Thread: Two Old Hippies instruments

Default Two Old Hippies instruments

Long time reader of the Mandolin Cafe and mandolin player, never posted, got lots of good education reading Cafe-ers' comments and now making my first appearance:

My question--and I don't want to step on anybody's toes--is what experience do people have with Two Old Hippies' instruments? I'm not really asking about them in comparison to Bruce Weber's instruments, but how the TOH's instruments are working out for people? If you prefer to send me a PM, that's fine.

Default Re: Two Old Hippies instruments

I have one of their parlor guitars, and love it.

3. The following members say thank you to GDAE for this post:

The few I've played have been very nice mandolins and I would not be able to distinguish the difference though I'm no expert. A few new ones have shown up at Gryphon, who seem to be testing the waters, and another well respected shop, Sylvan in Santa Cruz has gone all in as a Weber dealer. That these two stores are carrying them would indicate quality to me.

Certainly there will be an element that will want a Montana Weber, or a Collings made before his passing, but correlating this to the actual instruments would be problematical.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Two Old Hippies is: Breedlove, Weber and Bedell. I have owned Breedlove and Weber products.

All three are good brands. I've played guitars and mandolins produced after the purchase by Two Old Hippies. For all three brands, products produced in the U.S. are produced in Bend, Oregon. There is no longer a Weber production facility in Montana.

Breedlove used to make mandolins and guitars. They recently eliminated their mandolin line. The legacy U.S. made Breedlove mandolins are very well regarded in the mandolin community. Breedlove guitars are some of the best. They also have a great lower priced entry guitar line.

Weber used to make mandolins and guitars. They stopped making guitars and focus on mandolins. For mandolins, they are the benchmark for mandolin production quality.

Bedell is a legacy brand of the owner. The current Bedell line of Guitars is very good and expensive. Not really aimed at the mass market though.

Think Bruce mentioned something about not competing until after March of this year. Perhaps he'll make a comeback with his own line-up again.
    • Seagull S8 • Weber Y2K6 • David Hudson Bloodwood Didgeridoo (C#) •

As you can see below, I own two Breedlove mandolins. Both were made in Bend, Oregon, and I love 'em both. Great tone and impeccable workmanship.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by DHopkins View Post
    As you can see below, I own two Breedlove mandolins. Both were made in Bend, Oregon, and I love 'em both. Great tone and impeccable workmanship.
    You can't get them anymore, unless you want the Chinese made crossovers.

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    You can't get them anymore, unless you want the Chinese made crossovers.
    Nope, and I'm not letting either of mine go!
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

I have a Weber Fern purchased this summer from Two Old Hippies. I have a hard time putting the damn thing down long enough to eat supper. I've never been so pleased with any purchase I've ever made.

I have a Breedlove Rogue and an Orca and both are fantastic mandolins.
    No plans to ever let them go.

12. The following members say thank you to Ancient for this post:

I came very close to buying a Bedell parlor guitar that played and sounded very nice. However, the difference in the new price (plus tax) and what I saw a couple of used ones going for made it difficult to justify. I’m bad about buying and selling when something new strikes me. But it did sound nice. I have a Bruce Weber Gallatin that is nice, but haven’t tried one since he left. I’ve seen some videos with Tom Bedell, seems like a cool, committed guy.

I purchased the finest mandolin I have ever owned at TOH, in Nashville. A Bruce Weber Sr. signed Weber River F-14. I hated to part with it, but this year I had a mountain of medical bills and selling it helped me pay those bills off. Life happens. I believe Carter's is now a Weber Specialty Dealer in Nashville.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by willkamm View Post
    I purchased the finest mandolin I have ever owned at TOH ... mountain of medical bills and selling it helped me pay those bills off.
    Very sorry to hear about the medical bills. What a world we live in.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

16. The following members say thank you to belbein for this post:

I have a Bedell guitar. Wonderful instrument.

Also, I have a Breedlove China made mandolin. I would not recommend it. Very screechy e strings, plays very stiff.

Quote Originally Posted by belbein View Post
    Very sorry to hear about the medical bills. What a world we live in.
    The River F was the largest asset I had outside of our house and cars. I felt to hang onto it would be selfish where my family was concerned. Those bills are paid off and we're good to go now. Planning a trip in late March to the Charleston Bluegrass festival.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

here's a thread on my recent Weber Yellowstone. short story is I love this thing. Hands down, the best mandolin I've owned for my playing style. The tone is very clear, extremely well intonated, plays extremely easy with mediums and came with a very low action setting. Well balanced over all the courses.

I have owned 4 other pre-2OH webers, a few Northfields, a few Collings(A and F), Pava, and probably something else I'm forgetting.

This Yellowstone is the top shelf. build quality and finish are excellent as well.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...d-a-pot-of-tea

20. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J-45er View Post
    Two Old Hippies is: Breedlove, Weber and Bedell. . . .
    Three guys equal two hippies? Like - two old hippies and one young Junior Leaguer?

Which one isn't a hippie?

=O.

I have a Yellowstone Mandocello that is a beast of rumbling awesomeness! Excellent fit and finish, build quality, and gorgeous woods. Bought from TMS and came very well set up. Build completed in late 2016 and signed by someone whose last name isn’t Weber. I made it a point to not look at the label until after I’d judged the instrument on its own merits, and in doing so wasn’t disappointed at all when I finally did check it. Probably would have been had I looked first, but I’d have gotten over it with the first bass run and chord.

I remember seeing a post from Trevor Moyle of TAMCO in another thread stating that he’s seen no drop off in quality since the Webers moved back out to Montana. That input, along with TMS’s, gave me the confidence to pull the trigger, and I’m glad I did!

While I don’t like that he Epiphoned Breedlove, Weber is Bedell’s flagship mandolin line. As a guy who knows quality instruments and is a shrewd business man, I can’t imagine he’d allow any drop in quality of that line or his signature guitar line. Time will tell, I guess...
    Chuck

Builder friend of mine in Asheville area who reps them in his store told me the first ones coming out of Oregon were still good/ and still signed by Bruce, as the 2013 Black Ice that I own is - but he has said that in his opinion they're now clearly slipping................... unfortunate. One man's opinion anyway. Some may think the new ones are just as good...................

Personally I think that when Bruce begins his new line after the non compete expires, folks will want his product, not his old designs made by others at TOH. I still would take any Weber over an equal level Collings etc.............

Bruce is the coolest Cat ever, BTW.