Thread: Strings

Default Strings

Getting ready to restring two of my mandos and have a couple of questions before buying the strings. Do heavier strings have a brighter or more mellow sound since they are larger, but have more tension? Also, do oval As do better as a general rule with lighter or heavier strings? Thanks

Default Re: Strings

a lot depends on what the strings are on.. same strings on 2 different mandolins sound different.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I only use light gauge strings on flat top oval mandolins, otherwise I use J74's or equivalent. Currently use Curt Mangan mediums on my Collings MTO.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Generally speaking, heavier strings tend to give a bassier sound, and thinner strings brighter. Materials make a difference, too. The JustStrings website has lots of info on tone for each maker.

5. The following members say thank you to dan in va for this post:

Check out Mapes Strings, you can create your own set with no extra charge. They have all the derivatives.

https://www.mapesstrings.com

It's true, lighter gauge strings sound brighter & more shiny where-as heavier gauge sound more dense, broad.

Billy

billypackardmandolin.com
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

7. The following members say thank you to Billy Packard for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Packard View Post
    Check out Mapes Strings, you can create your own set with no extra charge. They have all the derivatives.

https://www.mapesstrings.com

It's true, lighter gauge strings sound brighter & more shiny where-as heavier gauge sound more dense, broad.

Billy

billypackardmandolin.com
    I agree, Mapes are great !

9. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

I use different gauges.
    Lights, as said bright, thinner bass. Easy to fret, less stable tuning compared to mediums. They have their own charm, sounding more delicate.
    Med, more bass, more stable. More projection.

One thing i find, is beside each mando pairing a bit differently with strings, imho, addy topped instruments tend to need a bit more gauge to drive the top.

I prefer phosphor bronze for its ring and overtones. Others don't.

Flat wounds are worth a try too. I love them, but they are not as bright nor do they have as much sustain. They are a treat to play, especially up high.

Id suggest biting the bullet and ordering several sets, in different gauges, materials, one flat wound, as well as some single loop end 10s,11s, and14s (i break these occasionally shortly after restringing and it helps to avoid breaking up a new set for a single string. For $30-40 bucks ordering on line, you can have several sets in reserve.

An oval, i think youd like jt 74 , light, bright, not too much tension.

I tend to like heavier sets because i play hard and a lot. More oompf, but harder on the hands, harder to fret cleanly way up the neck, a bit better tuning stability, imho.

Fwiw, over a the past five years, i have made an effort to try many makers. Overall, i have not found any big correlation between price and quality, with the exception of tomastiks. So you can go cheaper(er) if need, imho.

Otoh, i use from time to time, tomastiks. They last about nine months for me, playing hours daily. They are dullish in sound, lower tension per given gauge, and supremely stable in tuning. Its hard to swallow the price, but i think they are a value because they play so beautifully. Kinda like the wow factor in trying a luxury youve not had before. They really DO last a really long time, even with hard use.

To me this is something you need to make your own choice on, and, its not that expensive to simply experiment. Ditto picks.
    Last edited by stevedenver; Jan-13-2018 at 12:29pm.

11. The following members say thank you to stevedenver for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Torpedotom View Post
    Getting ready to restring two of my mandos and have a couple of questions before buying the strings. Do heavier strings have a brighter or more mellow sound since they are larger, but have more tension? Also, do oval As do better as a general rule with lighter or heavier strings? Thanks
    My method was to try medium strings first in order to see what the instrument and string manufactures consider average.

Heavy strings may not fit the nut slots, and some light strings may be too loose in the grooves.

The thickness of the wood in your instrument determines the need for optimum string pressure. Too heavy or too light and you have some over-performance, or under-performance.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

one objective thing is more string tension as the gauge increases. phospher-bronze strings are typically brighter and my preference. essentially, it's all personally subjective and why it pays to try different string gauges and different brands 'til both your mando and you agree what works "best",
    Mandolins are truly *magic*!

Mediums sound rounder and fatter. Generally a sound to be preferred, sez me, so thats what I use generally. Lights are preferable for a more delicate instrument, especially a lightly-braced, thin-topped flattop, or if you want that more tinkly, chimey, harp-like sound.

Bonus note: you can string a mandola with medium mandolin strings, they are long enough and sound fine.

15. The following members say thank you to Bill Cameron for this post:

I will throw my .02 cents in for Mapes strings. I find the tone to be very even across all the strings and they feel great on the fingers. Like Billy Packard posted above, the custom sets are a great option and their customer service is wonderful. I feel you can't go wrong using these strings. I don't have any affiliation with them other than being a happy customer.

17. The following members say thank you to George R. Lane for this post:

unless we're talking electric, mandos are acoustic and so there will be a unique interaction between the strings, the bridge/saddle, the top, and the rest of the wood and components. which is why endorsements for specific string gauge and brand is far too subjective to make any meaningful objective sense. string design, build and material are very objective matters and one should understand what they bring to the mando equation.
    Mandolins are truly *magic*!

One of the things we all have done is to experiment with different makes and gauges of strings so we find the set that works best with that particular instrument. I have gone through 15 different makes before settling on the Mapes strings, Now what works for me may very well not work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    One of the things we all have done is to experiment with different makes and gauges of strings so we find the set that works best with that particular instrument. I have gone through 15 different makes before settling on the Mapes strings, Now what works for me may very well not work for you.
    Which Mapes do you use? Phosphor?
    "Can I have a little more talent in the monitors please?"

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I also like the j-74s on arch-top mandolins and am currently very happy with the EXP74cm set, which beefs up the E and A strings by a half tick. I am still on my Thomastik Heavy (154st) on my oval hole A3.

There is only one string that goes on my flat-top - the GHS A250.

Just sharing what I like.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Tom, can’t remember which oval hole you wound up with...Kentucky 200 series? If so, ej74 or ej75 (or equivalent gauges in GHS or whatever other brand you might like) should be fine from a structural standpoint. Buy a couple of sets and see what you like. My Kentucky 675 S really needed 75s to drive the top...made a tremendous difference. But that is an early 2000s model right after they moved to China, and the product they’re putting out now is far superior, IMHO.

If you have an old vintage Gibson be careful not to go too heavy. If you got a Martin A, Flatiron pancake, etc, would use very light strings (like j62, ghs a250, etc).
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
    Which Mapes do you use? Phosphor?
    Kevin,

I use the phosphor strings in a custom gauge 11.5 16 26 40.

Blog Entries

My limited experience is that, within a range, string gauge effects volume more than anything, and string composition and type effects tone qualities such as warmth or brilliance. But there are a lot of variables.

I stay with my J74s unless there is a reason not to. Bowbacks, for example I use GHS Ultra Lights, and my Stiver I use J75 because I read that Lou Stiver built the instrument with those strings in mind.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Not to hijack this thread and perhaps this question deserves it's own thread...

Regardless of mandolin build type and age*, what are the "middle of the road" strings? Which set should someone start with when beginning the sampling of different string sets?

*understanding that certain very old mandolins, like some of the antique tater bugs, should only be strung the lightest gauges.

I'm not sure there is "Middle of the road" string....I have tried cheap sets and expensive sets and don`t see a whole lot of difference in either of them, I know a lot of people will dis agree with that and spend 25 -30 dollars for sets of strings but I just don`t think they are worth that much....

Willie

I have to agree with Willie, there is no middle of the road strings. I have bought strings from $2.00 (on sale) to Thomastik at $30.00 a set. My go to string for years was the GHS A270's nice strings and they cost around $9.00. I now use Mapes strings at $5.00 and they sound great and last longer than the GHS strings,

28. The following members say thank you to George R. Lane for this post:

I should clarify my "Middle of the road". I wasn't considering cost as much as gauges. And I think I need to try Mapes..

30. The following members say thank you to Ky Slim for this post:

I’d consider EJ74 as “middle of the road.” Safe for most modern builds, easy on the fingers, and generally great tone. That said, I prefer J75s on all but my Flatiron 1N, Martin A, and National resonator, which require different gauges.

Would never use them on a bowlback, flat top, etc, though...
    Chuck