Thread: Practicing Without Your Mandolin

Default Practicing Without Your Mandolin

Does anybody have anything you do when away from your mandolin that help with your mandolin playing or general musicianship? Maybe hand strengthening or stretching? Working on timing of the two hands? Maybe just listening to intervals for ear training? Even just reading books about music theory or composition? Anything like that?

Like most of us I'm sure, I never get as much time to practice as I'd like. But I often find myself with some down time during the day - riding on a bus, zoning out in a meeting, etc. Just curious if there is anything helpful to do during these times, because I usually just spend them day dreaming about mandolins anyway. I don't expect a revolutionary way to improve my playing or anything and I don't intend to replace actual playing with any of these things, but every little bit of progress is something!

Thanks!

Default Re: Practicing Without Your Mandolin

Often I just him the tunes I am working on, sing in my head the variations in the melody and visualize playing it on the fretboard. BION that makes a difference when I finally have the mandolin in my hands.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

3. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Blog Entries

I kept blank copies of the mandolin fret board to use for labeling when I had free time at work.

ex: find and label the notes of a G triad and then highlight all the double stops and finger chords you could find

Zen practice,,thinking about mandolin when not playing shows your hunger and dedication..Ive been doing this forever,,I picture scale or chord diagrams in my head,review the fretboard in my mind,,actually practice in my mind,etc..also always stretching my left hand,thru out the entire day,like just placing your left hand down on a table and forcing a wide stretch between your pinkie and first finger while pressing down..I do things like that....

6. The following members say thank you to T.D.Nydn for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Listen to a few of your favorite mandolin songs or tunes and get them into your memory. Study the fretboard layout and where "it" all is. Get a mandolin centric book on how to and read until your brain is full. Then when you can pick up your instrument and play you will have some "new" ideas. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

"You'll never plow a field by turning it over in your mind." Irish proverb

There is wisdom to this proverb. That said, I'm with Jim. After all if you can't hum the music (or whistle it), you can't really play it. When I'm working on Baroque pieces, I'll strive to whistle my part to my walking pace. Try to recall the values of all the rests and really try to hear the accompaniment!

Just keep practicing!

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

9. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    I kept blank copies of the mandolin fret board to use for labeling when I had free time at work.

ex: find and label the notes of a G triad and then highlight all the double stops and finger chords you could find
    I think doing these kinds of exercises with just a mental image—no paper—is even more powerful.
    Object to this post? Find out how to ignore me here!

I keep one of those mandolin finger-exerciser things in my truck (I am on the road about 400 miles/week for my job,) and on long stretches of highway I use it to strengthen my left hand, with particular emphasis on strengthening and making more independent my pinkie. I at least feel like I am doing something useful.

There are some good ear training and voice CDs that you can use. Singing applies to mandolin playing, even if you don't sing. Also, there are some good resources just for ear training. I stream them through Apple music, but I think they are also available on Spotify. You can also buy them from the artist or itunes. I use Singing for the vocally challenged, which has a good section on identifying intervals, Ear training on the run, Music lessons to go. Those are a few examples. Early on in my training, I would just try to identify the beat of music I was listening to. Trying to identify whether the melody starts on the root, 3rd, or 5th is also helpful. Then which direction the music goes, for learning melody by ear. And of course actively listening to what musicians you love do and taking note to try to bring some of that to your playing is also a good use of non instrument time.

Very often,if i'm trying to learn a new tune / song,or even trying to get one that i've already learned 'right',i'll play the tune over ''in my head'' whilst trying to mentally visualise,'where' i can find the notes. I've found that it helps me a lot. When i pick up the mandolin,i'm half way there (almost !),
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I could offer tips for practicing the didgeridoo even though you do not have one on you. Sadly the mandolin seems different. Have a pocket didgeridoo, aka Didge Box, although am unaware if there is a portable pocket mandolin.
    • Seagull S8 • Weber Y2K6 • David Hudson Bloodwood Didgeridoo (C#) •

Been practicing in my head for years. When I started playing bands, I would go over chord progressions we were working on, practice remembering lyrics to songs I was learning or going to sing or any other new thing I was working on. When I started flatpicking and playing mandolin, I changed the way held my pick so for about 3 weeks I carried a pick in my pocket to work on my grip and hand position. I think this is a very important part in learning and playing your instruments.
    Kevin
    -Laura Ratcliff Model A #0035

Blog Entries

Crosspicking patterns for my right hand, using my left hand as the four courses and a pick in my right hand.
    This is just to try out sequences and check if I’ve forgotten any. The spacing is more appropriate to my mandoloncello than mandolin, however I’m used to moving between the two without issue so the patterns stick & transfer well enough.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Your instrument is your brain. (You can practice anywhere.) All the rest is just mechanics.

(When you see that 12 year old who can play you under the table, do you really think his fingers are stronger??)
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”