Thread: New LP style solid bodied tenor guitar from Eastwood

Default New LP style solid bodied tenor guitar from Eastwood

No commercial interest in this project - this is posted for member information only:

http://eastwoodcustoms.com/projects/...to-Updating%29

Default Re: New LP style solid bodied tenor guitar from Eastwood

I can see that being a winner.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't understand why they eliminated two of the most useful features of modern solid body instruments - (1) bolt-on neck and (2) adjustable bridge. This one appears to have neither - the specs say it has a "set neck" (oh joy, so you might have to do a neck reset after a decade or two, such inexpensive fun - not), and it appears to have a non-adjustable bridge so you wouldn't be able to simply/easily move the bridge saddle back for lengthwise compensation in case you want to experiment with different string gauges and still have the darn thing play in tune. Why would they shoot themselves in the foot by designing something like that? I wouldn't have one even if it was given to me for free, this makes my cheap Squier 5- /6-string faux-'tenor' look like some sort of dream instrument in comparison, as far as practicality and ease of adjustment. Maybe I'm missing something? I don't usually post negative stuff but this one just has me scratching my head.

Other than the shape of the body, are there any differences between this guitar and the Eastwood Astrojet tenor? The Astrojet is $50 less expensive.
    Blueridge BR-60T Tenor Guitar
    Eastwood Warren Ellis 2P Tenor Guitar

I saw this new tenor as well and noticed something else. In looking at the picture of the guitar it shows a fret marker at the tenth fret, but if you look at the drawing it has a fret marker at the ninth fret.

I wonder what the final product will have? They have done it both ways on previous tenors.
    Scott

Tenor Guitars, 1959 Martin 5-15T, 2007 Fletcher Tenor tuned cgda, Blueridge BR-70T
    Mandolins, Jacobson Nautilus #15, 2013 Eastman MD305, 2002 Weber Aspen
    Banjo, 1925 Oriole "by Gibson" Tenor Banjo

I think the picture in the Eastman site is of a vintage Gibson they plan to copy, not of an instrument they've made yet. The drawing is what they intend to make. It is a little different. The Gibson looks great.

Those none adjustable bridges work well on most LP Juniors I've tried. Some players wouldn't have anything different. Some would...

Nigel

7. The following members say thank you to nkforster for this post:

As Nigel says ^^

The Gibson was setneck and I see Eastman staying true (in Eastman fashion) to the original.

There are wrap-around bridge upgrades ($10-$20 on Amazon) that give you intonation adjustment for each string plus they are moveable vertically. I've used them on a couple guitars and they work well.

- ---==< V >==--- -

9. The following members say thank you to Verne Andru for this post:

The Astrojet has an optional Bigsby tremolo.
    Last edited by stevep21; Jan-18-2018 at 11:10am. Reason: Clarification

Harley Marty

I made the mistake of buying an Eastwood tenor (Classic Tenor) I'm getting good use from the case to carry other guitars to the sessions around town. I think they are too expensive considering they are cheap Chinese built with poor quality control. Well that has been my experience anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Marty View Post
    I made the mistake of buying an Eastwood tenor (Classic Tenor) I'm getting good use from the case to carry other guitars to the sessions around town. I think they are too expensive considering they are cheap Chinese built with poor quality control. Well that has been my experience anyway
    I have a Korean made Eastwood tenor guitar and the build quality is very high. It has great tone also. I always get compliments on how good it sounds. There have been problems, however, with the Chinese built Eastwood tenor guitars. I would want to inspect a Chinese built version first before paying my money.

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    ... There are wrap-around bridge upgrades ($10-$20 on Amazon) that give you intonation adjustment for each string plus they are moveable vertically. I've used them on a couple guitars and they work well.
    Good to know, thanks!

I thought members might like to know that Eastwood Guitars are now asking for customer recommendations on its custom guitar page for which pick up types to use for this new LP style tenor guitar - P-90s or humbuckers. Cheers, Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by stevep21 View Post
    I thought members might like to know that Eastwood Guitars are now asking for customer recommendations on its custom guitar page for which pick up types to use for this new LP style tenor guitar - P-90s or humbuckers. Cheers, Steve.
    Seymour Duncan P-Rails so players can switch between P90, single coil and/or humbuckers.

And they should put an intoneable wrap-around bridge on at the factory. If I can get one for $10 from Amazon they can get them much cheaper at the source. They charge a premium price for their guitars and should include premium parts IMHO, especially when the costs to them are minimal.

- ---==< V >==--- -

16. The following members say thank you to Verne Andru for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by stevep21 View Post
    P-90s would differentiate it from the Astrojet. That would be my recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Stewart View Post
    P-90s would differentiate it from the Astrojet. That would be my recommendation.
    P90s would be a bad idea IMO. Eastwood uses cheap electronics so odds are a serious player will want to upgrade the pickups sooner or later. A P90 route is only good for other P90s and mini-humbuckers; a humbucker route has adapters to anything you want.

I like P90s as a special flavor but if that's the only choice they would limit the use of the guitar for me and cause me to pass. It's not a nice enough guitar to throw money at.

- ---==< V >==--- -