Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mandolin Mute?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandolin Mute?

Me, musing out loud ...

A banjo mute slides under the strings to clamp onto the bridge from the side. This probably wouldn't work well for a conventional adjustable bridge although I am not sure on that point. But it does suggest that one could have a fixed bridge made which could accomodate a banjo-style mute more securely. Might be worth a try. Hmmm. I have a mandolin with a fixed Murphy-style bridge. Maybe I can work on the idea a bit.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

2. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DHopkins View Post
    Play a banjo for a week. He'll beg you to go back to the mandolin.
    😂😂😂😂

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Busman View Post
    I occasionally do that if I just want to play quietly for a short period of time, but I find it limits my hand/wrist motion too much for picking well.
    I let my wrist/arm mute the strings just in front of the bridge. Just past the wrist joint about where you would take your blood pressure. It allows hand/wrist pretty fair freedom vs muting with any part of the hand. Puts pick out over the fb edge but it's muted anyway

5. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

An elastic classical guitar capo, which tend to be inexpensive, wrapped around the bridge and touching the strings lowers the volume substantially. Maybe not enough, but I’ve done this on my banjo to good effect on a few occasions.
    Chuck

7. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Also, I can’t pull volume out of a Dawg or Golden Gate style pick, so classical capo + my Golden Gate may actually work well for me...not so well for those who love/use those picks...
    Chuck

9. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Sherry, I have invented, and patented a device that attaches to the mando. bridge. I advertise it as a 'bridge cover'. Use it to rest for your hand, etc....it does mute the tone a little. I had it in the classified sec. for a while...I think the fact that when you add mass to the bridge, it softens the tone a little, is a turn off for some. This may be what your looking for. If you're interested I'll be glad to send you one. Thanks, Willy HuTcH

Sherry, I have invented, and patented a device that attaches to the mando. bridge. I advertise it as a 'bridge cover'. Use it to rest for your hand, etc....it does mute the tone a little. I had it in the classified sec. for a while...I think the fact that when you add mass to the bridge, it softens the tone a little, is a turn off for some. This may be what your looking for. If you're interested I'll be glad to send you one. Thanks, Willy HuTcH

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

That's an enticing offer, Willy. I'm looking for total silence in this thread. The responses don't offer much hope.

Blog Entries

Oh. Total Silence, eh? Have you tried wire cutters?
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    Me, musing out loud ...

A banjo mute slides under the strings to clamp onto the bridge from the side. This probably wouldn't work well for a conventional adjustable bridge although I am not sure on that point. But it does suggest that one could have a fixed bridge made which could accomodate a banjo-style mute more securely. Might be worth a try. Hmmm. I have a mandolin with a fixed Murphy-style bridge. Maybe I can work on the idea a bit.
    under the string?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Banjo Mute.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	164342

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    Oh. Total Silence, eh? Have you tried wire cutters?
    Henry, that sounds kind of mean! Was it meant to be? Maybe you think I'm asking the impossible. I honestly don't know what I don't know.

And I know you're not being mean. I just get frustrated by my ignorance.
    Last edited by Sherry Cadenhead; Jan-26-2018 at 12:33am.

Blog Entries

Opened mouth before engaging brain. Sorry. S'posed to humorous but shoulda put in a smiley face or something.

Blog Entries

Sherry, I'd say first try to lower your volume with picking technique, progressively making the sound of your playing as quiet and consistent between strings as possible, so even someone 10 feet away in the same room has trouble hearing it. It's a useful exercise, one which I recommend to my students and jamming friends (especially banjo, but also guitar, dobro, fiddle, bass and mandolin) so they can learn the important lesson of how to dynamically control their volume in bands and jams.

That takes time to perfect though and if you don't have time at this point in your playing, a mute may be the answer.

I've found a common and very simple rubber hose, coursed between the strings between the tailpiece and the bridge, and pressed up against the bridge, to be an easy and effective mute... For an extreme example, here's a picture of a hose that I have recently had on my bass as I'm learning to play it (my bass is a hot-rodded Alcoa aluminum bass, some of the parts are hard to recognize so I've labeled them):

Name:	bass mute.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	172.3 KB 
ID:	164353

When it has been slid up against the bridge this makes a very effective mute. Of course you'd want a more flexible and much smaller size hose on a mandolin. If you have trouble with overtones, this will also mute those even when the hose is not against the bridge.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry Cadenhead View Post
    The responses don't offer much hope.
    Always hard to tell what someone is looking for in a few words but here is muting done with the attachment you already have. It took me a few days to do this on purpose after accidentally doing it one night practicing. But.. if you are just learning it might be a hindrance to the process.

fwiw: wrist mute.mp3

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

That's an enticing offer, Willy. I'm looking for total silence in this thread. The responses don't offer much hope.
    How will you hear what you're doing in total silence?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilliam View Post
    How will you hear what you're doing in total silence?
    Brian, this is a good question. I'm thinking playing silently, but on actual strings, would be good hand/finger/muscle training - and better than air mando. This type of practice would supplement, not replace, my regular practice and playing. My husband feels I'm obsessed with playing my mandolin, which I am. He'll roll his eyes (at best) when I first bring my mandolin into the living room, but if I can noodle around silently, or at least quietly, maybe he'll get used to the idea.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Play during commercial breaks. Play quietly in a near by room. Just keep playing and you will grow musically and eventually sound better. Then he'll love your "obsession". It's better to be able to hear your practice though. Don't play your instrument in total silence.

Just my two cents. 🤓

Blog Entries

My husband feels I'm obsessed with playing my mandolin, ... He'll roll his eyes (at best) when I first bring my mandolin into the living room.
    I've been around that with raising one of my sons, he's grown and married now and happily we can joke about it. While he did play piano for a while while young, he simply has never had making music in his heart. Funny, he coined the term "future firewood" for our instruments and we still joke about it. He does enjoy listening to specific genre of music, and his wife is musical so he must enjoy her music. But it was actually a serious concern when he was young.

This was tough, because my wife and I basically met and have grown a big part of our relationship around the music we do. In our case we tried not to expose our son to our music since he made it clear he didn't like it. It was a matter of keeping the home relatively happy, providing a loving environment for both of our sons, in particular this son who didn't like our music.

Both my wife and I found places or ways to play that didn't impact our son or impact his schedule. For me, I started taking an instrument to work and would play there during breaks. My wife and I would attend more local jams away from the house. If my wife and I had gigs, we would practice when he was doing homework in his room or when he was away, and we wouldn't bother him about them unless he really wanted to attend, which eventually did happen every once in a while.

Basically, it was clear we weren't going to change this in our son, nor were we going to stop our music, so we found ways to work around this problem when we were around him.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

I assume that you live in a very small apartment? Is it only one room? Can't you possibly go into a bedroom or closet?

What it sounds like you want is one of these?

I am not sure, but I imagine you could remove two of the strings and have play just the four. Maybe not ideal but you would not have any sound. I wish they made one with 8 strings and a mandolin fretboard and with the width of a mandolin neck but I don't think so. For $30, not so bad.

More expensive but this might work too is this Risa uke. You could plug earphones and get some Aquila strings that are tuned to GDAE. I think the concert is close to mandolin scale.

Name:	8545344_800.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	164407
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks, Don, for sharing your experience. And, no, Jim, I don't live in a one room apartment. I practice 5 days or nights a week in my home office for an hour or so. The other 2 days I have a lesson or jam session. I just thought it would be nice to work on some right and left hand stuff while sitting in the family room with my husband some evenings. Lots of suggestions here, which I appreciate and will try.

Would gauze, a sock, or something else stuffed between the strings and the fingerboard do it? If it was up at the end of the fingerboard it shouldn't get in your way.

Blog Entries

In a situation where you just don’t want to disturb someone in the next room you can roll a flannel cloth to the right size and stick it under the strings by the bridge, then give it a turn to fix it in place. Good for hotel or late night downstairs practicing, but wouldn’t stop it being annoying in the same room.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin