Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 2018 Winter NAMM Show

Default Re: 2018 Winter NAMM Show

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Not surprised the new Northfield cases will make a splash because they are quite impressive in person. They are super-light and come in a variety of external materials. The light tan color is actually a smooth surface while the green is more fuzzy and probably not something you'd want to stick case stickers one. I think this is a great option for someone that doesn't need something worthy of rough road and travel protection like a Calton, Pegasus, and similar choices. Will see more of them in a bit as meeting up with the Northfield crew for gnarly taco night at a dive joint.

So much more to post. Long, busy day, lots of real exciting new things going on in the mandolin world and some announcements can't wait to share.

Meanwhile, get over and meet the delightful young Maegen Wells, 10 yr. high end archtop guitar builder now crafting gorgeous mandolins with her own twist. All A models with an F planned for the near future. Very talented young lady that apparently started building guitars in high school. More on her later. http://www.maegenwellsguitars.com/

Name:  maegan.jpg
Views: 3187
Size:  90.4 KB
    I met Maegen at the Santa Barbara International Acoustic Celebration this past August. She is a wonderful friendly and open person and her mandolins really sing! I had the opportunity of playing one of her A-style oval hole mandolins, and it had a beautiful sweet and even tone. I guess the mandolin is like the maker!

Blog Entries

Her work is flawless, very high quality, and I thought it was an outstanding sounding instrument. Kathy Pelosi of Ellis literally grabbed my hand and said "come with me, you need to see her work, it's first-rate." Coming from someone that high at Ellis/Pava/Precision Pearl that's a serious compliment. And yes, she is as delightful as you could possibly imagine.

Scott, Thanks for taking the time to meet Walter and me at the show. We really enjoyed the visit. Next time we'll get a picture together.
    I have a stack of Prescription for MAS stickers left, free to good homes. Just send me a S.A.S.E.
    Cathy Pelosi

Precision Pearl Inc.
    Ellis Mandolins
    Pava Mandolins

On the subject of female mandolin luthiers, there's Chloe Swantner of Brooklyln Lutherie:
    http://brooklynlutherie.com/

Some discussion of mandolins and mandolas on the home page, but no photos thereof.

We shouldn't forget the late Dixie Michell either.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrmando For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy View Post
    Scott, Thanks for taking the time to meet Walter and me at the show. We really enjoyed the visit. Next time we'll get a picture together.
    I have a stack of Prescription for MAS stickers left, free to good homes. Just send me a S.A.S.E.
    Ditto, enjoyed meeting you both.

For anyone that missed it, here's the MAS stickers for Ellis Mandolins she's offering up. Mine is sitting beside my computer at the moment. They're really nice.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Many thanks Adrian,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

Good taco stalls are a thing of joy and to be encouraged. I will be in that part of LA in May and have noted the name. Thank you, Scott. Still remember the BBQ in KC!

Quote Originally Posted by ukrobbiej View Post
    Was this year’s NAMM so dull that the only things worth talking about are some expensive cardboard cases and Taco shops? What about the Weber and Collings booths? Would loved to have more info on the new Myrtle and Cedar Weber for instance. No photos?

Boy, I understand the whole trade show “sensory overload” feelings expressed earlier. Having been involved in two shows at McCormick Place from the vendor side and the jewelry show in Vegas as well as at the Javitz center in NYC as a buyer. One day is hard enough but, a day of set up, three of show and the flurry of “get out of Dodge!” on the last one will take the shine off the dime for sure! Best one I went to was the Javitz show, every one from the city was amazingly courteous! It was after 9-11 and locals were glad that people had the faith in their fellow man to come and enjoy the city. Worst was Vegas, from the time I got off the plane, I felt like every single person in town was reaching in my pocket! The show was a ball though.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

New favorite case sticker picked up at the show.

Name:  ellis.jpg
Views: 2386
Size:  86.8 KB
    Got mine! Thanks for the tip, Scott.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ellisIMG_1775.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	986.9 KB 
ID:	165340  

New favorite case sticker picked up at the show.

Name:  ellis.jpg
Views: 2386
Size:  86.8 KB
    Got mine. Thanks for the tip, Scott.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ellisIMG_1775.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	986.9 KB 
ID:	165341  

Blog Entries

Those stickers are free, available here.