Thread: McClung Armrest

Default McClung Armrest

I just wanted to write a brief note about the McClung armrest, which I just received today. I only ordered 11 days ago from the USA and I was floored it showed up today. Normally, things get held up at the border a few days, and I wasn't expecting it til at least the end of next week.

Doug at Hill Country Stringworks was very easy to work with and helped me select a great armrest. I got one in maple with a red stain that contrasts nicely with the amber finish if my KM-272.

I am a big guy with large arms and shoulders and I knew I'd appreciate the extra bit of space the armrest would give me, and I did. I found no adjustment time necessary to get used to it being there on the instrument. In fact, it was quite the opposite. It was almost as if my arm felt like: Yeah, this was supposed to be here all along! This is so much more comfortable!

The workmanship is beautifully done and installing it was simple; as easy as installing a chinrest on a violin.

I was not expecting the improvement in volume but I should have. With my arm lifted off the soundboard, it is freer to vibrate.

I couldn't be happier with this purchase. Service, workmanship--everything was excellent. I plan to order a matching pickguard from Hill Country Stringworks for a little bling.

2. The following members say thank you to Cliff Seruntine for this post:

Default Re: McClung Armrest

I have had a McClung on all the mandolins I have owned over the years and they are great. I have an ebony one on my Yellowstone. I will be getting another mandolin sometime this spring and I will keep an eye on his website for another ebony one, when it becomes available.

I've always thought the 272 model would be an affordable way to dip my toe in the oval hole water. Are you happy with it?5

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hart View Post
    I've always thought the 272 model would be an affordable way to dip my toe in the oval hole water. Are you happy with it?5
    I am new to mandolins, but not to music. I've been playing for 40 years, mostly fiddle and Celtic harp. When I came to the mandolin, it was for Celtic music. I live in Nova Scotia where that is the predominant music. The 272 is perfect for it. It has a voice that is different from most mandolins I've heard. It is not woody or barky or anything like that. It is sweet and pure with, compared to mandolins in general, an amazing sustain. I think of it more like a mandolin lute. It has rightly been compared in voice to the instruments made at the beginning of the 20th century. I might compare it to the Vega cylinder except I find it more pure than that. It's voice has a bell-like quality. I think it might compare in voice better to a German bowlback, noted for their clear sustain.

Tonally, it is well balanced across the full range.

Setup is excellent. Comes with a good bridge, the fretboard is well made and the action is easy whether you set the action high or low. All the woods are very high quality. To make instruments authentic to the early 20th century when the great mandolins of N. America were made, Kentucky gets wood from the same region. I think they buy from the mill that provided Gibson their wood. Tuners are very good Gotohs. The only thing I would change on it is the tailpiece. For a two piece, it's not bad, and the lower part is actually cast steel, not the usual stamped brass. But I prefer one piece tailpieces and I switched it out for a clone of the Allen AR-2 tailpiece.

I had a budget of $3000 when I was mandolin shopping. I could have gotten almost anything less than a Weber. I didn't find anything that I thought played so well or had a voice as nice below the $1500 price range. (Please bear in mind, I am referring to Canadian dollars). The only Eastman I liked as much was the Eastman 805, and it was 3 times the price. I didn't like it more, I just liked it as much. Truth is, I haven't yet found another mandolin I like more, just some I've liked as much. The only other mandolin I liked as much was an expertly restored vintage Gibson F style mandolin. Again, I liked it as much, not more.

Now, my tastes may change with time given I am fairly new to the mandolin, but I doubt it. I know exactly the tone I am looking for: sweet, pure, bell-like and sustain. The Kentucky 272 has that in spades. It really is fairly unique in voice.

I don't think you could go wrong. It's definitely at least worth checking out. I think you'd have to go 3 times the price at least to get comparable from Eastman, and much more to get comparable from a North American or European maker.

Cliff,

Put a set of Mapes strings on it and I am sure it will sound even better.

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    Cliff,

Put a set of Mapes strings on it and I am sure it will sound even better.
    I've never heard of Mapes. Currently, I am using GHS Silk & Steel. Where would I find Mapes?

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Seruntine View Post
    I've never heard of Mapes. Currently, I am using GHS Silk & Steel. Where would I find Mapes?
    Here you go.

https://www.mapesstrings.com/

Thanks for the detailed response, Cliff.