Thread: Strings for Ovation Mandolin

Question Strings for Ovation Mandolin

I ran out of my stash of Adamas 8080 and lo and behold, i can't find them anymore. Egads! Must be out of production.

What can you recommend for me to string my Ovation mandolin with?

Rather than just going for any ball-end string out there, what have you people used and liked? I did use TIs once, found them a little underwhelming, but i suppose i could try again. I don't want anything too heavy that could pull that bridge off.

Thanks,

glauber

Default Re: Strings for Ovation Mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by glauber View Post
    I ran out of my stash of Adamas 8080 and lo and behold, i can't find them anymore. Egads! Must be out of production.

What can you recommend for me to string my Ovation mandolin with?

Rather than just going for any ball-end string out there, what have you people used and liked? I did use TIs once, found them a little underwhelming, but i suppose i could try again. I don't want anything too heavy that could pull that bridge off.

Thanks,

glauber
    I switched from the Adamas Strings to medium ball-end Thomastiks quite a few years ago and find them perfect for my style of playing. I have quite a few sets of the Adamas mando Ball-end strings that I am not using so if you don’t have success finding them on the Auction site, send me a PM. I would also check with the Ovation factory in Connecticut since they might still have them, or can recommend an Ovation dealer who might stock them.

Good suggestions, thank you. I checked their web site (not there) and emailed them, maybe they'll respond. I also found 3 of the Adamas light (8787) on Amazon, but it's not clear if they exist or were a counting error.

What weight of TIs do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by glauber View Post
    Good suggestions, thank you. I checked their web site (not there) and emailed them, maybe they'll respond. I also found 3 of the Adamas light (8787) on Amazon, but it's not clear if they exist or were a counting error.

What weight of TIs do you use?
    I use the medium TIs since they are the only ball end Strings they make. In a pinch, I have used their light loop end strings by adding the ball ends from an old set I had. I did find these strings for sale, and it looks like Reverb has quite a few older listings for them for another potential future source to check.

https://8thstreet.com/Product/Get/30...ze-wrap-medium

I picked up a set of ball end J73s one time by mistake. Can't remember their gauges offhand, but definitely lighter than EJ74s. Just a possible option for you if others don't work out. That said, they're probably a brasher string that the TIs.
    Chuck

D'Addario EJ-70 are PB ball-end strings very close to Adamas.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Or , measure the gauges, get guitar strings in that size.. bags of a dozen of each perhaps?,
    I've done that..

My Fender FM61 .. 8 string electric, uses ball end strings, in (4) thru body ferrules..

you could get bronze wound..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture