Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Winter NAMM Show

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: 2018 Winter NAMM Show

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    I was wondering this morning after seeing a video on PegheadNation about Pava, how many women mandolin makers there are. Pava Knezevic, Lauri Girouard, Laura Ratcliff, any others that we should know about?
    Gail Hester
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pheffernan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Place is a total blast and the food is hands down the best street style tacos I've ever had. We've decided this is an annual absolute must return every year.

Taqueria Los Gueros, 628 W. La Palma Ave., Anaheim. Place was jam packed the entire evening.

Name:  tacos.jpg
Views: 3546
Size:  75.8 KB
    Sounds great Scott! Love finding those hole in the wall places with delicious food at great prices.

I don't know how long you're planing to stay, but if by chance you're a spicy noodle lover and looking for a delectable dining experience tonight with your honey, try ANQI at South Coast Plaza. A 20 minute drive from Anaheim. Kind of pricey (compared to Los Gueros) but a memorable experience. Vietnamese fusion with very interesting takes on some of the simplest ingredients. Great noodles, and even though it looks shishi, not at all pretentious. As per all of SoCal, casual attire is perfectly acceptable.

http://www.houseofan.com/anqi/

I wanted to thank you for being there this year and hope you can do what YouTube seems to fail at, i.e. show us some acoustic instruments and support gear.

Everything is focused on accessories or bling, stompboxes or microamps, elitist collectibles. Thank God Taylor got any attention for its revolutionary bracing. Either that or, who's not at NAMM this year. It's frustrating for acoustic musicians.

Thanks for the response! Looks like you had a lot of fun at the show!

Blog Entries

Thanks for the notes. We returned very late last night, back home in Kansas. Just a one-day event for us, marathon from start to finish. A full day there is as about as much as I want to handle. Neglected to mention got to meet Joe Caruso and his crew from The Music Emporium near Boston. Long-time supporters of the Cafe, good people doing incredible business.

Those that know me better know I'm crazier about food than mandolins, but not necessarily high/fine dining. I like be be off the grid everyone wants to be on. Places with bars on windows, badly painted interiors, hope your tires are still on your car kind of places with people that really know how to cook. The best cuisines of the world are born out of poverty, as is much music. That street taco place is a gem, five star for poor people. We spent a good couple of hours Friday morning at Ink & Bean Coffee Saloon and Wordshop 3-4 miles away from the show. One of the best espresso shops ever. There's also a killer vegan restaurant near there called Healthy Junk that's doing remarkable stuff. I'm no vegan/vegetarian but this food is remarkable. Got a proper Asian noodle fix at the very fine Zzamong in Korea town in a dicey strip mall in LA on the way to LAX.

Thanks for the tip on ANQI. I'll check it out. Also a good Chinese Muslim joint I've dined at 6-8 miles from the show, Mas’ Chinese Islamic Restaurant. How about that name?

Any good music trip has to include a lot of interesting food. It's why Queens is really almost a hobby for me with visits 3-4 times a year just for food exploration.
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Jan-27-2018 at 10:09pm.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Are these new Northfield cases as resistant as Calton or Hiscox? I need a waterproof case for the gigs I can go by bike. Also it's considered a flight case? By the way, the square Northfield Airloom is a secure flightcase?

Quote Originally Posted by roberto View Post
    Are these new Northfield cases as resistant as Calton or Hiscox? I need a waterproof case for the gigs I can go by bike. Also it's considered a flight case? By the way, the square Northfield Airloom is a secure flightcase?
    Easy to miss with all the beautiful pictures. On the previous page, Northfield says that it's not a flight case.

10. The following members say thank you to trabb for this post:

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Thanks for the notes. We returned very late last night, back home in Kansas. Just a one-day event for us, marathon from start to finish. A full day there is as about as much as I want to handle. Neglected to mention got to meet Joe Caruso and his crew from The Music Emporium near Boston. Long-time supporters of the Cafe, good people doing incredible business.

Those that know me better know I'm crazier about food than mandolins, but not necessarily high/fine dining. I like be be off the grid everyone wants to be on. Places with bars on windows, badly painted interiors, hope your tires are still on your car kind of places with people that really know how to cook. The best cuisines of the world are born out of poverty, as is much music. That street taco place is a gem, five star for poor people. We spent a good couple of hours Friday morning at Ink & Bean Coffee Saloon and Wordshop 3-4 miles away from the show. One of the best espresso shops ever. There's also a killer vegan restaurant near there called Healthy Junk that's doing remarkable stuff. I'm no vegan/vegetarian but this food is remarkable. Got a proper Asian noodle fix at the very fine Zzamong in Korea town in a dicey strip mall in LA on the way to LAX.

Thanks for the tip on ANQI. I'll check it out. Also a good Chinese Muslim joint I've dined at 6-8 miles from the show, Mas’ Chinese Islamic Restaurant. How about that name?

Any good music trip has to include a lot of interesting food. It's why Queens is really almost a hobby for me with visits 3-4 times a year just for food exploration.
    So then we have the new trend in music marketing, sort of a Two Old Hippies thing: taco shop in one half, mandolins in the other half, both supporting each other. I guess there will need to be a hand-washing station in between.

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    Gail Hester
    Elle Jayne Henderson, maybe...

She痴 Wayne痴 daughter and is now working out of her own shop in Asheville, NC. Know she痴 building some amazing guitars and ukuleles, but am not certain about mandolins. But, she popped into my head when I saw that question...

Scott, thanks for the pics and commentary! Looks like some exciting stuff happening. Would love to see one of those 915s in person. When I saw the first small pic I wasn稚 impressed, but the full size one you put up is gorgeous! That said, if I were going to get up into that price point for Eastman, I壇 probably go with one of their Giacomel tributes...

Also, very glad to hear TME is thriving. There are some awesome acoustic instrument stores right now, and I love having the options they offer...
    Chuck

13. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by trabb View Post
    Easy to miss with all the beautiful pictures. On the previous page, Northfield says that it's not a flight case.
    Oops... Sorry. Thanks!
    Los Hermanos Cubero
    Youtube Channel
    Cubero's Facebook
    My Facebook
    Instagram:
    @hermanos_cubero
    @robertocubero_

Blog Entries

Next year you will need to check out King Taco.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Was this year’s NAMM so dull that the only things worth talking about are some expensive cardboard cases and Taco shops? What about the Weber and Collings booths? Would loved to have more info on the new Myrtle and Cedar Weber for instance. No photos?

If Adrian from Northfield would very kindly answer a question - Could the new Airloom case be available direct from the German manufacturer - Jakob Winter ?. I'm not meaning at 'production cost',but at the cost in Euros or in UK 」's equivalent of the US cost.
    This would make it a far more attractive proposition to us 'outsiders',instead of having to fork out shipping cost + tax to import from the USA. It would also give us one additional choice in an already pretty deprive market for a decent case (especially in the UK). We'd still have to pay for 'shipping',but there'd be no tax on it as it's within the EU.

Would it be possible for that to be done ?. It's unfortunate for many US stores/companies,that the increased shipping costs over the last several years,have pretty much prevented us outside the US from buying from them. So,as this case is actually manufactured in Europe,could we source one from there 'direct' without the additional 25% (approx.) add ons ??,
    Ivan
    Last edited by Ivan Kelsall; Jan-29-2018 at 5:56am.
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thirty-six years of NAMM shows enduring the business-crushing din of ambient din, this sign from Sunday is my hands-down favorite.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9080.jpg 
Views:	561 
Size:	365.7 KB 
ID:	164471
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ted Eschliman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    If Adrian from Northfield would very kindly answer a question - Could the new Airloom case be available direct from the German manufacturer - Jakob Winter ?. I'm not meaning at 'production cost',but at the cost in Euros or in UK 」's equivalent of the US cost.
    This would make it a far more attractive proposition to us 'outsiders',instead of having to fork out shipping cost + tax to import from the USA. It would also give us one additional choice in an already pretty deprive market for a decent case (especially in the UK). We'd still have to pay for 'shipping',but there'd be no tax on it as it's within the EU.

Would it be possible for that to be done ?. It's unfortunate for many US stores/companies,that the increased shipping costs over the last several years,have pretty much prevented us outside the US from buying from them. So,as this case is actually manufactured in Europe,could we source one from there 'direct' without the additional 25% (approx.) add ons ??,
    Ivan
    Hi there. Yes, we are currently working on a fulfillment option via Frankfurt for interested buyers in Europe. Please keep in touch - we hope to have something sorted in the spring. -A

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Northfield mando For This Useful Post:

So Ted, was it a banjo manufacturer that violated the noise boundary?
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by ukrobbiej View Post
    Was this year’s NAMM so dull that the only things worth talking about are some expensive cardboard cases and Taco shops? What about the Weber and Collings booths? Would loved to have more info on the new Myrtle and Cedar Weber for instance. No photos?
    I know FB links don't always work the best but Weber did post some video here:

https://www.facebook.com/WeberFineAcousticInstruments/
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

Blog Entries

There is a custom BB Code tag for Facebook videos we created that requires you are able to grab the video ID and then insert it between two tags. It doesn't show a video "start" button but if you click the image the video will begin.

[fbv]10156366877709903[/fbv]

[fbv]10156367104254903[/fbv]

[fbv]10156366819159903[/fbv]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Eschliman View Post
    Thirty-six years of NAMM shows enduring the business-crushing din of ambient din, this sign from Sunday is my hands-down favorite.

The noise level in Hall D near the Calton booth was brutal. Some cat demo'ing a plug-in for a guitar across the way that made it sound like the epicenter of a full-scale bomb drop in a war. Drago at Schertler had earplugs he was wearing when he wasn't visiting with someone.

26. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Blog Entries

I'm very glad to see the Punk Rock Girl had returned and still sported that awesome do (in different colors this year). She still looks great and sounds very interesting. I'm similarly all about food on business trips once the business is squared away.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

The noise level in Hall D near the Calton booth was brutal. Some cat demo'ing a plug-in for a guitar across the way that made it sound like the epicenter of a full-scale bomb drop in a war. Drago at Schertler had earplugs he was wearing when he wasn't visiting with someone.
    Ya gotta wonder why some enterprising person hasn't put together an "all-acoustic" version of NAMM... with no amplification (other than maybe low-wattage, acoustic-instrument amps) allowed in the main display area. Now THAT would be something I'd like to attend...

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glassweb For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I love these NAMM threads. It has cost me money. A single picture, on a thread like this, of the National RM-1 when it came out, cracked open my wallet. The moth flew out and somehow funds became available.

I have never been to NAMM but I have been to a few trade shows, in NYC, one show for greeting cards, and another for gifts, and another for scarves, jewelry and women's accessories.

I know that after a couple of hours I was cooked. Your eye can only take in so much new design and flash and dazzle. At some point you just need to sit down with eyes closed. Put on one of those eye masks. Its not pain, not like hurting pain, its just visual overload. All of a sudden nothing is interesting and you are just tired of seeing things.

I cannot imagine combining visual overload with sound overload. After one day, I am not sure I could go back, regardless how much I wanted to. The brain just gets saturated.

Maybe its just me. Maybe I am more sensitive than many. But I think Scott is providing an amazing service here. Seriously. I get to see the highlights and share the enthusiasm, and not have to go. Its wonderful. Scott your efforts on my behalf are greatly appreciated.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

31. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Blog Entries

I enjoy the pix and reports but have one complaint about the show---none of these mandolins have enough strings.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

33. The following members say thank you to Tom Wright for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Eschliman View Post

Last time I exhibited at NAMM I almost got into a fistfight with the owner of a speaker company whose both was across the aisle from mine. NAMM officials came to his booth to advise him he was exceeding the db level. For whatever reason, he thought I'd "told the teacher" on him and started cursing me out.

When I told him I wasn't the person who "told the teacher" but I was glad somebody did because I couldn't do business with people, he replied, "Hey, Mannnnnn, it's a guitar show. It's s'posed to be loud."

That was my last NAMM Show.

Quote Originally Posted by Northfield mando View Post
    Hi everyone. Greetings from LA. Still recovering from the most awesome taco night possible with Scott T! Thanks for all the inquiry and excitement surrounding our new Recurve Case. I値l try to answer some of the questions here.

First - our website is down for another hour. Call us if you need something right away. 877-367-7304. It値l be back up soon.

Case Price: it値l retail for $275 for the Grey and $295 for the green and natural. Lots more pictures and such going into a brand new website we値l be launching in the next 2 weeks.

Cases will be available starting around March 1st. We値l keep everyone updated.

Exterior is water resistant - natural one is what I would call water proof because of the final coating. Others have a textile that is very water resistant but they池e not sprayed with any wp chemicals, this could be easily done but we opted not to.

Fits most mandos with a Tone Gard on. Stickers work better on natural version. Very light weight and so nice to carry on trips. Not meant to be a flight Case or compete in strength against a Calton or Hoffee. It痴 meant to be an alternative to disposable zipped up foam cases.

We値l show a lot more very soon.
    All the best everyone - Adrian
    Hi Adrian,

I did read that both A's & F's will fit. Does that include the short neck F4?

The reason I ask, I have a couple fiberglass, or shell cases that are designed for both A & F, but my F4 doesn't fit in them. It 'kinda' fits in one (scary!), but definitely not in the other.

Thanks for any info you can provide.