Thread: McClung Armrests

Default McClung Armrests

Some of you might not be aware that Doug Edwards at Hill Country Stringworks has retired - here is the statement on his website:

http://hillcountrystringworks.com

"Effective the first of the year I'll be entering full time retirement! I've cut back over the past couple years but wish to pursue more time away from the shop. I'll still have some offerings show up on the website and mandolin cafe from time to time but will not be able to offer custom pieces. Between now and the first of the year I'll try to finish up on the many projects now in process. Many thanks to the support of my customers over the years. You're the best!"

I have been in communication with him for the last few weeks about an ebony McClung armrest, but I suspect he has not been able to make one. This is fine - so I contacted him about taking one he has already made to make things easier. I have not heard back.

So I guess my question is - are there any other ways to get a McClung armrest? I strongly suspect that the build of a McClung is going to be the best thing for me with its tapering.

Maybe I have missed the boat on this, and ultimately it is a good thing Doug is going into retirement to take time out and enjoy life :-)

Default Re: McClung Armrests

From my communications with Doug, he's traveling and enjoying retirement. It sounds like he's not taking any custom orders, but he's producing some of the most requested styles when he's home. It is well worth it to be patient. His website is usually up to date, so look for the "buy now" button in his site to see what's available. http://hillcountrystringworks.com/armrest5.html
    Keep an eye out on the cafe classifieds also. If you can't wait, check out arm rests by Spencer Oliver. Not the same shape as the McClung, but also quite comfortable and well made. https://www.flickr.com/photos/147007...7670698911524/

3. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

You could also post in the "Wanted" section in the cafe classifieds - folks may have a spare McClung they'd be willing to part with.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

I'll be talking to Doug tomorrow. Is there anything in particular you would like for me to ask him?

Many thanks folks - and no thanks Tom, I don't want to be hassling the man. I will wait for him to get around to my emails - no rush.

No problem, we emailed today and I told him I would call tomorrow about an order.

Yes I am retiring but looks like not immediately. I still had some unfinished business to take care of. More recently I’m finishing up year end business and requests from my bride. Currently I’m in Amarillo for my granddaughter’s baptism and heading home tomorrow.

My current inventory is very low but I’ll have more ebony and ebonized McClungs later this month if my part time associate is available. I also have requests from several months back as well as some repairs.
    I’ll continue to have some McClungs available as time permits but I have other issues to attend and do not have time to deal with a list of requests. Things will show up on the website and the Cafe classifieds.
    Thanks

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doug Edwards For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Good luck to you in retirement Doug!
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Thanks Doug - your beautiful work is worth waiting for!

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    If you can't wait, check out arm rests by Spencer Oliver. Not the same shape as the McClung, but also quite comfortable and well made. https://www.flickr.com/photos/147007...7670698911524/
    Thanks for that Al, its much appreciated!

I am not currently taking custom orders either, but I do try to make a batch of 4 to 6 armrests every couple of months to raise MAS money. I plan to make some before the end of January to put in the classifieds.

The Flickr album linked in my signature has a larger scope of what I've done since I've been making them.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

This is also an afternoon DIY project. A nice piece of wood, a viola chin rest clamp, some thin cork, a little glue and some tung oil is all you need.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Another armrest I have used, which I like as much as the McClung are sold by Steve Smith at Cumberland Acoustics.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

I have one McClung and like it very much, when I needed another last year Doug had already scaled back his workload so I bought a Cumberland and it's good too. I just wanted something to keep my arm off the mando body.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

16. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

Received mine in the mail this morning! Beautiful work, Doug! Thanks!
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

Hello all - Doug has asked me for me to confirm my mandolin measurement for the McClung he is making me. I have an Eastman MD305 which he has said is probably 1 7/8" or about 45mm. The Eastman website also lists it as 1 7/8"

https://www.eastmanguitars.com/md305

Is this the right measurement to give Doug?
    Eastman MD305 - set-up by Simon Mayor.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus B View Post
    Hello all - Doug has asked me for me to confirm my mandolin measurement for the McClung he is making me. I have an Eastman MD305 which he has said is probably 1 7/8" or about 45mm. The Eastman website also lists it as 1 7/8"

https://www.eastmanguitars.com/md305

Is this the right measurement to give Doug?
    It's a handmade instrument that may not conform to specs. Just grab a ruler or tape and measure the width of the rim above the tailpiece where the armrest will go. He just wants to make sure the clamp is the right size.

