. The Eastman MD305 is also.
    If you buy from a good mandolin dealer that does setup, you may not need to do anything with the instrument.
    I bought a Kentucky KM-272 from Elderly and they did a great job setting it up for me. Low action, no buzzing, straight neck, good intonation.
    The current Kentucky 200 series is a great instrument. Radiused fretboard, medium size frets, all solid wood and well made. Just make sure you buy it from a shop that will do a good job setting it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post

Good luck on your search ��
    That is an absolute steal. If I hadn’t just bought a pancake mandolin I would buy it. That is a way better mandolin than you normally get for that price.

Blog Entries

I second Colorado_Al. The Rogue, with decent setup work, will be quite playable. You won't be getting "that" sound from the Rogue, but by the time you figure out exactly which "that" sound you most want, you will have saved enough to shop around for it. And by then you'll be good enough to make "that" mandolin make "that" sound.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Thanks for the great replies, everyone! That Big Muddy is a great deal - I will have to talk to the boss about funds, but it is unlikely. The idea of borrowing or renting for a short while is also a good plan. No friends that I know play mandolin, but I will check with our local music rental places and see if they rent mandolins. I know they do band and orchestra instruments, but I'm not sure about folk instruments. If not, I will continue looking out for something used. If the wait is too long, I will find something in my budget and do some setup work on it myself with the aid of Rob Meldrum's e-book

You all have been extremely helpful and I greatly appreciate it!!

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I agree with those who recommend the Rogue, set up by yourself. The setup skills are things any mandolin player should be at least familiar with. Whether or not you choose to upgrade will depend on what you get out of an instrument, what you're going to use it for. If you just want to noodle around the house, the Rogue may be all you need. People here are VERY quick to upgrade, sometimes pretty often but for many people (myself included) a modest mandolin is all they need.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

You might also be able to find a used Rogue that a previous mandolinist set up and is now upgrading from, or a serviceable bowlback or flattop that a mandolinist trimming their collection down is selling.

Nothing much to add, just wanted to say hi and welcome. I started on a bowlback and it was a perfectly fine instrument to learn on, and you can get a used bowlback for about $100 give or take, you just have to worry about whether the neck is straight or if there are cracks that affect the sound -- your local pawn shop, Good Will/Salvation Army outlet or second-hand store might have some old mandolin hanging on the walls that might do if you look around. I picked up an old bandolim for $85 from a store that sold off what didn't sell at various area auctions and it's a perfectly fine gigging instrument (currently out on loan to a promising fiddle player). Plus relatives might be asked to be on the lookout for tag/garage sale instruments. Frankly, the old instruments I've mentioned are a chancy bag, but if you find something interesting, you can always take a photo and post it here and people will chime in on whether it's worth the money it's being sold at.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305