Thread: Thought on Ear Trumpet Myrtle + Rode M5 for live?

Default Thought on Ear Trumpet Myrtle + Rode M5 for live?

Hey circling back to this conversation again. I got a Myrtle for my 5 piece bg band. We will mainly be playing small bar/pub venues. I was going to get a pair of Rode M5s and either use both as solo mics or use 1 to mic the bass. Given it is impossible to gauge certain acoustic considerations or crowd noise, does this seem like a reasonable setup for a live environment? I know many would plug in for this but trying to avoid that out the gate. Would appreciate and feedback. (no pun intended)

Default Re: Thought on Ear Trumpet Myrtle + Rode M5 for live?

Having a separate microphone for the bass makes sense to me. I have not tried these mics so I can't speak to how suitable they are.

Using a SDC works if you don't move much. I'm a bit bouncy. Also, your placement will have to be very good to avoid feedback.

I found just walking closer and lifting the instrument, like Eddie Van Halen in the 80s, works perfectly. Plus with my blistering leads, the pyrotechnics, and all of our scantily-clad fans... it just adds to the show.

I liked the sound of the SDC but by the time you dial down the gain to mitigate feedback/noise issues you might as well SM57 it.

In short, there's a reason you seldom see these used live beyond maybe drum overheads, and that's because they can pad them so much.

The upright always needs its own amplification. Has such special requirements. I DI mine (heavily EQ'd) using a Fat Max. I hate the sound, but honestly when playing live I really don't notice.
    ---
    Cheap Craigslist Guitar | Mandolin Made of Wood | Upright Bass with Strings

4. The following members say thank you to Brian Harris for this post:

A Gorack used for feedback can greatly improve the volume without hassles. They were on special for $29 and free shipping a while back. Not sure what you would have to spend now tho. One can be used for 2 mic's, I bought two.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

6. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Harris View Post

I liked the sound of the SDC but by the time you dial down the gain to mitigate feedback/noise issues you might as well SM57 it.
    They are used all the time... all over the world. All kinds of applications. Acoustic instruments, percussion, piano... you name it.

PS: I would not go for a Rode M5 in this application. The pattern is somewhat erratic at higher frequencies and they are a bit 'toppy' sounding.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

8. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    They are used all the time... all over the world. All kinds of applications. Acoustic instruments, percussion, piano... you name it.

PS: I would not go for a Rode M5 in this application. The pattern is somewhat erratic at higher frequencies and they are a bit 'toppy' sounding.
    Would you recommend an SM57 for this application? If not, what kind of pencil condenser (affordable) would you recommend as a spot for stepping into a break? Appreciate all the feedback everybody.

Two that have been discussed here are EV PL37 and a Peavey PVM480. Both work well and sound good with affordable pricing.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

Hey y'all, just wanted to give a little update to this thread. My band, The Filthy Skillets, just played their first gig. It was in a bar with a stage. We had a big draw and the place was packed. Had the Myrtle set up with 1 EV PL37. Banjo player plugged in and bass had an SM57. We definitely had some trouble getting enough volume out of the system without experiencing feedback. There was a ton of crowd noise to fight with too. I think under the same conditions we would need to plug in. I definitely had to expend most of my energy just getting the mandolin in position to play and then clawing out whatever break I could, which was not ideal. Regardless it was a good time and we could not be happier with the turnout. All things considered it was a success, but definitely some lessons regarding what we need to do for sound. Thanks for everyone's input thus far.

13. The following members say thank you to Josh Levine for this post:

While I love Ear Trumpet mics (I have several Edwina's, a Myrtle, and a Nadine), I don't think they are best for events where there is a lot of noise, like bars. They are best used at events where the audience is really listening, like concerts. Like you experienced, hard to turn them up loud enough without getting feedback in noisy situations.

15. The following members say thank you to banjoboy for this post:

We use a couple large diaphragm mics for a dance so anyone can come and go in the band and we don't have to fool with a sound person. There are usually about 100 people at the dance, this is a called dance like squares, circles, and contras. Without a GoRack we had a hard time getting loud enough to cover the room. Just using the anti-feedback part of the GoRack made using these mics possible. I am using AKG mics, but same principal.

Blog Entries

In noisy, reflective, 'tight' venues you need to mic as close as possible, really be careful with monitors, and certainly using a good quality anti-feedback suppressor is great added insurance too. In such venues, the 'single mic' approach may not be viable. As mentioned above, they are best on larger stages in quiet venues. Close-mic SDC's are usually fine if you set it up right.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.