Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm cringing...

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Default Re: I'm cringing...

This seems to be connected to streams of adrenaline. So next time you have stage fright, you want to bring a beater for the occasion.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

From Willkamm - "However, I've been told that some of the classic vehicles destroyed in movies are sometimes the real thing."
    They don't even need to be 'classic' cars - Aston Martin produced 10 (i believe) DBS V12 cars to be used in the James Bond film "Quantum of Solace" at a cost of approx. $266,350 US each - Quote :-"Six Aston Martins were destroyed during filming, and one of them was purchased by a fan."

That styling of Aston Martin is now the AM 'Vanquish 4' or the DB11 'Volante 3' - either of which i'd swap any of may mandolins for - even though i don't drive,i love car design !!.

Just imagine destroying even one of these ???. I wonder what Dave Harvey would say to somebody who asked him to build 10 Gibson 'Master Model' mandolins so that they could be destroyed in a film ?,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aston Martin Vanquish 4.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	164130
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Don't let her see THE TAMING OF THE SHREW, whatever you do...

Or COCO ...

Or this ...
    Have always found this one to be quite funny. Even moreso as this is a direct homage to John Belushi in the movie Animal House.

Usually doesn't bother me when an instrument is broken in a film or television show. (Hateful 8 being an exception). I try not to get caught up in it too much. Was also not aware of the Kyle Busch incident. Sigh. That's also uncalled for, IMO.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I cannot listen to a certain Oklahoma “new country” singer-songwriter who smashed a Takamine guitar in a music video. Self indulgent behavior from a rags to riches guy who claims to be humble. Nope, not buying it.
    Mike Snyder

5. The following members say thank you to Mike Snyder for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Don't let her see THE TAMING OF THE SHREW, whatever you do...

Or COCO ...

Or this ...
    That's inside the holodeck. That instrument is an illusion.
    OTOH, what do I know about reality?

the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

7. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

C'mon, it's a cartoon.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Snyder View Post
    I cannot listen to a certain Oklahoma “new country” singer-songwriter who smashed a Takamine guitar in a music video. Self indulgent behavior from a rags to riches guy who claims to be humble. Nope, not buying it.
    I agree, someone that willing smashes an instrument is not a musician in my opinion. He's a show-off, trying to attract a following that he apparently can't do playing his instrument.

10. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

===========

John Belushi smashed Stephen Bishop's guitar in the movie 'Animal House' . . . but I'm sure that was on a completely different level . . .

12. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    I agree, someone that willing smashes an instrument is not a musician in my opinion. He's a show-off, trying to attract a following that he apparently can't do playing his instrument.
    Tom T. Hall is going to be crushed to hear this.
    The Loar LM-220 VS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    Good thing children never reenact what they see on TV!
    My little girl when she was 2, well my fault but I was playing mandolin and wasn't payin attention and well she got herself in my Gibson
    Master Model case and pushed the lid over and snapped the ribbons, bent the hinges-CRINGE, I was a wee bit bummed but again my fault! When your pickin you best be watchful over the little ones-They is hell bent on destruction!

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasser78 View Post
    My little girl when she was 2, well my fault but I was playing mandolin and wasn't payin attention and well she got herself in my Gibson
    Master Model case and pushed the lid over and snapped the ribbons, bent the hinges-CRINGE, I was a wee bit bummed but again my fault! When your pickin you best be watchful over the little ones-They is hell bent on destruction!
    Better the case got damaged than the mandolin. Could have been a lot worse!
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

16. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    Tom T. Hall is going to be crushed to hear this.
    I didn't know Tom T Hall smashed a guitar in his concerts but I still stand by my statement. It's an attention getting act and has nothing to do with musical ability, I dare say any man on the street could destroy an instrument as well as any " name musician"

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    I didn't know Tom T Hall smashed a guitar in his concerts but I still stand by my statement. It's an attention getting act and has nothing to do with musical ability, I dare say any man on the street could destroy an instrument as well as any " name musician"
    He did it so often, it prompted a meeting with Ovation because they were having to send him a couple each week.
    The Loar LM-220 VS

Blog Entries

The on stage guitar abuse by rock stars has long prompted me to say, "Could have given that guitar to a young player desperate for an instrument." I don't remember all of the examples, though The Who and Jimi Hendrix come to mind. Instruments have feelings, too!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Dave Sheets

-Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave Sheets For This Useful Post:

===========

I realize that this is pretty atypical of the usual guitar smashing incidents - but I had a friend who went to see the band Kiss back in the 70's, and he swore that a stage hand brought out some sort of junker instrument before they smashed it on stage.

23. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    I realize that this is pretty atypical of the usual guitar smashing incidents - but I had a friend who went to see the band Kiss back in the 70's, and he swore that a stage hand brought out some sort of junker instrument before they smashed it on stage.
    An English friend of mine, who was around when the Who were on the rise claims that Pete Townshend had a special guitar that he smashed and glued together regularly. I have no idea whether that's true, but an up-and-coming band wouldn't be able to afford to destroy a new guitar every show. Ravi Shankar, who came from a poor country and held a spiritual approach to music, was often quoted as saying how disturbed he was by the Who and Hendrix destroying instruments at Monterey Pop. I sympathize with his viewpoint, but the thing about the 60's was that there was a lot of cultural repression to deal with. You had to be there to really get it.

Here's my instrument horror story. Many moons ago, my small daughter was taking fiddle lessons. I taught her to never put her violin down on the floor, a seat, or anywhere unsafe, but always put it in the case or on a table. One day, I was tuning for her when the phone rang. I went to the next room and answered it. After a few minutes talking, I returned to the couch, and promptly sat on her mini-sized fiddle, snapping the neck. It was me who left it there, so I told her to learn from my mistakes. Fortunately, it was a clean break, easily repaired by a luthier. And she's still fiddling nearly twenty years later, never having done something as careless with an instrument as her dad did.
    Last edited by Ranald; Dec-20-2018 at 5:08pm. Reason: the usual typos
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

25. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

If it's junk or reglued it is still stupid show off gimmick. Why would a craftsman destroy the tools of his craft symbolically or realistically. If he doesn't respect what he does what right does he have to expect me to. Accidents happen and we've all done careless or stupid things but to do this intentionally you have lost my respect.

27. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    Good thing children never reenact what they see on TV!
    We used to reenact El Kabong all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cagle View Post
    I would have been more upset if it had had a scroll on it
    good one stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    ... when the phone rang. I went to the next room and answered it. After a few minutes talking, I returned to the couch, and promptly sat on her mini-sized fiddle, snapping the neck.
    Phones have that habit of creating a pseudo-emergency situation that makes us forget all our safety procedures.

I dunno, that dance-off to the death scene in Puss in Boots was pretty darn funny.

Plus, it was in self defense.

Plus, it wasn't really real.

So, yeah -smashing imaginary instruments has a place in comedy.
    Despite the high cost of living, it still remains popular...

Quote Originally Posted by mugbucket View Post
    I dunno, that dance-off to the death scene in Puss in Boots was pretty darn funny.
    plus, it was in self defense.
    Plus, it wasn't really real.
    So, yeah -smashing imaginary instruments has a place in comedy.
    You can laugh, I won't.

In "Horsefeathers" (1932) there is a scene with Groucho serenading Thelma Todd while playing a 1920s Gibson L-5 (probably his own). At around 1:17 in this video he throws a different flattop, roundhole guitar into the water.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1