Thread: What do you use..

Default What do you use..

... to fill the gap under the frets on an unbound fretboard?

I've used black super glue, and glue and ebony dust. Just wondering if theres any else I havent thought of...

Default Re: What do you use..

Quote Originally Posted by fscotte View Post
    ... to fill the gap under the frets on an unbound fretboard?

I've used black super glue, and glue and ebony dust. Just wondering if theres any else I havent thought of...
    Those will work. Or you could cut a strip of ebony and put it on the edge of the fretboard similar to binding, nip the tangs, and have a nice edge that way. Since I use CNC I cut the slots about 1mm away from the edge of the fretboard, then nip the tangs.

Teacher, repair person

If you're a builder making your own boards, reduce the depth of your fret slots.

I repair only, I do not build. When I refret, extra depth is usually not a problem-- when the board is re-profiled, a few thousandths are lost. When I recut the slots, I set the Dremel to just slightly deeper than the height of the tang. Then I drive the frets with liquid hide glue. Rarely is there any significant left to fill.

You could burn in with a black shellac or lacquer stick-- that was pretty common in the old days.

Ah I like the idea of something like a lacquer stick.