Thread: the very existence of the Eastwood W. Ellis electric mandocello

bass player gone mando

Default the very existence of the Eastwood W. Ellis electric mandocello

at $649 is making me a little crazy. Here's a link:

https://eastwoodguitars.com/products...lis-mandocello

Anyone here ever played one of these? At the price, is it a decent build quality?
    Collings MT O
    Collings MF5 0
    Weber Gallatin Mandola
    Weber Bitterroot Mandola
    Weber Sage Octave

Default Re: the very existence of the Eastwood W. Ellis electric mandocel

Look, I've never played this instrument before, so take my advice with a block of salt.

A buddy of mine bought an Eastwood electric mandola, and while it was definitely a fun toy, it never became a permanent member of his gigging rotation. He eventually sold the thing. Why?

It felt cheap in more ways than one. Like thick poly coating? That's what you get here. The hardware wasn't particularly well made, the electronics... worked I guess? You'd have to drop some money into getting it set up properly, including possibly a nicer nut. I HATED the guitar bridge, which made for crappy mando-tone and made intonation difficult. It's been a while, but overall it just wasn't that satisfying to play beyond the initial novelty.

I'm not saying cheap instruments can't have mojo. I love Danelectro guitars, even the cheap Korean ones. This Eastman just didn't have anything that justified the price tag to me. Maybe the 'cello will be different. I love that fender mustang style body. The blade in the single coil is probably a good choice for picking all the strings across the courses of the instrument. 25.5" should significantly reduce the string rattle so common to cheaper electric mandocelli. But does the instrument REALLY need those cheesy on/off switches? Can I trust that they've shielded their electronics and put in a decent set of pickups? Is those pots at 250k or 500k, and will I absolutely hate the humbucker for it? Kluson tuners?

I'd buy one used for $300 or so. Beyond that, I'd prefer to save my dough.

EastWOOD, not EastMAN....... Check yourself....

Eastman 'celli go right on top of my "meh" pile as well... You're right there's a clear distinction in quality though.

bass player gone mando

All good points. I'll go with a Weber two-point 'cello instead, I guess. :-)
    Collings MT O
    Collings MF5 0
    Weber Gallatin Mandola
    Weber Bitterroot Mandola
    Weber Sage Octave