Thread: can you name this tune?

Default can you name this tune?

Sadly, my fiddle tune ignorance has stumped me yet again. There's a tune i've heard before but don't know it's name. Go on over to the Mandolin World Headquarters website, click on the 2014 Passernig 2 Point mandolin video, and drag over to the very end. It's the last number that Richie Dotson plays.

A really nifty looking mandolin...i just wish it sounded like a Stanley. Thanks in advance for schooling me....dan

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Default Re: can you name this tune?

Not sure what tune you're talking about since he plays a bunch... sorry.

Here is a link. Maybe others can help.

https://youtu.be/DW2xu8T1Ms4

Awesome looking mandolin for sure! I dig it's tone and look!

It's the very last tune (at 2:47). Sorry if that little detail got buried in the post.

Sounds like Money's All Gone.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dan in va View Post
    A really nifty looking mandolin...i just wish it sounded like a Stanley. Thanks in advance for schooling me....dan
    Based on your comment, I thought perhaps you'd be interested in this thread:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...y-vs-Passernig

I have owned an A5 from both Chris (#46) and Stefan (#54), either of which could be a lifetime instrument. And though the Stanley had been through the collections of far better pickers than I ever expect to be, like Don Julin and Don Grieser, I moved it in favor of the Passernig which simply fit my hands and ears better. In the old days, I would have and could have adapted.

As to the Passernig at Vintage Mandolin Headquarters, I'm glad that someone finally mentioned it. I'm not drawn to two-points generally, and I suspect that Stefan's modern iterations appeal to even fewer, but that instrument sounds awfully lively in Richie's hands. I seem to recall Marty Jacobson heaping praise on that mandolin in particular. I can well understand why.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Thanks very much for naming the tune. i haven't stumbled on a lot of good examples played on the 'net, but have managed to piece together something that suits me from those i did find. Somehow Richie's version seems to catch my ear the most.

As for the Passernig, it's been up for sale before and caught my eye then. The overall style, neck width and shape are appealing, but this Stanley #62 has opened up so much in the last 5 years that i'm hooked on the midrange, good highs and the right amount of bass (like a good D18). Could be the 4 pointer has more overtones and a bigger sound than comes thru in the video. i wouldn't doubt it could be a great mandolin. i'm thinking to have the Stanley's neck reshaped to a similar profile.

i've followed the Stanley #46 over the years and had opportunity to buy it from Don Julin, but mine was already on order. There seem to be some tonal similarities between 46 and 62, as he said the D strings were dominent as were mine. However, they both came into balance the next few years, and 46 sounded great by the time Don Grieser got it...check out his version of "Farewell to Long Hollow" video on YouTube.

All that said, this Passernig really has a lot going on and is oh so tempting, but i wouldn't know what to do with a second f hole mandolin.

All the replies are most appreciated. Thanks again....dan
    Last edited by dan in va; Jan-20-2018 at 11:32am.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post
    Not sure what tune you're talking about since he plays a bunch... sorry.

Here is a link. Maybe others can help.

https://youtu.be/DW2xu8T1Ms4

Awesome looking mandolin for sure! I dig it's tone and look!
    The very last one is Road to Spencer, A Ricky Skaggs favourite,
    I play that tune too , but at less than half Rickys speed.

I don't know the tune, but, unless my eyes deceive me, I count 4 points on that mandolin. Very beautiful.

Yes, Road to Spencer is exactly what was on my mind and it's been too long since listening to that Skaggs CD. Looking forward to wearing it out. Thanks very much.....dan