Thread: double bass chat/hangout?

Default double bass chat/hangout?

I'm exploring the idea of getting an inexpensive double bass to use for bluegrass. Any pickers out there know of a useful site specific to double basses that I could ask questions about what to look for in a bass? I found one site in the UK, but something more specific to Canada or the US would be more helpful. Many thanks.

Blog Entries

Default Re: double bass chat/hangout?

Talk Bass forum - Double bass sub forum. Some very good FAQs addressing your question
    I'm thinking of a double bass myself so just finished reading all that. Enjoy!

3. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Yep, exactly as Mark said - TB (DB side) is it. FAQs provide all the necessary info WRT getting into DB. It also has some of the best pedagogy (jazz) info online, imo.

Blog Entries

Interesting, that's what I just did a week ago. TalkBass is an excellent forum, as recommended.

So I'm learning bass now too. My band's former bass player had this for sale and I just had to buy it:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11102752_806027629488766_4510903661897747635_n.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	164228  
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

I played banjo for over thirty years until I developed focal dystonia in my right hand. So I started to learn mandolin, which I'm still working on. But, when I had to stop playing banjo, the bass player in my group was leaving, so I decided to take up bass. It's been great. Bass players are the unsung heroes. Because of learning bass, I've been able to play with some of the best local talent, as well as with a national band that comes through from time to time. Talkbass is a good place to start to gather info. There are some vendors, such as Gollihur Music and String Emporium that sell basses, but also have interesting articles and write-ups about all things bass. Good luck in your endeavors. I think you'll have fun.

I don't know what you consider an inexpensive double bass. The usual caveat is you get what you pay for. Talk Bass will put you on track.

A few if my friends have bought Upton basses and they are quite nice. These are new basses made in their Connecticut factory. The Standard Laminated model costs $2000 which is inexpensive for a quality new US-made bass. The ones I have played have been excellent.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by banjoboy View Post
    ... Bass players are the unsung heroes ...
    Absolutely!

I've long believed that:
    a) casual listeners rarely "hear" the bass because it's not in their face and, well, they're casual (unlike us, ya know, musically obsessed types?), and,
    b) bass is what forms the strongest emotional connection with most listeners because, besides rarely listening to the words and however "casual" they might strive to be, a vibrating chest cavity cannot be ignored at a subconscious level.

Did I mention that, for six months now, I've been playing bass guitar in our local Italian music quartet, ehrr, quintet: two mandolins, flute, guitar, and... bass!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Thanks for these ideas. When I say "inexpensive," I think I mean $2500 or less as a NEW price, so the Upton Standard would indeed fit. The next trick is to find one that's already been "driven off the lot" and maybe even suffered some road rash, so can be had for far less (he said, hopefully) Certainly carved solid wood symphony basses are way beyond my means or my needs, and many of the shiny BSO (Bass Shaped Objects) available online for under $1000 give me the willies. I'm not sure how I'd haul this creature up and down stairs to go gigging -- I have MUCH to learn yet on the far more easily transported fiddle and mandolin. Still.... Your ideas help fuel the dream!

I got a Thompson Hybrid bass from String Emporium in Arizona. Talk with Steve (the owner). My hybrid (solid top/carved back and sides) was $2000 several years ago. It came with a really nice cover and a Realist pick-up. Thompson makes all plywood basses as well that are very nice and sound good. Check out String Emporium website. The Thompson basses are very similar to Shen basses. They are made in China. Beware of other Chinese basses, especially ones that are under $1000.00. Englehardt makes a nice bass. They bought out Kay bass, and are very similar to Kay. Keep checking Craigslist and the like. Englehardt basses come up for sale all the time. As far as transporting, you'd be surprised what you can haul a bass in. I used to drive a Mini Cooper. My bass fit just fine..Ok, not my wife and bass at the same time.

If you are at all interested in Upton bass they do sell used ones too but I have a feeling those don't stay in the store very long. They have number to call.

I had a nice Kay upright decades ago and played it a fair amount. At one point tho I noticed that the top started sinking. That may be the downside from a used older Kay.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1