Thread: Lessons learned from Carter's and Gruhn's

Default Lessons learned from Carter's and Gruhn's

I had the chance to visit both Carter's vintage and Gruhn's Guitars in Nashville yesterday. Both are pretty amazing places. My main goal was to play some stuff in the $2000ish range to see if it's worth it to me to spend that much as opposed to buying a nice Kentucky model. Here is what I learned in no particular order:

1. I don't care for the sound of the Collings mandolins that I can afford. This surprised me. I can hear and feel why they are exceptional, but the sound didn't suit my ear.
    2. The name on the headstock isn't always helpful. I played a Snelson F model. Never heard of Snelson. I asked the salesperson whay he could tell me. "Nothing except that it's a hand built mandolin. " I liked the sound of it better than many nite recognizable brands.
    3. After an hour in the high end room at Carter's, I will never believe anyone who says that their $1,000 mandolin sounds just as good as mandolins that cost five times as much - or I'll be at least vey skeptical. Having said that, I will be grateful that I can afford a mandolin that i an not ashamed to play next to those that cost five times as much. There is a noticeable but not huge difference.
    4. The range of sound profiles from all of those mandolins is amazing, and is never have appreciated that without having played them on the same afternoon.
    5. The Loar signed instruments were awe inspiring.
    6. I walked in prepared to be most impressed with a Pava or Silverangel. The Pava did end up being one of my two favorites in the $2500 or less category. (The one Silverangel at the two stores was impressive But like the Collings not the instrument for me. ) But the other was a Weber Absaroka that cost about 700 less. If I flipped a coin, I'd have been thrilled with either. And so the Weber will soon be hanging in my wall.

Highly recommend spending some time at these two stores for anyone who has a chance to do so.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to trabb For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Lessons learned from Carter's and Gruhn's

My experience in Nashville was ear-opening as well. Great to be able to play instruments from so many builders and at so many price ranges side by side. If you let your ears and fingers do the testing, and leave your eyes out of it (as much as is possible) you'd be surprised where you might end up.

Never heard of a Snelson either. https://cartervintage.com/collection...nelson-f5-2010
    No trouble believing it's a "hand built mandolin".

I could get past the name on the headstock if it sounds as good as you say.
    If I'm honest with myself though, that angling tailpiece, the off kilter tuners, the headstock shape and the semi-deflated scroll would probably keep me up at night.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    Never heard of a Snelson either. https://cartervintage.com/collection...nelson-f5-2010
    No trouble believing it's a "hand built mandolin".

I could get past the name on the headstock if it sounds as good as you say.
    I have to admit though, that the angling tailpiece, the off kilter tuners, the headstock shape and the melted scroll might keep me awake at night.
    Well - it was the lowest price of what I played. Better than many of the others. Nothing I couldn't live without, and yes - I know looks have little to do with tone, but i do sometimes look down while playing

6. The following members say thank you to trabb for this post:

The good news for those that venture into these holy grail retailers is how much mandolin you can get in what I call the reality price range. Yes, there will always be better, but the very good thrives, especially if you buy used. I feel the same about the Collings, but got educated when I got to play one in a casual jam. What sounds bright in your living room is heard in a jam, so different mandolins for different uses. Always on the lookout for new rationalizations to buy more.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

This Redline A-5 was my favorite of the sub $3000 instruments
    https://cartervintage.com/collection...d-line-a-5-new

They didn't have this Old Wave at the time though. I'd like to try that one out
    https://cartervintage.com/collection...cts/old-wave-a

I took a similar trip a couple of years ago, and came away very satisfied with my Silverangel econo. In my hands it stood up very well to mandolins in the 2000-5000 dollar range. There were definitely better mandolins (a Giacomel at Gruhn’s was my fav at $12,500, and there was an X braced Gil at Carter’s for 25,000 that was spectacular), but for where my playing was at the time, the SA was just fine for me. I went particularly interested in a couple of F-2 and F-4s at Gruhn’s that looked gorgeous, but I didn’t bond with the flat board and mean, skinny little frets; at least one needed a refret. With my experience now I probably would have come home with one of the F2s and had the FB Radiused and larger frets put in, but didn’t want to spend the cash at the time. Still playing that Silverangel, but I did come home with a National RM-1 from Artisan Guitars. It was an awesome Saturday, for sure!
    Chuck

A good choice on the Absaroka. I'm sure you'll love it even more over time. Mine's a 98, awesome.

And even though its very pretty, don't let it hang on the wall.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

I visited both 2 summers ago. Great. But Gruhn’s was spectacular. I met Mr. Gruhn, played 2 Loars, a Gil and 2 Gibson Derrington Master Models. The one Derrington phenomenal. I read Gruhn’s articles in Frets magazines many years ago so his store was a thrill.

I would love to visit Carter's and Gruhn's (just like I would love to visit TMS from another thread.) There are NO mandolins available to try in my area, but I must also state that something would have to be pretty special to top my Pava, Weber, and Collings.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    What sounds bright in your living room is heard in a jam
    I've recently gravitated to a pick that I once dismissed for being way too bright. A little bite is nice when you need it. 'Horses for courses'

I love going to Nashville for many reasons, but the biggest reason is to visit both of those stores...just an awesome experience. I also got to spend some time discussing guitars with George Gruhn when I went a few years ago to purchase a new guitar. Getting a chance to try so many different instruments at one time is a good way to narrow down your choices.

Blog Entries

I know when I get down that way again I'll be hitting both stores-I think I'll leave the bank card with the wife though-Yeh right now that's funny. I've bought new and well I prefer used instruments any day of the week-already played in and I'm a firm believer the old ones once about 15 min. sits in you really get the idea of what that toy is about! Granted I like the old Gibson mandolins but wouldn't mind trying out a bunch like Monte GA's, some more Gils, and Duffs-to me Duff makes one of the best looking mandolins and although never played one but the videos I've seen are impressive. Both places have loads from every maker and to me that is just great because my area there is nothing on the higher end of the spectrum-Down in Pittsburgh there is Acoustic Music Works but that is over 3 hours away from me and they mostly have Collings mandolins and well "been there done that-not that impressive to me" My thoughts anyway.

Got to play a Duff “Scout” model (only top bound, and, I think the only one recently he’s made like that. It was the real deal, and I wish I’d had the $6000, which is an excellent price for his more recent offerings, but the timing just wasn’t right
    Chuck

I spent a year traveling to Nashville on business. Gruhn's and Carter's were regular activities for me. I got to play a wide variety of instruments over that period. Totally agree with the comments about closing your eyes. A master luthier will appeal to both ears and eyes, but in the end, what the ears hear is what most impresses me.

Side note: When you do go stores like this and play a lot of instruments, always buy something from them even if it's just a set of strings or a couple picks (or one if its a wegen or a bluechip).
    ========================
    2012 Gibson F5 Master Model
    2019 Northfield F5 Artist 5 Bar
    2019 Northfield Arched Octave Maple
    2020 Northfield F5 4.0

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Todd Bowman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tbown View Post
    Side note: When you do go stores like this and play a lot of instruments, always buy something from them even if it's just a set of strings or a couple picks (or one if its a wegen or a bluechip).
    Agreed, it's just good manners -- and it's good to be known as the guy who always buys something, rather than the guy who never buys anything.

21. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Yup .... a visit to Carter's and Gruhn's is definitely an education. I stop by any time I have the chance to do so. I got to play an Oliver Apitius mandolin this last time through. A very nice hand built instrument. Congratulations on your Absaroka purchase. Enjoy R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Quote Originally Posted by tbown View Post
    Not a bad thing to do, for sure. However, most sensible store owners know that many of us are not just tire kickers and that eventually we will buy something more substantial. It just takes more time. For most of us these are luxury items and may not drop a wad of cash until the third or fourth visit.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1