Thread: Wolle picks for clasical playing, help pls?

Default Wolle picks for clasical playing, help pls?

I have just ordered a few Wolle mandolin picks. I wanted to try them on my bowlback.
    The seller says they need to be treated/polished before playing.
    Could anyone help me with that please? I am not sure how to do that.
    Any advice more than welcome.
    many thanks

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Default Re: Wolle picks for clasical playing, help pls?

Are they really made of wool? I'm not finding anything on Google about them.
    Why not ask the seller about this?

If they're used a lot with bowlbacks, perhaps someone in the Classical section of the forum might have more info.

Are they ordered from a company or individual? Link???

Addendum: Here is a thread I found that mentions Wolle: Go Here.
    I don't see a mention of treating/polishing. I suspect that it means just shaping and smoothing the pick to suit yourself.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

I've seen these picks but have not heard what sort of treatment they need before use. They seem popular with the German classical players and their type of mandolins.

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    Are they really made of wool? I'm not finding anything on Google about them.
    Why not ask the seller about this?

If they're used a lot with bowlbacks, perhaps someone in the Classical section of the forum might have more info.

Are they ordered from a company or individual? Link???

Addendum: Here is a thread I found that mentions Wolle: Go Here.
    I don't see a mention of treating/polishing. I suspect that it means just shaping and smoothing the pick to suit yourself.
    Thank you
    Wolle, not wool

you can see description here

Quote Originally Posted by beekeeper View Post
    Thank you
    Wolle, not wool

you can see description here
    I wonder if that means you have to somehow remove the little bits where the mold may have left a ridge or something.

search time.....

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...olle-plectrums

Martin has the answer:

"I have tried German rubber plectrums, but not actual Wolle ones. Doesn't really work for me, but that may be because I haven't got the hang of shaping the tip appropriately -- they come unfinished and the player is meant to add a bevel according to their preference."

Travis Finch : "The white plectrums are firmer than the blue ones. Don't be put off by the the fact that these are made from rubber, they are somewhat flexible but also surprisingly hard-wearing.

Martin is right, you do have to shape them yourself but I'm also imagining that a lot of players out there are used to at least "finishing" other plectrums, so this shouldn't be too much of a stretch. I usually use 200 grit to knock a basic shape and 600 to finish. Playing takes care of the rest of the finishing.

These are actually pretty good plectrums, a little chunky to hold but I tend to shape the upper portion of the plectrum as well, improves flex and makes them much easier to hold and use.

When coupled with flat-wounds, these do provide a pretty sweet tone. Granted, plectrums and strings will only do so much for your tone.

Verdict: I would highly recommend them."

also

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...e-Roland-et-al

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...75-Wolle-picks

https://schneidermusik.de/shop1/inde...39/language/en

"Note: this mandolin pick is unpolished (has sharp edges) and needs to be treated/polished before playing"

6. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

For future reference, if you buy the Wolle plectra from Trekel (www.trekel.de) they will do the shaping/polishing for you (for a price, but reasonable). It is not difficult, however -- use a file to round off the edges near the tip and then polish with extremely fine sandpaper/steel wool.
    Robert A. Margo

8. The following members say thank you to margora for this post:

Yep, they're very popular among german classical players. To be honest, these picks are more common in this scene thanF5s among bluegrassers.
    They are made from a quite soft injection moulded plastic and thus hve still sharp edges. Before using them, you have to sand the edges and bevel the tip.
    The big thing about these picks (and the reason everyone here in Germany uses them) is, that they produce less pick click than any other pick. They provide a very clean and mellow tone. If this is what you want, try them - no BC, no Wegen and no Primetone can come close. (I can't say anything about others of these "more expensive" picks like Dawg picks...)
    They are more durable than one would think considering the soft feel of the plastic, but they nedd to be replaced more often than Primetones or Wegens.

Hope this helps If not, feel free to ask.
    Mandolins: 1920s (?) Meinel & Herold Bowlback, 2006 Furch "Redwood MA-1" A5

Octaves: 2004 Fender FMO-66 Flat-Top, 2015 A. Karperien 5 String Electric

Banjos: 2007 Gold Tone IT-250F Irish Tenor, 1963 Vega Vox No. 1 Plectrum, 2016 Recording King RK-OT25 Clawhammer

10. The following members say thank you to Martin Ohrt for this post:

Thank you all very much.
    I don't specialize in mandolin but I have played bowlbacks since I was a child back in Greece, and now, as a member of an orchestra, i often double on mandolin, which I love.
    I admit i am so used to the bowlback sound that, even now I dont understand why most people prefer flatbacks.
    If I am not asking for too much: is there any chance someone could upload a close-up photo of how the tip of that pick should look like after reshaping/sanding so i know what I am aiming for?
    once again,thank you all very much

12. The following members say thank you to alk for this post:

I admit I am so used to the bowlback sound that, even now I don't understand why most people prefer flatbacks.
    As a rare american of Sicilian ( as in used to be Greek) ancestry, I am with you. One of my bowlbacks was made in Greece!

However, to answer you, it's an American thing. Gibson came up with an instrument that suited many musicians.

Not to mention greek or Irish bouzouki.

I don't know. Personally I like the brighter tone of the Italian-style (versus German) mandolins and I beliebe that Greek instruments would be closer to the Italian ones. That German tone derives from the style of instrument but additionally from the almost exclusive use of Thomastik strings and Wolle plectra. Nice mellow similar to classical guitar sound even from metal strings as Thomastiks.

I have played some Italian mandolins including Calaces, Vinaccias and Emberghers strung with Thomastiks and can attest that I really don't like that combination. The same goes for the Wolle plectra. To me the appeal of a bowlback is the sparkle of its emphasis on the mid-range and trebles.

That is not to say that I don't enjoy the playing of many of the fine German-style players but it is only my personal taste in my own choice for classical playing and bowlbacks.

BTW I don't believe that these Wolle picks are actually made of rubber, more that they are rubbery plastic. But go ahead and try them—you may very well like them.

And beekeeper: where are you located on this fine earth? Are you in Greece?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

15. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

I admit i am so used to the bowlback sound that, even now I dont understand why most people prefer flatbacks.
    If I am not asking for too much: is there any chance someone could upload a close-up photo of how the tip of that pick should look like after reshaping/sanding so i know what I am aiming for?
    once again,thank you all very much
    Hi Beekeeper
    Here are a couple photos of my Wolle picks. I am not sure if theses are from the ones I shaped or the ones I asked Trekel to shape when I bought them. Either way I hope it helps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	486 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	164102
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled1.png 
Views:	203 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	164103

Oh and yay! My first post!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bstanish For This Useful Post:

Thank you thank you thank you!
    I am based in London UK.I trained as a viola player and i now divide my time between a ballet orchestra and a small conductor-less chamber orchestra.
    I usually cover mandolin in Romeo+Juliet and recently Mahler's song of the Earth.I am also interested the early Greek mandolin recordings of people like Toundas and Peristeris.
    I play a 100 year old Neapolitan instrument but it doesn't like London weather very much and gets affected by humidity.
    I have asked Christos Spourdalakis in Athens to make me a new instrument with re enforced neck.He has a technique of inserting a thin and light layer of carbon fibre which is less invasive than a rod and works well. I find his mandolins have the characteristics of the "italian" sound but he tries to refine a few elements.i'll know more in the summer.