Thread: Is An Upgrade Worth It?

Default Is An Upgrade Worth It?

Hello Cafe Friends!

I'm working on clearing some space in my apartment and this includes probably selling some of the music stuff that I've gathered over the years and don't use anymore (digital piano, electric guitar, studio monitors, etc.). I'm considering using the money from that stuff to upgrade my mandolin. I'm estimating that selling some of these things plus my existing mandolin could get me somewhere between $1500-$2000.

I currently play an Eastman MD505. So, I'm curious to hear some opinions and experiences... is an upgrade to this price range worth it? Or should I be more responsible and do something like put this money towards my student loans?

I don't have any delusions that spending more money is going to make me a better player, I'm just looking for some improved sound quality. I'm also happy to buy a used instrument to effectively get me to a higher price range.

Likewise, any suggestions for mandolins to try out would be appreciated. I'm fortunate to be just over an hour from Elderly Instruments, but even their inventory of mandolins can seem small sometimes relative to what's out there.

Thanks!

Default Re: Is An Upgrade Worth It?

You have a good mandolin, pay your bills so one day your kids don't have too.

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

If a better, more than expensive mandolin inspires (or guilt trips) you to play more, it will make you better.

Quote Originally Posted by dougl122 View Post
    Hello Cafe Friends!

I'm working on clearing some space in my apartment and this includes probably selling some of the music stuff that I've gathered over the years and don't use anymore (digital piano, electric guitar, studio monitors, etc.). I'm considering using the money from that stuff to upgrade my mandolin. I'm estimating that selling some of these things plus my existing mandolin could get me somewhere between $1500-$2000.

I currently play an Eastman MD505. So, I'm curious to hear some opinions and experiences... is an upgrade to this price range worth it? Or should I be more responsible and do something like put this money towards my student loans?

I don't have any delusions that spending more money is going to make me a better player, I'm just looking for some improved sound quality. I'm also happy to buy a used instrument to effectively get me to a higher price range.

Likewise, any suggestions for mandolins to try out would be appreciated. I'm fortunate to be just over an hour from Elderly Instruments, but even their inventory of mandolins can seem small sometimes relative to what's out there.

Thanks!
    Pay your bills, friend. Debt is bad. I have an Eastman 505 too; its a great instrument!

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

An Eastman 505 is a mid grade instrument. Not a poor instrument by any means. It is fine for a student player. There is absolutely nothing wrong with continuing to play it. Buying a higher grade Eastman or other manufacturers instrument will encourage you. It will have a more complex tone and playability up the neck will be improved. The bling factor can be "cool" too. So either way you decide to go it's a good direction. Go somewhere and play the higher grade Eastman and Kentucky mandolins and anything else that strikes your fancy. Educating your total mandolin experience is always worthwhile. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

The financial planner in me says pay down the debt.

I would have to agree, pay down the debt. When that is gone those payments can be used for an upgrade. In the mean time work on getting the best sound out of what you have. You can refit the bridge, adjust action, make sure the intonation is accurate. Learning how to do these adjustments is important and can make your present mandolin or any mandolin you get in the future sound better.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Pay down the debt. Good for you for even asking the question.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

Get rid of the debt. Pay off your loans as quickly as you can.

The interest on loans is money that you are taking away from your disposable income.

Just a crude example: Let’s say your annual interest is $1000. That’s $1000 out of your pocket each year that you are unable to spend on things you want or need. Pay off the loan, and that $1000 is now yours to use for discretionary spending. You’ve just given yourself a $1000 raise.

You’ve got a good mandolin. Enjoy it. And it will be even more enjoyable when you look at the opportunity you’re creating for yourself to be free of some debt.

10. The following members say thank you to NursingDaBlues for this post:

B381 

Are you dissatisfied in any way with your Eastman?

I've just been down the path, albeit from further down the ladder than you, and in fact the Eastman was one of the models that I considered - in the end I found something that sounded better to me though.

But both the Eastman and what I bought sorted issues that I had with my old instrument.

So I'd ask yourself what your looking for in a new instrument. It will at least focus your search if you start and, as you seem to be uncertain, will force you to evaluate your Eastman.

If you didn't have a mandolin, there could be some argument to forgoing bills/debt and getting one, but since you own a nice mandolin now, the obvious choice is to put the money elsewhere.

Not that I take always my own advise!
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

The responsible thing to do would be to pay on your debts. You might also improve the sound/playability of you Eastman by having a pro setup and possibly install a Cumberland Acoustics bridge. This wouldn't take too much money, and might get you a notch higher than where you are.

That said, I will say that when I moved from my Eastman 815 to my Weber Bitteroot-A, there was a significant improvement in both tone and playability. It has really been an encouragement to play more, and further improve my technique. Since I bought the Weber, I have also recently added a nice Summit F-style, which is just as good as the Weber. Both of my current mandolins have beautiful and complex tones, with good volume. They just sound more like what I want to hear. I can honestly say that the upgrade from the Eastman was well worth it, and I could never see going back. It's not just hype. Better mandolins from well-known makers are costly, but there is absolutely a huge difference in the playing experience.

Pay your student loans. The faster they are gone the sooner you can use that money to buy mandolins.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber