Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solo Mandocello Literature?

Default Solo Mandocello Literature?

I am looking for music written for the mandocello: not cello transcriptions. Other than some liuto cantabile works and exercises, I have not been able to locate any. I understand some reasons for the dearth, so I don't need an explanation why it's hard to find. As much as I appreciate background information and history, I just want some music! Any leads or suggestions? Any composers interested in creating some?
    Pickless in Portland,
    Doc

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Default Re: Solo Mandocello Literature?

Appreciate the response, but no that does not help. These are all either cello transcription or exercise/studies. No truly "mandocello music" as such. I am looking for music that would be acceptable to a very stringent CMSA restriction: plucked not bowed. Plenty of music written for mandolin, but I am left out as a mandocello player.

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

To the best of my knowledge, there is none. In terms of mandocello history, it's really been more of an ensemble instrument used mostly in mandolin orchestras around the turn of the century. As a solo instrument, it's really recent, and was pioneered by Mike Marshall. I'm not sure if he's transcribed any of his pieces like Borealis, which is beautiful, but you can always email him and ask. For some reason, I thought he said that he had a few written out... but...

Quote Originally Posted by Charlieshafer View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, there is none. In terms of mandocello history, it's really been more of an ensemble instrument used mostly in mandolin orchestras around the turn of the century. As a solo instrument, it's really recent, and was pioneered by Mike Marshall. I'm not sure if he's transcribed any of his pieces like Borealis, which is beautiful, but you can always email him and ask. For some reason, I thought he said that he had a few written out... but...
    As I thought, Charlie, thanks. I have the Marshall-Lichtenberg Bach 2 parts, and Mike even played my Gibson K2 at Wintergrass last year. I will pursue that lead, and thanks again!
    jim

I know that Mike Marshall has transcribed his anthem for the mandocello, "Gator Strut." There is a ton of technique and music in that tune, along with room to improvise!
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Thanks Marcus--I will look into that.

Dr. Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Doc James View Post
    I am looking for music written for the mandocello: not cello transcriptions. Other than some liuto cantabile works and exercises, I have not been able to locate any. I understand some reasons for the dearth, so I don't need an explanation why it's hard to find. As much as I appreciate background information and history, I just want some music! Any leads or suggestions? Any composers interested in creating some?
    Pickless in Portland,
    Doc
    Hello all: This is my first foray into the Mandolin Café. I am a composer that plays the strings. Picked up an Eastman mandocello about a year ago. (I was even writing for it before I actually picked up the instrument. Used the middle 4 courses of an old 12-string.) Anyway, I've been arranging and writing for it since, after becoming disillusioned with the lack of repertoire for the solo voice. Although I can read in all clefs, I use a tablature system written "in time"--much like baroque lute music. I would love to share some of it with Doc or anyone else who would be interested. This is stuff written FOR MANDOCELLO...the most underrated instrument in this world.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Johnson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johnson View Post
    Hello all: This is my first foray into the Mandolin Café. I am a composer that plays the strings. Picked up an Eastman mandocello about a year ago. (I was even writing for it before I actually picked up the instrument. Used the middle 4 courses of an old 12-string.) Anyway, I've been arranging and writing for it since, after becoming disillusioned with the lack of repertoire for the solo voice. Although I can read in all clefs, I use a tablature system written "in time"--much like baroque lute music. I would love to share some of it with Doc or anyone else who would be interested. This is stuff written FOR MANDOCELLO...the most underrated instrument in this world.
    I'm interested! Please share!
    Thanks!
    Al

11. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Hit me now!! I am most certainly interested--this is exctly the kind of response I was hoping for. There is (almost) no such literature, and I am working with some people to resurrect an out of print book of MC etudes. I would love to see your material. Are you a member of CMSA? Let's talk/email: jfimhoff@msn.com send me some samples. I will not do anything with them without your express permission. CMSA has strict rules on fair use of copyrights.
    THANKS!!
    Jim

Dr Johnson, I believe you will find a rapt audience here for whatever you can share of your works.... I certainly would be more than interested...
    John D

As a raw beginner with the glorious Mandocello (I recently acquired a Paul Hathway) I share the pain of finding suitable material, albeit at my stage simplicity is the main criterion. Although I don’t have a problem with using (simple) cello pieces and instructional material, it would be nice to have some written for the Mandocello, and indeed to have a good tutorial book on the instrument: there must be a growing demand for that.

Just for the record, I did find one book specifically written for the mandocello. It was written by Theodor Ritter (in the 1920’s I think), called “Schule fur Mandoloncello”. Trekel in Germany still publish it, so I ordered it largely out of curiousity. I don’t speak much German but reckoned translating it would not be too onerous. However it turns out to be slim 14 page volume, mostly just a few exercises and (rather bizarrely) a transcription with guitar accompaniment of an aria from Mozart’s “Don Juan” (sic). There is really nothing you’d want to play and no technique instruction. I can’t recommend it. Ah well.

There are I believe some contemporary solo pieces for Mandocello, particularly from Japanese composers, but they tend to be very advanced. And of course plenty of music for mandolin “Classical Quartets” (e.g. by Calace) which include mandocello parts, but require others to play with!

As Charlie says, this is not surprising since the Mandocello was developed as an ensemble instrument. But the Mandolin instrument family has proven time and again that it can evolve and adapt, so maybe the Age of the Mandocello is looming!
    "To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable". Beethoven

Eastman MD404
    Angara e D'Isanto 1895 Bowlback
    Eastman MD505 CC
    Paul Hathway Mandocello
    Bucketful of picks...still looking for the Magic one 🦄

15. The following members say thank you to fumblefour for this post:

I've been playing Irish fiddle tunes on the Mandocello and though it requires more left hand movement, they work ok.

17. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Fumblefour, everything you say is pretty much the scene, BUT-- I am having some luck finding things for a presentation at CMSA Santa Rosa. Some older things--Goichberg, Bickford--are mostly "universal clef" (treble, G clef) to be played 8ve lower. But I am also encouraged by and encouraging people who are looking for more music for our big bass clef mandocellos. I will report back soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc James View Post
    Other than some liuto cantabile works and exercises,
    Are you having any luck adapting liuto etudes or pieces to mandocello? I imagine as long as they don't go too high on the E string you would be OK.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Are you having any luck adapting liuto etudes or pieces to mandocello? I imagine as long as they don't go too high on the E string you would be OK.
    At this point I am just collecting things, and having more luck than I expected thanks to you and a couple of MC friends in Germany. When I have a loosely organized packet for presentation I will do some bass clef transcriptions and see what works. The Roichberg stuff starts out first 4 - 5 low notes in bass then immediately to "treble" ( not really treble)--obviously intended to sound at the lower octave. What little Bickford I have seen is universal clef. And the liuto cantabile stuff looks like piano music--double staff, both clefs, but most notes are in the upper staff. I have to keep saying I am a novice player, probably wouldn't be able to play half of this music, hoping for more experienced colleagues to help with that at CMSA. Just happy to finally get a MC thread going at CMSA, I hope for more in the future.

I like this piece and it doesn't sound too difficult tho it does sound like it might need some of the upper notes but perhaps could be played in positions.

I met Todd a bunch of years ago at a Carlo Aonzo workshop and I believe he is in California so might be at CMSA.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Very nice, does sound like a lot on the upper strings. Looked for sheet music, lots of Calace but not this title. Also looking for Barcarolle (a youtube of Beer-Demander playing) might work, but sounds like a lot of duo-style, simultaneous tremelo and arpeggio. Way past my skill level.

All published Calace pieces can be found on the FMI site.

That particular piece is here: Piccola Serenata.

Here is the Barcarolle.

Other Pieces for Liuto:
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I did see some of those on that and another site; but I also see notes that are way above the cello range. The liuto method on the other hand has exercises for the "quinta corda" and that would be equivalent to the low C on mandocello. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th strings would also fit, just not the high "e' string. Most of these are scale or simple pattern exercises, but certainly applicable and useful. Thanks!

I'm sure this is just me, but for Mandocello, I try to find more modern pieces, as it really is a modern instrument. It's certainly evolved from much older instruments, but when playing period pieces, it's sort of out of sync in my mind, as those earlier instruments are still available in modern form. That doesn't help the lack of repertoire, though.

You are correct on all points, pretty much, as long as you consider the early 1900's "modern." But unfortunately you are also correct that it doesn't help much. I am hoping to spur some interest at CMSA and see if people might write some MC music--I have found 2 or 3, but mostly older method books and of course the Bach cello suites. Instruments were somewhat interchangeable in Bach's time; he wrote for specific instruments and even specific players, but at time an instrument with a similar range would be substituted. And the standard instruments we have today were not quite evolved then. But there were no mandocellos!

You know, there's a program in England called something like "Adopt A Composer." I know a number of contemporary classical composers would probably jump at the chance to try something unique. I'm not sure Joe Brent of 9 Horses visits the cafe frequently, but he's composed a number of really interesting pieces for that trio, though for mandolin. He's not above trying something unique. I'm thinking it'll take a bit of a grassroots movement to get something going, maybe try contacting faculty at the edgier conservatories to see if you can initiate a competition of some sort for the composers at the schools. Try David Wallace at Berklee, Joe teaches at..um..I forget where in NYC. There are a number of conservatories going this way, like DePauw where maybe they'd have some interested participants. What the heck, go for it, maybe you'll spark a classical mandocello revolution.

This is both interesting and helpful, I will pursue these leads. I will also add the idea of "future" music for the instrument to my presentation. Hope you can attend CMSA--thanks!
    Jim

I must make a correction to my original post: I am gathering and soliciting music for the mandocello, but at this point the actual event, workshops and all has not been firmly scheduled--it is still in a plan/proposal stage. But I would still appreciate any information on contemporary music for the mandocello.