Thread: Can we talk mandolin rhythm/backup playing?

Default Can we talk mandolin rhythm/backup playing?

I play various styles of music; everything from pop, old-time, blues, jazz, Celtic and bluegrass. I also play in large jams, duets with my wife (guitar) and solo mandolin with vocals. While my lead playing has improved significantly over the last year, my rhythm/backup playing has remained pretty basic. I can do basic chop patterns pretty well. I can do a basic boom-chuck with a few embellishments. I do a bunch of strumming patterns that I'm not particularly in love with.

I'd really like to improve my rhythm/backup playing this next year. I can hear on recordings how much variety the great players have in their backup playing. I'm wondering if there are any learning materials out there that I could work through to improve my backup playing? Is that Sam Bush DVD worth it? I'm also signed up on artistworks with Mike Marshall but I can never find anything with their search "feature" so there might be something there?

It seems like each situation requires a different treatment and I'm at a bit of a loss for knowing what will work best. Any tips for figuring this all out would be greatly appreciated.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Can we talk mandolin rhythm/backup playing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUCHfqMXGCo

Here's the pattern I use: listen listen steal

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Wilson For This Useful Post:

I'd watch Sierra Hull a lot. Her and Justin Moses have some really cool trading - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SySY3-a6yjQ. She typically focuses on the low two notes for rhythm - keeps it really clean for the soloist while providing a nice bed to play with.

Sam Bush has some incredible rhythm movements with live bands - his use of triplet's and other rhythmic devices are really neat, especially in the world of bluegrass. Most live videos of his stuff - especially the longer jams - will highlight that. This is mostly about sub-dividing the beat to add some interesting aspect (think how a funk or jazz drummer plays)

I'd suggest listening to a lot of jazz - especially gypsy jazz. The substitutions used can open up your playing nicely and typically will help you add some new ideas to your arsenal
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

5. The following members say thank you to mbruno for this post:

Take a one on one lesson or 2 with Don Juilin probably the quickest way to get what your after that man can play but more importantly he can teach. One or two lessons with him and you’ll be on your way. I think he has a deal going $150 for 4 lessons best money I’ve spent in my mandolin journey !
    Lou

The two pieces of advice I've gotten that I go by:
    • On open chords, stay light on the E string. It can sound shrill when playing rhythm.
    • On chops, don't just do the typical pattern or even the boom chuck. Vary it. I took a workshop with Roland White and he said the standard chop is boring. The good players throw in variations, even if only slight, to mix it up.

8. The following members say thank you to John Flynn for this post:

I'd suggest spending a lot of time on Youtube watching Sam Bush play rhythm.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by dadsaster View Post
    Is that Sam Bush DVD worth it?
    That should be an easy one to answer - why wouldn't it be? Sam being one of the great mandolin rhythm players and all, and he's been mentioned above a few times in this context.

I'm not saying that you need that DVD or that you should buy it, or that it will give you everything you're looking for right now. But in my experience, my opinion only, I've never gotten any Homespun DVD that was not worth it. Great stuff taught by great players at homespun. Bush, Marshall and Blake are my favorites from Homespun.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

11. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    That should be an easy one to answer - why wouldn't it be? Sam being one of the great mandolin rhythm players and all, and he's been mentioned above a few times in this context.

I'm not saying that you need that DVD or that you should buy it, or that it will give you everything you're looking for right now. But in my experience, my opinion only, I've never gotten any Homespun DVD that was not worth it. Great stuff taught by great players at homespun. Bush, Marshall and Blake are my favorites from Homespun.
    +1 on Homespun

If you are playing music styles where the mandolin is not a common instrument, it helps to eventually understand what the ENTIRE rhythm section is doing and then determine what you will play based on what role is not being filled by others in the ensemble. I find myself playing different roles when one instrument drops out (say a piano or guitar solo), then back to something else when that solo ends.

Quite often, that helps the ensemble sound best.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pete Martin For This Useful Post:

Jim Ricter is worth a look. He has some interesting ideas for backup and quite a bit of stuff on his website. There’s a small charge for full access to the page. I have his book too I really enjoyed reading and trying to play the exercises etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    Jim Ricter is worth a look. He has some interesting ideas for backup and quite a bit of stuff on his website. There’s a small charge for full access to the page. I have his book too I really enjoyed reading and trying to play the exercises etc.

+1 for jim

http://ukulelego.com/stuff/32-ukulel...ming-patterns/
    I often finger a chord on the mando with my left hand and then play single strings. I start the bar with the fourth (fattest) string and that first note I play is usually the root note of the chord. Then I pick strings sometimes with a strum, but I use the strum patterns from the chart above to give an arpeggio/ strum. I'll often pick the same pattern of strumming for the entire tune/song especially if it's something exotic like reggae and then occasionally stop to pick the melody lines or mimic/respond to the singer and in that way help to pull the song together. Have fun!