Thread: Simple pentatonic newbie question

Default Simple pentatonic newbie question

Just started to experiment with a simple pentatonic shape. When the tune changes from, say, G to C do you move the pentatonic shape to that new chord or are you supposed to get all the notes from the root position ?
    Blessings from the Smoky Mountains

2017 Northfield Big Mon Engelman top
    1998 Martin HD28VR
    2001 Taylor 514CE
    2018 Blueridge BR240A
    50's Conrad baritone uke - was mom's
    2 tenor ukes Leolani and Kala

Default Re: Simple pentatonic newbie question

As Don Steirnberg might say, ‘yes’.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill McCall For This Useful Post:

You will play the same scale, but for the C you play different places in the scale, again for the D. I would use the major scale and spend some time finding out what notes work with which cords. Once you do this it makes it much easier to play.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

It depends. If you're playing blues, you can keep playing the same notes throughout. It'll sound good. For other types of music, like jazz and bluegrass, you'd usually change scales to follow the chord changes.

I would like to hear from Café members what their preference is regarding this and why ... I typically use the FFcP for just about everything, and although I can get the melodies and some additional fills (and it doesn't sound bad at all), but it seems there is only so much that can be done with the FFCP, and feel as though I've reached a plateau that I can't seem to get off of ... so I've been concentrating more on the major scales following the corresponding chord progression.

@Pops1 ... When you say you "would use the major scale and spend some time finding out what notes work with which cords. Once you do this it makes it much easier to play. " ... Do you mean (for instance) finding the notes within the 'G' major to work with 'C' and 'D' chords? Or do you mean, finding the notes within each individual scale for the corresponding chord progression?

Thanks,
    2014 Gibson 'Harvey' F5G
    1917 Gibson F2
    2013 'The' Loar LM600VS
    2013 Morgan Monroe 4FJ
    Blue Chip Picks
    The Scallywag Social Club

Finding notes in the G major scale that work with the C and D chords. For instance the 4th note of the scale and the 6th will normally be added to the other notes the work with C, but when you go to D you want to add the 7th, and stay away from the 1st and 8th. There are notes that will work with all, but some will definitely work to sound, in line, with the C and D. The 4&6 double stop for C is nice and the 2&7 for D. Let's say you are playing in the (one) and running notes 5,6,8. You go to the 5 chord and that will change to 5,6,7. When playing a D (5) Chord you would avoid the 4th note of the scale and when playing a C (4) chord you would avoid the 7th note of the scale. So trying to shorten this finding what notes of the scale work with which cords, as I said above, is what I am talking about. There are more notes that work with the 1&4 chords that are the same than with the 5 chord for instance.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Niles Hokkanen, Mandolin Cafe regular and mando legend has a cool little book called the "Pentatonic Mandolin" that is awesome and answers many of your questions.
    Mitch Lawyer

Collings MF5V, Schwab #101 5 string
    1918 Gibson A, 1937 Gibson T-50 tenor guitar
    Jones OM, Hums bowlback

Blog Entries

Here the Don giving an example of one way to work it. This is a fun way to practice with pentatonic scales +blue notes. Mandolin Lesson - The Pentatonic Arpeggios

I also like working with the root major scale and anchoring on the note of the chord being played - always with tweaks

Thank you everyone....

1998 Martin HD28VR
    2001 Taylor 514CE
    2018 Blueridge BR240A

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

edandjudy3946 - Man, what a cool avatar, playing guitar at Ft Hood in 1966! I picked up my dad's guitar a year later but was still just a kid.

Since the pentatonic is an abbreviated scale, probably best to move from key to key pentatonically with the changes, but there's many ways to go as others have indicated.

Not sure what kind of music you like to play, but I'll interject that The Temptations' My Girl is of interest because the well-known riff is just a straight pentatonic scale! I played it recently for the folk in the newbies section in the key of G. That would move between the G pentatonic and the C pentatonic. While it doesn't help in your making choices on what to improvise with, I'll link to it in case you want to check it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ9Ph_xroIs
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Thank you...great tune...I am 71 after all.....lol. I play bluegrass and gospel

1998 Martin HD28VR
    2001 Taylor 514CE
    2018 Blueridge BR240A

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

There's only one note difference between a C scale and a G scale - that's the F#. The cool thing about that is that the F# is the tritone in C, or the F is the flat or dom 7 in G. The F is part of the C minor pentatonic, so go to town playing both scales over both chords.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KGreene View Post
    I would like to hear from Café members what their preference is regarding this and why ... I typically use the FFcP for just about everything, and although I can get the melodies and some additional fills (and it doesn't sound bad at all), but it seems there is only so much that can be done with the FFCP, and feel as though I've reached a plateau that I can't seem to get off of ... so I've been concentrating more on the major scales following the corresponding chord progression.
    FFcP Pentatonic woodshed:

Click image for PDF
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ted Eschliman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by edandjudy3946 View Post
    Just started to experiment with a simple pentatonic shape. When the tune changes from, say, G to C do you move the pentatonic shape to that new chord or are you supposed to get all the notes from the root position ?
    You can do both. I like to mix it up. However, most often I move root position.

The following is not my original thought.
    This was posted some years ago on a pentatonic discussion here on Mandolin Cafe.
    I copied it for my own reference. I wish that I knew who to attribute it to:

Why pentatonic? The notes that are removed are notes that are not common to all 3 scales of the I,IV,V progression. For example if playing in G the chords are G,C,and D. So in the D scale there is a C# whereas G and C have a natural C in their scale. Toss out the C. G and D have F# but C does not, so toss out the F# What remains is the G pentatonic scale. Since it contains only notes that are common to all 3 scales in the progression it contains no sour notes. Given some are sweeter than others but there are no stinkers. In addition the fretboard scale patterns for pentatonics are easy to learn, almost boring, and once you have them you are on your way to the races.

Many songs are simple pentatonic scales.
    You can play the entire song without shifting or moving the scale with the chord changes.
    Personally, when trying to figure out a song, I begin with a pentatonic scale

Just my two cents worth.

Joseph Baker

I tend to move the pentatonic scale to the new position. I second Ted's FFcP pentatonic workout. It has made a big difference in the use of my picky, in my playing speed, in seeing relationships on the fingerboard easier and it's fun. I haven't even started some of the recommendations for playing it in different orders. There is a lot there to mine.