I have a McClung on both my F5S and KM-270 and love them. You'll be very happy.

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

20. The following members say thank you to Chris Daniels for this post:

Thanks Chris - I should have said that I did measure it and it was dead-on 45mm (which is actually more like just over 1 7/7"

I just wasn't sure if the measurement should be taken from the side of the body where the rest is going to go, or from some other point, for instance where the body starts rising.

As Chris said, best to measure as handmade instruments will vary slightly. When I got my McClung I measured my Eastman MD504 at just under 1.75” (44mm). You just want the measurement from the rim where the clamp will go.

Congrats on your armrest choice - the McClung armrest is fantastic. I couldn’t do without one now! Which wood have you selected for your Eastman?

23. The following members say thank you to Kalasinar for this post:

Thanks Kalasinar - it could not have been closer to 45mm so that is the measurement I sent.

I feel very lucky to have slipped in to get an armrest just at the point where Doug is retiring. I am getting a plain ebony McClung which will suit my modest little MD305 quite well I think.

A quick question as you are based in the UK - did you have yours shipped to the UK, and if so did you pay a customs charge? I am considering having this sent to family in the USA to then have it forwarded to me to avoid these costs.

Sad though happy for him. I got a McClung for my mandolin. Must have been one of his last. The design is brilliant. I'll miss his work. I had intended to order at least one more.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Seruntine View Post
    Sad though happy for him. I got a McClung for my mandolin. Must have been one of his last. The design is brilliant. I'll miss his work. I had intended to order at least one more.
    Doug is still making armrests but isn't taking custom orders. So you can still get one, you just have to choose from his available inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus B View Post
    Thanks Kalasinar - it could not have been closer to 45mm so that is the measurement I sent.

I feel very lucky to have slipped in to get an armrest just at the point where Doug is retiring. I am getting a plain ebony McClung which will suit my modest little MD305 quite well I think.

A quick question as you are based in the UK - did you have yours shipped to the UK, and if so did you pay a customs charge? I am considering having this sent to family in the USA to then have it forwarded to me to avoid these costs.
    Nice one! I got plain ebony too and it suits the Eastman very nicely. Though at the moment I’ve moved it to my (new to me) Weber which luckily fits! Got my ebony CA armrest on the Eastman now.

If I recall correctly, as it was about this time last year I bought my McClung armrest, I had it sent straight to me. I don’t begrudge the import duties and whatnot, but rather I dismay at the RM/parcelforce handling fees slapped on. I risked it with the McClung and luckily enough I didn’t get any charges sent my way. But whether that was just luck, I don’t know. Good luck!

28. The following members say thank you to Kalasinar for this post:

Thanks Kalasinar - I've been hit recently with some really excessive import charges recently - including £16 to get a Xmas present from my brother that was worth about £10! I think I will avoid the risk and have it sent it sent to my brother-in-law in the States who can forward it.

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it, not just from a practical point of view, but because they are such lovely items made beautifully made by Doug.

Well Doug's McClung armrest for my Eastman arrived today and she is a beauty. Not just that but I can tell already how much it is going to improve my play. My accuracy and speed has notably improved after a couple of hours of putting it on mandolin.

I got hit with £16 import charges (about $25) which could have been much worse.

Anyway, here she is!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5421.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	403.5 KB 
ID:	165283   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5424.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	429.8 KB 
ID:	165284  

31. The following members say thank you to Seamus B for this post:

Got mine under the wire yesterday. Fits the Bitterroot perfectly and is very comfy. Thanks for the great work, Doug and best of luck in Whatever Comes Next!