Thread: Lara's Theme

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

Default Lara's Theme

I found some really old posts for this piece and just PM'd a guy named Jacob who had offered to send someone the sheet music. His last post was in 2014, so I'm not hopeful.

Martin, John, and others, would love to hear you play this. And, if you have the music, please post it If you can. If not, I'll see if I can find it.

Default Re: Lara's Theme

Here you are, Sherry.

This is fun to play on mandolin or balalaika:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	238401172-Lara-s-Theme-From-Doctor-Zhivago-pdf copy.pdf 
Views:	1152 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	164016Click image for larger version. 

Name:	280845909-Lara-s-Theme copy.pdf 
Views:	720 
Size:	230.2 KB 
ID:	164017

As far as playing it, my big moment was when I got to be the mandolin soloist with the New Orleans Summer Pops in the late 70's for a performance of "Lara's Theme".

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

I made this recording a couple of years ago -- this is the arrangement we use with our group. Two mandolins and tenor guitar.

1890s Umberto Ceccherini mandolin
    1915 Luigi Embergher mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar

Martin

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

Thanks, David. Is that video with the NOSP available? Martin, haven't had a chance to listen to your version yet, but it's on my to-do list!

7. The following members say thank you to Sherry Cadenhead for this post:

One of the first shows I took my wife to when first started dating. Probably the main reason I love the Mandolin. Laura’s theme and Maggie May

This used to be in my standard repertoire from my early strolling Mandolinist days. I might have learned the main theme from Jethro. I think later in one of the Mandolin trios, we would play both parts.I would play it with the 6/8 or straight waltz feel. Great tremolo tune, easy to dress up with double stops like in David’s arrangement. Hard to resist schmalzing it up. Don’t know if Apollon recorded it, but it would have been likely he would have played it.
    Joe B

10. The following members say thank you to mandopops for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry Cadenhead View Post
    Thanks, David. Is that video with the NOSP available? Martin, haven't had a chance to listen to your version yet, but it's on my to-do list!
    I don't think I even have a program from that night, I wish I did.

Quote Originally Posted by mandopops View Post
    Don’t know if Apollon recorded it, but it would have been likely he would have played it.
    Joe B
    I don't think Apollon recorded it....it would have been great.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the music Dave. Its a good piece to have when your aunt introduces you to her Mahjong club as "the mandolin player".
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

13. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    Here you are, Sherry.

This is fun to play on mandolin or balalaika:
    Thanks, Dave. I'm a bit confused by the rhythm in the first leadsheet you have posted -- I haven't seen the tune notated in cut-time before and I'm not sure that it's helpful to the accompanist to write it like this. Our version is in 6/8 with the guitar playing a fairly fast strummed triplet rhythm for most of the tune.

Sherry: send me a PM with your email address if you're interested in the score we use.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Jonas View Post
    Thanks, Dave. I'm a bit confused by the rhythm in the first leadsheet you have posted -- I haven't seen the tune notated in cut-time before and I'm not sure that it's helpful to the accompanist to write it like this. Our version is in 6/8 with the guitar playing a fairly fast strummed triplet rhythm for most of the tune.
    Martin, it's just how the most common printed piano versions were originally printed - in 4/4 but lots of use of triplets. That follows the older piano right-hand pretty well. The left-hand version matched the older piano version - the right hand IS the new piano version and it was been re-worked into 6/8. "Somewhere My Love" was a common alternate title.

Frankly, the version I first played on gigs was written in 3/4 as a waltz!

Treating it as 6/8 would work well - as would rewriting it in 12/8.

As long as the feel is triple meter, it doesn't matter how it is notated, except some versions would be easier to read.

I honestly do not recall how they wrote it in the Jarre arrangement the pops orchestra used, as it was about 1977-8 or so.

16. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Jonas View Post
    I made this recording a couple of years ago -- this is the arrangement we use with our group. Two mandolins and tenor guitar.

1890s Umberto Ceccherini mandolin
    1915 Luigi Embergher mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar

Martin
    I enjoyed this, Martin, and am anxious to try your version and David's.

Dr Zhivago is the only movie I've seen as much as 5 times.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sherry Cadenhead For This Useful Post:

I always loved hearing Red Rector play Lara's Theme. Here he is with Jethro Burns on guitar:

Russ Jordan

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russ Jordan For This Useful Post:

Just thought you should know that Leonard Davis is the balalaika player on the soundtrack of Dr. Zhivago playing "Lara's Theme". I played in the Balalaika and Domra Society of New York under Leonard's direction. He was just elected to the Balalaika and Domra Association of America's Hall of Fame. He is over 90 and still playing!
    David Herman

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to domradave For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by domradave View Post
    Just thought you should know that Leonard Davis is the balalaika player on the soundtrack of Dr. Zhivago playing "Lara's Theme". I played in the Balalaika and Domra Society of New York under Leonard's direction. He was just elected to the Balalaika and Domra Association of America's Hall of Fame. He is over 90 and still playing!
    Was he part of the group they found at an Orthodox church?

This article claims that Edgar Stanistreet of Philadelphia was the uncredited balalaika player on the Dr Zhivago soundtrack.

http://dbut.net/edgar/pages/allfrets.htm

Obviously, more research is needed.

Mark
    Mark Lynch

25. The following members say thank you to MarkELynch for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MarkELynch View Post
    This article claims that Edgar Stanistreet of Philadelphia was the uncredited balalaika player on the Dr Zhivago soundtrack.

http://dbut.net/edgar/pages/allfrets.htm

Obviously, more research is needed.

Mark
    Leonard Davis had many stories about being with Maurice Jarre who wrote "Lara's Theme".
    One funny story which I can't remember was about Jarre's wife! We even did a concert where we paid tribute to the arranger of the balalaika music in the film, Al Rikke.
    David Herman

27. The following members say thank you to domradave for this post:

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

just thought I'd throw mine into the pot. The original score is composed in 4, probably more like a fox trot but most people play it as a waltz. I've attached both of my arrangements. The version in 4 has an M1 part and an arpeggio-style Guitar accompaniment. The version as a waltz, is really just a lead sheet for M1 with chord symbols. Both arrangements are in G major with the bridge in g minor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lara's Theme - waltz_G.pdf   Lara's_Theme_in_4_M1_G.pdf  

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandophile View Post
    just thought I'd throw mine into the pot. The original score is composed in 4, probably more like a fox trot but most people play it as a waltz. I've attached both of my arrangements. The version in 4 has an M1 part and an arpeggio-style Guitar accompaniment. The version as a waltz, is really just a lead sheet for M1 with chord symbols. Both arrangements are in G major with the bridge in g minor.
    Again, it's that 4/4 version with almost constant triplet 8th's that give it that "waltz" effect.
    Thanks.

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

yes, the triplets deceptively entice the performer to think it's 1-2-3. sure you can pull it off that way but you're not acknowledging the composer's intention. so many poorly performed versions out there...I strong urge musicians to listen to the authentic movie score so that you're not misled into thinking you've nailed it as a waltz.

So, you may ask, why did I upload two versions? 'Cuz I found that many musicians have a terrible time playing it in 4 due to exclusively relying on their ear. That's the sad state of affairs. When people opt to use TAB! (Grrrrrr) or simply refuse to learn musical notation, well, you end up with hack jobs! Sorry to be so blunt here.
    Last edited by Mandophile; Apr-10-2018 at 11:12am. Reason: it's always something...

32. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

yes, the triplets deceptively entice the performer to think it's 1-2-3. sure you can pull it off that way but you're not acknowledging the composer's intention. so many poorly performed versions out there...I strong urge musicians to listen to the authentic movie score so that you're not misled into thinking you've nailed it as a waltz.
    Sad to say, I first learned the tune in a wedding band and the arrangement was in 3/4 and played as a dreary waltz.

It was only after I saw the movie and heard the soundtrack that I learned how the tune really goes!

So, you may ask, why did I upload two versions? 'Cuz I found that many musicians have a terrible time playing it in 4 due to exclusively relying on their ear. That's the sad state of affairs. When people opt to use TAB! (Grrrrrr) or simply refuse to learn musical notation, well, you end up with hack jobs! Sorry to be so blunt here.
    I'm with you. With a vengeance.

As far as I am concerned, the only instruments that should be in TAB are the ones from the Renaissance and Baroque eras that were always written in TAB, like the lute, cittern, 4 course guitar, etc. - and the modern lap steel due to the various tunings involved.

But I still prefer to read staff notation on all of them (well, maybe not lute).

For a mandolinist, only using TAB is a crutch and a not very good one, as there is so much more rich material from the mandolin's long tradition that is only available in staff notation.

If it's Old-time or BG music, you learn by ear. If it's Italian folk music, or jazz, or Klezmer, etc., you learn by ear and sheet music. For classical music, you NEED to read music.

Besides, in my over 40 years of gigging, I have never been handed a sheet of TAB at a rehearsal, only score.

Stop being lazy, mandolin world, learn to read music!

34. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post: