Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin Mute?

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

Default Mandolin Mute?

Is there such a thing? If not, are there suggestions for practicing quietly?

Default Re: Mandolin Mute?

If you tip your pick at a severe angle you can play extremely quiet. It also works for practicing tremolo. A rounded pick is even more effective. They do make felt picks, that would be quiet, but I don't think I would like the drag on the strings, but it could work.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry Cadenhead View Post
    Is there such a thing? If not, are there suggestions for practicing quietly?
    Earplugs

4. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

An unplugged, electric mandolin

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrianWilliam For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilliam View Post
    An unplugged, electric mandolin
    Yup. Plug earphones into the amp, instead of using the amp's speakers. Fabulous practice instrument. A side-effect advantage of this is that with the earphones, you can hear yourself play really well, better than through the speaker(s) IMO.

(This assumes a solid-body instrument, of course, because strings attached to a solid slab of wood aren't going to be doing much ringing on their own. But if you have a hollow-body electric instrument, it's going to be louder. Recommend solid-body for quiet practice.)

Anecdotal evidence of the quietness of solidbody instruments:

I once tried living in an apartment building (the usual paper-thin walls) for a while. Of the three neighbors within earshot, one of them (the nearest one) was super quiet and I really appreciated that he never made any racket. He'd heard I was into some tech stuff so he asked me to come over and see about fixing his computer (an early model, before computers were a popular thing). I was surprised to see that his living room contained several electric guitars, a bunch of wires & cables running to a little home-type mixing board and recorder, etc. Turns out he was a rock guitarist in a band!

But literally *all* of his home practice was through headphones, and it also turned out that he often stayed up all night long to practice rock guitar for hours on end non-stop. I never heard one peep coming from his apartment! The best neighbor ever.

On a Violin / Viola,the instrument is muted by adding mass to the bridge. If you could figure out a way of doing the same thing to a mandolin bridge,it would possibly have the same effect.

I have one of these for my banjo (see pic.) It's simply a piece of bent brass,padded so as not to damage the bridge.You could try adding mass to the bridge 'somehow',& if it works,buy a banjo mute & simply re-bend it (open it up) to fit the mandolin bridge,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eagle Ultimate Mute.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	164240
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Gretch guitars, among probably others, used to have a clever muting system where there was a fixture just in front of the bridge which allowed you to flip up a small flet or foam-rubber pad which then touched the strings, effectively muting them in the same way as palm-muting works by placing the fleshy part of your hand along the strings just on the saddle. I have tried palm-muting on my octave at times but find the mandolin a bit small to mute successfully, but if you have smaller hands then it might be worth a try, Sherry. Or a piece of foam pushed under the strings just immediately in front of the bridge saddle so that it touches the strings.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

My dad used to clamp an old fashioned cloths pin on the bridge of his fiddle, it would lower the volume a great deal, don't know how effective it would be on mandolin, I guess it would lower volume some don't know how much.

When the neighbor (trailer park) complains about me playing at 3 to 4AM I just use the index fingernail and brush the strings on the downstroke. That's fairly quiet.

Do know the oval hole has less bark than the F hole. Maybe stuff a rag in one of the F holes? /ducks
    • Seagull S8 • Weber Y2K6 • David Hudson Bloodwood Didgeridoo (C#) •

Thanks for these suggestions. I was just thinking how great it would be to be able to practice while my husband and I are watching television in the evening. He wouldn't tolerate the noise, but maybe the motion. Of course, doing so would take time away from surfing the Cafe. :o(

I especially enjoyed the sharing of personal experiences.

Suppose there's a way to construct an object with 4 strings of some material, maybe even mandolin strings, that can be picked without producing noise? Is that a crazy idea?

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

If you're practicing while watching TV with your husband in the same room I think you're out of luck. Anything with strings will make some pick noise which he'd probably find distracting, plus, as you mention, the motion would be a problem.
    If you're just trying to be courteous while he's in another room, just stuff something soft under the strings just ahead of the bridge. I just tried this with a rolled up piece of paper towel and it worked just fine.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    Earplugs
    For wife !

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    For wife !
    Uh, that would be me. Not sure how that would work - unless it's so I can't hear the yelling.

17. The following members say thank you to Sherry Cadenhead for this post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Crazy idea.... we do this at our sometimes.

Tune off the tv entertainment and play music as entertainment instead. My kids love it!... (my wife, she's indifferent). They get to make up songs and be creative (even play their toy istruments) while I get to (sort of) practice. It's a win-win. Plus, it's a real hoot sometimes.

19. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry Cadenhead View Post
    Suppose there's a way to construct an object with 4 strings of some material, maybe even mandolin strings, that can be picked without producing noise? Is that a crazy idea?
    Yes, and they are called ukuleles.

Actually you can buy nylon strings that will tune the same as mandolin:
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

I saw a nice looking banjo mute in another thread, might work.

23. The following members say thank you to Seter for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post
    Crazy idea.... we do this at our sometimes.

Tune off the tv entertainment and play music as entertainment instead. My kids love it!... (my wife, she's indifferent). They get to make up songs and be creative (even play their toy istruments) while I get to (sort of) practice. It's a win-win. Plus, it's a real hoot sometimes.
    Not so crazy. In fact, it sounds like great fun. Unfortunately, it wouldn't work at my house. Thankfully, my husband is addicted to the news. That gives me an hour+ of practice each day.

I was just thinking with no sound I could work on chord changes and tremolo.

Diaper under the strings, felt pick, different room, buy him more booze so he passes out then, play as loudly as you feel!
    The roll of something under the strings is really the most practical thing, it allows you to still “feel” the pick action. You will still have Pick noise will be quieter than full strings.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

26. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    My dad used to clamp an old fashioned cloths pin on the bridge of his fiddle, it would lower the volume a great deal, don't know how effective it would be on mandolin, I guess it would lower volume some don't know how much.
    I too use clothespins on my fiddles, which slightly reduces volume. Anything that adds mass to a fiddle bridge will help, because they are so lightweight and transmit a lot of vibration. Damping the ability to translate vibration to the sound board by adding mass will always help. If I want more muting ability, I go to wire mutes, tourte mutes, large rubber mutes, or even a brass mute as shown below. They all have different levels of muting ability.

For mandolin, however, it may not work so well. But still, adding mass to the bridge of any kind will damp the vibration. So it's worth experimenting with.

A step beyond that would be to physically mute the string with felt, much like pianos do when you mash the right pedal. One could create an adjustable mandolin mute with a felt pad that goes just in front of the bridge saddle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mutes.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	443.9 KB 
ID:	164251  
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

28. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

A good emergency violin/viola mute is to fold a dollar bill in quarters, then weave it through the strings right behind the bridge. Felt might mute even more, and this would be simple on a mandolin.

In Tobin's photo, the small round mute, the Tourte, is used in orchestral playing to change the timbre, and it does knock the volume down considerably. The other two are practice mutes, what you want for a hotel room, or to avoid waking the baby or riling up the neighbors.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Louise NM For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

If you play around with it you can play quite freely while muting strings slightly with the right hand. I guess it's not for rhythm but I only use it for picking melody. The E strings are buggers but the rest are simple. Its effective for late night and I even use it in my normal picking for effect.

32. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Sherry. Another approach you could try is to get your husband a good set of headphones so that he can hear his television and it may keep him from hearing your playing. I don't know if it would work but it may. Good luck.

34. The following members say thank you to Kirk Pey for this post:

Play a banjo for a week. He'll beg you to go back to the mandolin.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DHopkins For This Useful Post:

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    If you play around with it you can play quite freely while muting strings slightly with the right hand. I guess it's not for rhythm but I only use it for picking melody. The E strings are buggers but the rest are simple. Its effective for late night and I even use it in my normal picking for effect.
    I occasionally do that if I just want to play quietly for a short period of time, but I find it limits my hand/wrist motion too much for picking well.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

38. The following members say thank you to Paul Busman for this post: