Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solo Mandocello Literature?

Default Re: Solo Mandocello Literature?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc James View Post
    Hit me now!! I am most certainly interested--this is exctly the kind of response I was hoping for. There is (almost) no such literature, and I am working with some people to resurrect an out of print book of MC etudes. I would love to see your material. Are you a member of CMSA? Let's talk/email: jfimhoff@msn.com send me some samples. I will not do anything with them without your express permission. CMSA has strict rules on fair use of copyrights.
    THANKS!!
    Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc James View Post
    Fumblefour, everything you say is pretty much the scene, BUT-- I am having some luck finding things for a presentation at CMSA Santa Rosa. Some older things--Goichberg, Bickford--are mostly "universal clef" (treble, G clef) to be played 8ve lower. But I am also encouraged by and encouraging people who are looking for more music for our big bass clef mandocellos. I will report back soon.
    CORRECTION: I should have said I am proposing a workshop; the schedule for CMSA is not yet set and no workshops have been officially approved. But I am still eager to gather any mandocello works that might be out there!

Default Re: Solo Mandocello Literature?

Just to bring this up to date, my search for solo mandocello literature has proven surprisingly successful. At this point I am simply gathering these out of personal interest, hoping to provide a respectable body of music for fellow MC players. It is a work in progress, but I hope to have this material collected and available soon. I am not yet in a position to offer copies of other people's music, ranging from simple etudes to advanced, complex compositions, but in a few weeks I should have at least the first batch. I will also check with the composers to see just how they want their music handled, although I have been encouraged by their enthusiasm. Also, still happy to hear from anyone with leads, suggestions, names, or actual music. But there is no need for any more "there is none" replies--that will be changing quite soon. Stay tuned.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jim Imhoff For This Useful Post:

Exclamation Re: Solo Mandocello Literature!

UPDATE: I have been offline for a while but not totally inactive. I now have music (and the likely procurement of more music) from several collectors and composers for SOLO mandocello. {If you are one of the people who already sent me some samples, thank you very much, I will be in touch with you regarding the CMSA session in Santa Rosa, which has now been confirmed. }
    To other interested readers, if you have access to any music specifically for solo mandocello, including a copy of the Goichberg or Bickford (mandocello, not mandolin) method books, I would love to hear from you. If you are a member of CMSA, I hope you will consider the Santa Rosa Convention and join us there. After that, I hope to post either some actual sheet music, or the contact information for the sources who wish to make themselves available. I have to be careful about both copyright regulations and the wishes of the individual composers, so I will not post until clearing things with those individuals.
    Stay tuned (always good advice for string players!)
    Jim

5. The following members say thank you to Jim Imhoff for this post: