Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 112

Thread: 2018 Winter NAMM Show

  1. #76
    My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    2,413

    Default Re: 2018 Winter NAMM Show

    Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    I was wondering this morning after seeing a video on PegheadNation about Pava, how many women mandolin makers there are. Pava Knezevic, Lauri Girouard, Laura Ratcliff, any others that we should know about?
    Gail Hester
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2011 Passernig F5

  2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pheffernan For This Useful Post:


  3. #77
    Registered User mtucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles CA
    Posts
    1,310

    Default Re: 2018 Winter NAMM Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Place is a total blast and the food is hands down the best street style tacos I've ever had. We've decided this is an annual absolute must return every year.

    Taqueria Los Gueros, 628 W. La Palma Ave., Anaheim. Place was jam packed the entire evening.

    Name:  tacos.jpg
Views: 2659
Size:  75.8 KB
    Sounds great Scott! Love finding those hole in the wall places with delicious food at great prices.

    I don't know how long you're planing to stay, but if by chance you're a spicy noodle lover and looking for a delectable dining experience tonight with your honey, try ANQI at South Coast Plaza. A 20 minute drive from Anaheim. Kind of pricey (compared to Los Gueros) but a memorable experience. Vietnamese fusion with very interesting takes on some of the simplest ingredients. Great noodles, and even though it looks shishi, not at all pretentious. As per all of SoCal, casual attire is perfectly acceptable.

    http://www.houseofan.com/anqi/

  4. #78

    Default Re: 2018 Winter NAMM Show

    I wanted to thank you for being there this year and hope you can do what YouTube seems to fail at, i.e. show us some acoustic instruments and support gear.

    Everything is focused on accessories or bling, stompboxes or microamps, elitist collectibles. Thank God Taylor got any attention for its revolutionary bracing. Either that or, who's not at NAMM this year. It's frustrating for acoustic musicians.

  5. #79

    Default Re: 2018 Winter NAMM Show

    Thanks for the response! Looks like you had a lot of fun at the show!

  6. #80
    Administrator Mandolin Cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Posts
    1,293
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: 2018 Winter NAMM Show

    Thanks for the notes. We returned very late last night, back home in Kansas. Just a one-day event for us, marathon from start to finish. A full day there is as about as much as I want to handle. Neglected to mention got to meet Joe Caruso and his crew from The Music Emporium near Boston. Long-time supporters of the Cafe, good people doing incredible business.

    Those that know me better know I'm crazier about food than mandolins, but not necessarily high/fine dining. I like be be off the grid everyone wants to be on. Places with bars on windows, badly painted interiors, hope your tires are still on your car kind of places with people that really know how to cook. The best cuisines of the world are born out of poverty, as is much music. That street taco place is a gem, five star for poor people. We spent a good couple of hours Friday morning at Ink & Bean Coffee Saloon and Wordshop 3-4 miles away from the show. One of the best espresso shops ever. There's also a killer vegan restaurant near there called Healthy Junk that's doing remarkable stuff. I'm no vegan/vegetarian but this food is remarkable. Got a proper Asian noodle fix at the very fine Zzamong in Korea town in a dicey strip mall in LA on the way to LAX.

    Thanks for the tip on ANQI. I'll check it out. Also a good Chinese Muslim joint I've dined at 6-8 miles from the show, Mas’ Chinese Islamic Restaurant. How about that name?

    Any good music trip has to include a lot of interesting food. It's why Queens is really almost a hobby for me with visits 3-4 times a year just for food exploration.
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Jan-27-2018 at 10:09pm.

  7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:


  8. #81
    Iberian mandolin roberto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    334

    Default Re: 2018 Winter NAMM Show

    Are these new Northfield cases as resistant as Calton or Hiscox? I need a waterproof case for the gigs I can go by bike. Also it's considered a flight case? By the way, the square Northfield Airloom is a secure flightcase?

  9. #82
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hickory, NC
    Posts
    94

    Default Re: 2018 Winter NAMM Show

    Quote Originally Posted by roberto View Post
    Are these new Northfield cases as resistant as Calton or Hiscox? I need a waterproof case for the gigs I can go by bike. Also it's considered a flight case? By the way, the square Northfield Airloom is a secure flightcase?
    Easy to miss with all the beautiful pictures. On the previous page, Northfield says that it's not a flight case.

  10. The following members say thank you to trabb for this post:


  11. #83
    poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Madison, Ct
    Posts
    2,298

    Default Re: 2018 Winter NAMM Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Thanks for the notes. We returned very late last night, back home in Kansas. Just a one-day event for us, marathon from start to finish. A full day there is as about as much as I want to handle. Neglected to mention got to meet Joe Caruso and his crew from The Music Emporium near Boston. Long-time supporters of the Cafe, good people doing incredible business.

    Those that know me better know I'm crazier about food than mandolins, but not necessarily high/fine dining. I like be be off the grid everyone wants to be on. Places with bars on windows, badly painted interiors, hope your tires are still on your car kind of places with people that really know how to cook. The best cuisines of the world are born out of poverty, as is much music. That street taco place is a gem, five star for poor people. We spent a good couple of hours Friday morning at Ink & Bean Coffee Saloon and Wordshop 3-4 miles away from the show. One of the best espresso shops ever. There's also a killer vegan restaurant near there called Healthy Junk that's doing remarkable stuff. I'm no vegan/vegetarian but this food is remarkable. Got a proper Asian noodle fix at the very fine Zzamong in Korea town in a dicey strip mall in LA on the way to LAX.

    Thanks for the tip on ANQI. I'll check it out. Also a good Chinese Muslim joint I've dined at 6-8 miles from the show, Mas’ Chinese Islamic Restaurant. How about that name?

    Any good music trip has to include a lot of interesting food. It's why Queens is really almost a hobby for me with visits 3-4 times a year just for food exploration.
    So then we have the new trend in music marketing, sort of a Two Old Hippies thing: taco shop in one half, mandolins in the other half, both supporting each other. I guess there will need to be a hand-washing station in between.

  12. #84
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,341

    Default Re: 2018 Winter NAMM Show

    Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    Gail Hester
    Elle Jayne Henderson, maybe...

    She’s Wayne’s daughter and is now working out of her own shop in Asheville, NC. Know she’s building some amazing guitars and ukuleles, but am not certain about mandolins. But, she popped into my head when I saw that question...

    Scott, thanks for the pics and commentary! Looks like some exciting stuff happening. Would love to see one of those 915s in person. When I saw the first small pic I wasn’t impressed, but the full size one you put up is gorgeous! That said, if I were going to get up into that price point for Eastman, I’d probably go with one of their Giacomel tributes...

    Also, very glad to hear TME is thriving. There are some awesome acoustic instrument stores right now, and I love having the options they offer...
    Chuck

  13. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:


  14. #85
    Iberian mandolin roberto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    334

    Default Re: 2018 Winter NAMM Show

    Quote Originally Posted by trabb View Post
    Easy to miss with all the beautiful pictures. On the previous page, Northfield says that it's not a flight case.
    Oops... Sorry. Thanks!

  15. #86
    Gilchrist (pick) Owner! jasona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,928
    Blog Entries
    38

    Default Re: 2018 Winter NAMM Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Thanks for the notes. We returned very late last night, back home in Kansas. Just a one-day event for us, marathon from start to finish. A full day there is as about as much as I want to handle. Neglected to mention got to meet Joe Caruso and his crew from The Music Emporium near Boston. Long-time supporters of the Cafe, good people doing incredible business.

    Those that know me better know I'm crazier about food than mandolins, but not necessarily high/fine dining. I like be be off the grid everyone wants to be on. Places with bars on windows, badly painted interiors, hope your tires are still on your car kind of places with people that really know how to cook. The best cuisines of the world are born out of poverty, as is much music. That street taco place is a gem, five star for poor people. We spent a good couple of hours Friday morning at Ink & Bean Coffee Saloon and Wordshop 3-4 miles away from the show. One of the best espresso shops ever. There's also a killer vegan restaurant near there called Healthy Junk that's doing remarkable stuff. I'm no vegan/vegetarian but this food is remarkable. Got a proper Asian noodle fix at the very fine Zzamong in Korea town in a dicey strip mall in LA on the way to LAX.

    Thanks for the tip on ANQI. I'll check it out. Also a good Chinese Muslim joint I've dined at 6-8 miles from the show, Mas’ Chinese Islamic Restaurant. How about that name?

    Any good music trip has to include a lot of interesting food. It's why Queens is really almost a hobby for me with visits 3-4 times a year just for food exploration.
    Next year you will need to check out King Taco.
    Jason Anderson

    "...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

    Stumbling Towards Competence

  16. #87
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Southampton UK
    Posts
    197

    Default Re: 2018 Winter NAMM Show

    Was this year’s NAMM so dull that the only things worth talking about are some expensive cardboard cases and Taco shops? What about the Weber and Collings booths? Would loved to have more info on the new Myrtle and Cedar Weber for instance. No photos?

  17. #88
    Registered User Ivan Kelsall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Manchester - Lancashire - NW England
    Posts
    13,734

    Default Re: 2018 Winter NAMM Show

    If Adrian from Northfield would very kindly answer a question - Could the new Airloom case be available direct from the German manufacturer - Jakob Winter ?. I'm not meaning at 'production cost',but at the cost in Euros or in UK £'s equivalent of the US cost.
    This would make it a far more attractive proposition to us 'outsiders',instead of having to fork out shipping cost + tax to import from the USA. It would also give us one additional choice in an already pretty deprive market for a decent case (especially in the UK). We'd still have to pay for 'shipping',but there'd be no tax on it as it's within the EU.

    Would it be possible for that to be done ?. It's unfortunate for many US stores/companies,that the increased shipping costs over the last several years,have pretty much prevented us outside the US from buying from them. So,as this case is actually manufactured in Europe,could we source one from there 'direct' without the additional 25% (approx.) add ons ??,
    Ivan
    Last edited by Ivan Kelsall; Jan-29-2018 at 5:56am.
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

  18. #89
    Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    4,301
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: 2018 Winter NAMM Show

    Thirty-six years of NAMM shows enduring the business-crushing din of ambient din, this sign from Sunday is my hands-down favorite.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9080.jpg 
Views:	450 
Size:	365.7 KB 
ID:	164471
    Ted Eschliman
    Tenor Guitar Enthusiast

    www.JazzMando.com
    Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

  19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ted Eschliman For This Useful Post:


  20. #90

    Default Re: 2018 Winter NAMM Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    If Adrian from Northfield would very kindly answer a question - Could the new Airloom case be available direct from the German manufacturer - Jakob Winter ?. I'm not meaning at 'production cost',but at the cost in Euros or in UK £'s equivalent of the US cost.
    This would make it a far more attractive proposition to us 'outsiders',instead of having to fork out shipping cost + tax to import from the USA. It would also give us one additional choice in an already pretty deprive market for a decent case (especially in the UK). We'd still have to pay for 'shipping',but there'd be no tax on it as it's within the EU.

    Would it be possible for that to be done ?. It's unfortunate for many US stores/companies,that the increased shipping costs over the last several years,have pretty much prevented us outside the US from buying from them. So,as this case is actually manufactured in Europe,could we source one from there 'direct' without the additional 25% (approx.) add ons ??,
    Ivan
    Hi there. Yes, we are currently working on a fulfillment option via Frankfurt for interested buyers in Europe. Please keep in touch - we hope to have something sorted in the spring. -A

  21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Northfield mando For This Useful Post:


  22. #91
    Registered User Timbofood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI.
    Posts
    6,424

    Default Re: 2018 Winter NAMM Show

    So Ted, was it a banjo manufacturer that violated the noise boundary?
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

  23. #92

    Default Re: 2018 Winter NAMM Show

    Quote Originally Posted by ukrobbiej View Post
    Was this year’s NAMM so dull that the only things worth talking about are some expensive cardboard cases and Taco shops? What about the Weber and Collings booths? Would loved to have more info on the new Myrtle and Cedar Weber for instance. No photos?
    I know FB links don't always work the best but Weber did post some video here:

    https://www.facebook.com/WeberFineAcousticInstruments/
    Northfield NF5S
    Bayard Guitar bodied octave mandolin
    Breedlove Revival 000 guitar
    Gernandt Irish Bouzouki
    www.singletonstreet.com

  24. #93
    Administrator Mandolin Cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Posts
    1,293
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: 2018 Winter NAMM Show

    There is a custom BB Code tag for Facebook videos we created that requires you are able to grab the video ID and then insert it between two tags. It doesn't show a video "start" button but if you click the image the video will begin.






  25. #94
    Administrator Mandolin Cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Posts
    1,293
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: 2018 Winter NAMM Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Eschliman View Post
    Thirty-six years of NAMM shows enduring the business-crushing din of ambient din, this sign from Sunday is my hands-down favorite.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9080.jpg 
Views:	450 
Size:	365.7 KB 
ID:	164471
    The noise level in Hall D near the Calton booth was brutal. Some cat demo'ing a plug-in for a guitar across the way that made it sound like the epicenter of a full-scale bomb drop in a war. Drago at Schertler had earplugs he was wearing when he wasn't visiting with someone.

  26. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:


  27. #95
    Moderator JEStanek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pottstown, Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    13,645
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: 2018 Winter NAMM Show

    I'm very glad to see the Punk Rock Girl had returned and still sported that awesome do (in different colors this year). She still looks great and sounds very interesting. I'm similarly all about food on business trips once the business is squared away.

    Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

    + Give Blood, Save a Life +

  28. #96
    Registered User Glassweb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    2,553

    Default Re: 2018 Winter NAMM Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    The noise level in Hall D near the Calton booth was brutal. Some cat demo'ing a plug-in for a guitar across the way that made it sound like the epicenter of a full-scale bomb drop in a war. Drago at Schertler had earplugs he was wearing when he wasn't visiting with someone.
    Ya gotta wonder why some enterprising person hasn't put together an "all-acoustic" version of NAMM... with no amplification (other than maybe low-wattage, acoustic-instrument amps) allowed in the main display area. Now THAT would be something I'd like to attend...

  29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glassweb For This Useful Post:


  30. #97
    Innocent Bystander JeffD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    22,674
    Blog Entries
    51

    Default Re: 2018 Winter NAMM Show

    I love these NAMM threads. It has cost me money. A single picture, on a thread like this, of the National RM-1 when it came out, cracked open my wallet. The moth flew out and somehow funds became available.

    I have never been to NAMM but I have been to a few trade shows, in NYC, one show for greeting cards, and another for gifts, and another for scarves, jewelry and women's accessories.

    I know that after a couple of hours I was cooked. Your eye can only take in so much new design and flash and dazzle. At some point you just need to sit down with eyes closed. Put on one of those eye masks. Its not pain, not like hurting pain, its just visual overload. All of a sudden nothing is interesting and you are just tired of seeing things.

    I cannot imagine combining visual overload with sound overload. After one day, I am not sure I could go back, regardless how much I wanted to. The brain just gets saturated.

    Maybe its just me. Maybe I am more sensitive than many. But I think Scott is providing an amazing service here. Seriously. I get to see the highlights and share the enthusiasm, and not have to go. Its wonderful. Scott your efforts on my behalf are greatly appreciated.
    Indulge responsibly!

    The entire staff
    funny....

  31. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:


  32. #98
    Registered User Tom Wright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Rockville, MD
    Posts
    1,473
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: 2018 Winter NAMM Show

    I enjoy the pix and reports but have one complaint about the show---none of these mandolins have enough strings.
    Blog--Miniature Orchestra
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    Videos--YouTube
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

  33. The following members say thank you to Tom Wright for this post:


  34. #99

    Default Re: 2018 Winter NAMM Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Eschliman View Post
    Thirty-six years of NAMM shows enduring the business-crushing din of ambient din, this sign from Sunday is my hands-down favorite.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9080.jpg 
Views:	450 
Size:	365.7 KB 
ID:	164471
    Last time I exhibited at NAMM I almost got into a fistfight with the owner of a speaker company whose both was across the aisle from mine. NAMM officials came to his booth to advise him he was exceeding the db level. For whatever reason, he thought I'd "told the teacher" on him and started cursing me out.

    When I told him I wasn't the person who "told the teacher" but I was glad somebody did because I couldn't do business with people, he replied, "Hey, Mannnnnn, it's a guitar show. It's s'posed to be loud."

    That was my last NAMM Show.

  35. #100

    Default Re: 2018 Winter NAMM Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Northfield mando View Post
    Hi everyone. Greetings from LA. Still recovering from the most awesome taco night possible with Scott T! Thanks for all the inquiry and excitement surrounding our new Recurve Case. I’ll try to answer some of the questions here.

    First - our website is down for another hour. Call us if you need something right away. 877-367-7304. It’ll be back up soon.

    Case Price: it’ll retail for $275 for the Grey and $295 for the green and natural. Lots more pictures and such going into a brand new website we’ll be launching in the next 2 weeks.

    Cases will be available starting around March 1st. We’ll keep everyone updated.

    Exterior is water resistant - natural one is what I would call water proof because of the final coating. Others have a textile that is very water resistant but they’re not sprayed with any wp chemicals, this could be easily done but we opted not to.

    Fits most mandos with a Tone Gard on. Stickers work better on natural version. Very light weight and so nice to carry on trips. Not meant to be a flight Case or compete in strength against a Calton or Hoffee. It’s meant to be an alternative to disposable zipped up foam cases.

    We’ll show a lot more very soon.
    All the best everyone - Adrian
    Hi Adrian,

    I did read that both A's & F's will fit. Does that include the short neck F4?

    The reason I ask, I have a couple fiberglass, or shell cases that are designed for both A & F, but my F4 doesn't fit in them. It 'kinda' fits in one (scary!), but definitely not in the other.

    Thanks for any info you can provide.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •