Thread: Mandolin Teachers in Seattle?

Default Mandolin Teachers in Seattle?

Hey cafe,

I'm a guitar player and violinist, now new to the mandolin as well.

I would like to take my learning seriously, and make this a lifelong instrument (it's so much fun!). With that in mind, I would really like to focus on developing proper technique as I progress. I think this is particularly important for me, as I can already read music and know how to fret the notes, so I want to be extra conscious that I am not moving too fast and being a detriment to my technique.

For these early stages, in addition to YouTube and the one book I have, I really think I could benefit from some hands-on in-person instruction. I can't afford consistent lessons, but I would happily pay for a few hour long lessons just to get myself feeling good technically on the instrument.

So, that said, do you all know of any good (preferably affordable) mandolin instructors in the Seattle area? I know Dusty Strings has instruction. Does anyone have experience with their teachers? I'd love to hear about it! I live in the Capital Hill area and don't have a car (I'm a student), so the closer to me the better but I can definitely commute if need be.

Thanks!

Default Re: Mandolin Teachers in Seattle?

I live in Cap Hill as well, closest decent lessons are going to be at Dusty Strings. Which as you know is about an hour away by public transport. You can pretty much walk there in that time if you're close to the north end of Broadway. If you're looking for bluegrass style lessons there are a couple of teachers on the eastside but they are pretty much strictly "that's how Bill did it so that's the only way" kind of guys. If you're interested in anything Celtic, jazz, or the like there really isn't much locally at all. Kinda sucks but it is what it is. I've heard tell of a guy out on the Olympic peninsula but that's a serious investment of time getting over there. Although you could get some serious warm up and after-lesson practice time in on the ferry back.
    The peeps giving private lessons at Dusty Stings are decent, but ask your questions up front as some are more "bluegrass purist" than others.

feel free to pm me if you want to know more.

We'll be playing Kell's in Post Alley the 2nd and 3rd of Feb., swing by and bs about mandolins and stuff

3. The following members say thank you to Bad Monkey for this post:

gtani7 

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

I took some lessons from Pete Martin. He's a terrific teacher. I don't know if he's still giving lessons but I'd highly recommend him.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billhay4 For This Useful Post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

I can't remember the name of the guy who taught me at Green River Music in Auburn nearly 20 years ago. I wish I could... I also with that store was still around.

Thank you all very much. I will inquire with Pete and the teachers at Dusty Strings to see what the best option would be for me. I suppose that may depend on where exactly Pete is located.

Also @Bad Monkey, I don't know where Kell's is (it sounds familiar? I think I see a billboard for it sometimes?) but I'll definitely check it out. I would love to drop by for the performance! Thanks for the heads up.
    On that note, if you have any recommendations of Seattle venues/artists that often feature mandolin, I would love to hear some suggestions! I love a good live show and now that I'm picking up the mandolin it'd be fun to see it live more often.

Pete Martin is the guy!

Check out the Seattle Mandolin Orchestra as well. Can't beat it for experience in reading music on the mandolin and playing in a group: http://seattlemandolin.org
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I teach in NW Seattle and Issaquah. My wife Carol teaches at Dusty Strings.

You can see sample lessons here:
    http://www.petimarpress.com/videos.html
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

10. The following members say thank you to Pete Martin for this post:

gtani7 

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post
    I can't remember the name of the guy who taught me at Green River Music in Auburn nearly 20 years ago. I wish I could... I also with that store was still around.
    I taught there during that time so it might have been me but maybe not as I don't recognize your photo Zach. There was a guitar teacher that also played banjo there so it might have been him, he lived in Enumclaw.

Hope to meet you sometime and play some Zach!
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Martin View Post
    I teach in NW Seattle and Issaquah. My wife Carol teaches at Dusty Strings.

You can see sample lessons here:
    http://www.petimarpress.com/videos.html
    Gosh, this place is so cool. Seems like everyone from the mandolin community is tuned in here.

Thank you Pete, I will be emailing you in the next day or two. I appreciate you reaching out to me!

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Martin View Post
    I taught there during that time so it might have been me but maybe not as I don't recognize your photo Zach. There was a guitar teacher that also played banjo there so it might have been him, he lived in Enumclaw.

Hope to meet you sometime and play some Zach!
    That was definitely him. He taught a friend of mine banjo there and would play guitar to back me up while teaching me.

I think his name was Phill???? Cool guy. Always patient it seemed. I have a cassette tape of fiddle tunes he recorded for me to practice with. I bet his name is on it.

I hope to meet you and play too 🤓

Another teacher in the area is Dave Keenan. I think he teaches at Dusty but also from his house in the Rainier Valley area.
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

There are a couple of mandolin workshops at Wintergrass next month that might be worth checking out if you are going. If you aren't going, then you should be
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

I was actually hoping to get more info on Wintergrass, I think will be attending but I have no idea what to expect.

Also, Dawg is playing, no?

Keep an eye on Wintergrass here:
    http://www.wintergrass.com/
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls