Thread: Lessons in SW Virginia?

Default Lessons in SW Virginia?

Does anyone happen to know of a good bluegrass mandolin teacher in southwest VA (New River Valley, ideally)?

Default Re: Lessons in SW Virginia?

That's where I grew up! Curious what the mandolin scene is like there these days. I took guitar lessons at Rocket Music throughout middle school and high school, don't recall seeing any mandolins hanging on the wall there though.

I bet if you contact Barr's Fiddle Shop in Galax, VA, they would be able to recommend someone to you.

4. The following members say thank you to Mando Mort for this post:

You may also try Fret Mill in Roanoke. They offer lessons and may know of someone in the NRV.

What part of southwest VA are you in?
    Https://www.reverbnation.com/chandlerbeavers/songs

"Never a teacher, always a student"

If you're willing to drive to Roanoke, you might be able to take lessons from Herschel Sizemore. He's particular about who he teaches, but he's helped to create some very good players over the years. I'll put together a short list of possibilities in the NRV and if you'll message me I'll give it to you. Ward Elliott

Thanks, everyone, for the ideas. I sort of figured that asking Ward Elliott was the thing to do, should of just done that at first - and I just went ahead and checked in with him.

I am Blacksburg, and just getting back into mandolin after a long layoff - and very happy that work happened to bring me up here a few years ago to where the good music happens.

Blacksburg is my hometown, it was nice growing up there with a music scene featuring a lot of different genres. If you haven't already you should check out the Floyd Country Store Friday night jamboree, might be a good place to meet other mandolinists and possible instructors. I also remember seeing some old time and bluegrass jams over at Mabry Mill. I might be migrating back to Virginia myself one of these days, we'll see.

10. The following members say thank you to Seter for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

You can always blow off the dust at the Market Square Jam!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Lots of great live music opportunities in SW VA. Whenever we go there to visit family, there are so many choices of live music to enjoy, it is great. If you go to the Fiddler's Convention in Galax in August, there are so many folks just jamming on street corners, you can meet some good folks and musicians.

Quote Originally Posted by Seter View Post
    I took guitar lessons at Rocket Music throughout middle school and high school, don't recall seeing any mandolins hanging on the wall there though.
    Ever since I've been here, Rocket Music has had a building and a sign on N. Main, but has never been open. I guess they are hibernating...

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    You can always blow off the dust at the Market Square Jam!
    Not until June, but yep it's there (and Floyd too!)

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Mort View Post
    If you go to the Fiddler's Convention in Galax in August, there are so many folks just jamming on street corners, you can meet some good folks and musicians.
    I'm only an hour away, but I have been so tied up in work that I've not gone. But Galax is on the calendar for sure this year!

Dont know if he is still around but Aaron Williams used to live in Blacksburg and is a world class mandolin player. I'd see if he is around and offering lessons
    Https://www.reverbnation.com/chandlerbeavers/songs

"Never a teacher, always a student"

Quote Originally Posted by ryspeer View Post
    Ever since I've been here, Rocket Music has had a building and a sign on N. Main, but has never been open. I guess they are hibernating...
    It used to be across from the library on Draper St. The owner (and my guitar teacher) Richard Jessee sold the store and moved to Austin in the late 00s, not sure what the nature of their operations is these days. Their website appears to work.