Thread: Identifying an Alvarez Mandolin

Default Identifying an Alvarez Mandolin

Hey there Mando Pickers. I have a friend who has an Alvarez mandolin. His wife bought it new and he is interested in selling it but didn't know what it was used. It has basically never been played in the 17 years he has had it.
    It doesn't have the paper identifier inside the instrument but just a serial number on the back side of the head. Does anyone know how to identify this mandolin and how it would be priced in today's market?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chads Alvarez.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	267.6 KB 
ID:	208262
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alvarez Head Stock.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	352.7 KB 
ID:	208263

Default Re: Identifying an Alvarez Mandolin

The tuners were made in Korea so I would assume that was the country of origin. You can contact St. Louis Music on the Alvarez contact page and ask if the serial number could get you the year. They won't know anything about resale prices. That website is here. Every recently sold Alvarez mandolin on eBay is here. Keep in mind a crossed out number means it sold for less. None of these are really similar to yours.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Thanks for your reply Mike. I went ahead and submitted the written request to Alvarez giving them the number of the headstock. I will wait to see what they say. I had seen the Ebay mandolins as well and, as you said, they were not like this one. I will wait to see what Alvarez says. Thanks again.

Update: St. Louis Music got back with me and asked for more information. Tom over there told me that unfortunately they didn't keep records of mandolin serial numbers. I sent him a series of pictures and he told me the following:

- It is a F2 Alvarez Mandolin built around early to mid 2000's.
    - It has a solid spruce top and solid maple back and sides and a rosewood fretboard.
    - MSRP was about $1K brand new.

I did a little more research now that I knew the model and I found an old Musicians Friend listing online for $479.99 with case. I also found it on the website Play Better Bluegrass for $599. https://www.playbetterbluegrass.com/..._4552_prd0.htm

So, that mystery solved.

Thanks again Mike.

That's cool that they could tell you about when it was made and the model number. That should get you down the road a bit.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber