Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: small workbench

Default small workbench

Looking for a reasonably priced wood hobby bench/table (not bigger than 2'x4', vise not needed) for a minor instrument work, handloading and general stuff. The Woodcraft stuff is over budget and i haven't found anything in the Home Depot or other such catalogs, and would rather not build.

Suggestions?

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Default Re: small workbench

Lee Valley has these workstations which look like a very nice solution as they're so adaptable to different needs.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

Might find something here...

https://www.grizzly.com/workbenches
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

Harbor Freight. Sign up for the e-mail coupons and save even more. 2X4 is pretty small. I'd be tempted to modify one of the 2X6 wooden benches myself.

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...Cf&q=workbench
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

5. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

i see some pretty good benches. Yes 2x4 is pretty small, but the space is a pretty small nook.

The compact bench would be great in a small area. Add a StewMac guitar vice. http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...36&cat=1,41637

That's a really nice short bench. The only thing I would choke on with that is the price but then again, I'm cheap
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

I know you don't want to build but this is pretty flexible.

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-90164...ords=workbench
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

There really is some neat stuff out there.

https://www.seattlefindings.com/Comp...lers_Workbench
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

--M. Stillion

--J. Garber

The problem with the smaller benches is that they are not heavy enough and flex. The ones I have required reinforcement to keep still when leveling frets and such. Otherwise they are fine. One of the best purchases I made is from Home depot. You can get their mobile work benches on sale and I love having the storage.

I have this one here that was like $289 on sale and I have seen the black version for $200.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-46...4806/300777246

The quality is not bad, but same issue if you are sanding or something like that, it shakes around. It has made a great stand for smaller power tools and extra bench space for instrument setups.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

If it actually is a nook, like a closet, I would secure a 2X4 on the two opposing walls and cut a piece of 3/4" plywood to fit between and call it a day. A third 2X4 can then be put on the back wall if you desire. If you want to hammer in frets a piece of 2X4 that is the right height from the floor to under the table to support the extra impact can be slipped in and out when needed. I am kind of like Mike, i'm not really cheap, but can't afford to pay more than necessary. Is that cheap?
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

There's also this.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    If it actually is a nook, like a closet, I would secure a 2X4 on the two opposing walls and cut a piece of 3/4" plywood to fit between and call it a day. A third 2X4 can then be put on the back wall if you desire. If you want to hammer in frets a piece of 2X4 that is the right height from the floor to under the table to support the extra impact can be slipped in and out when needed. I am kind of like Mike, i'm not really cheap, but can't afford to pay more than necessary. Is that cheap?
    Nope...making economical use of resources = frugal.
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

Formerly Know As B-MAN Bret Roberts's Avatar
    Back in Minnesota after 27 years in Europe

If your going to be using it for reloading also, your first priority is going to make sure it is as solid as a rock for your press and for measuring out loads. If your bench looks anything like mine, after a while there will be no room for any instrument work.

This could be the start of Bench Acquisition Syndrome. So many choices.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

I own a hand made Swedish bench once owned, and custom ordered, by Jim Krenov when he was still in Sweden. . The bench is 6 feet plus long. Weighs quite a bit. Very serviceable.. . It has seen quite a bit of use; had it now for 40 years

I also own a 5 ft Sjoberg which has all the drawers and doors. I paid $450 new for this one. About half the price of the new ones and better built. Half the weight of the Swedish bench.
    I have the Stew Mac vice bolted to it. I use this for some of my instrument work and it contains all my chisels, sharpening stones, carving tools etc.

The bench I use most is self made from 4x4s, 2x4s and plywood top with 1/4 Masonite on top of that. I use it most. Sturdy.

Build your own., if possible.

Most of the benches that I looked at through the links that were posted appear to be kits that would have to be put together once they arrived at your house. If this is the case, I think it would be better to just go ahead and buy the materials and build one yourself that is larger to accommodate both of your hobbies. This way you can customize it to your needs and beef it up in the areas that need more strength like where you mount your press or a vise. Just my thoughts. Of course, if space is an issue, then I understand wanting one that is smaller. Good luck with whatever you come up with and keep us posted.
    ManjoMan

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Harbor Freight. Sign up for the e-mail coupons and save even more. 2X4 is pretty small. I'd be tempted to modify one of the 2X6 wooden benches myself.

A year or so I wanted to get one of those and the price seemed right. I took a trip to the store to look at the demo model and found that the one they were selling then was pretty flimsy. I would suggest that you take a look, of possible, before ordering from HF. Some of there stuff has improved over the years but you never know.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

The choices just keep getting better and better. Kind of like mandolins, the front runners are over budget and i may have to pry open my wallet a bit wider with a crowbar (there's a need for a new acronym). The piggybank is at risk for sure.

i forgot to mention the space is in front of windows, so i can't make a wall mounting system work.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post

I have one of these Harbor Freight benches and it work great for me. Look for coupons and you can get one for around $100. Nice storage for tools and a bottom shelf.

I used to own a wonderful small (25" x 60") Danish bench for woodcarving made by Larson, but it cost me $250 bucks 30+ years ago. Who knows what it would be now.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. E View Post
    I have one of these Harbor Freight benches and it work great for me. Look for coupons and you can get one for around $100. Nice storage for tools and a bottom shelf.

I used to own a wonderful small (25" x 60") Danish bench for woodcarving made by Larson, but it cost me $250 bucks 30+ years ago. Who knows what it would be now.
    That is good to know. Maybe I will take another look. Maybe they improved the stability. The one I looked at a few years ago was wobbly.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Jim, on the website they show three or four that look pretty much the same but have different model numbers, same price. I'm assuming they come from different vendors. That might be the difference.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

All the posts have been quite helpful and have aided in expanding the search. At the moment, the one that floats to the top for my situation looks like a Sjoberg Hobby Bench 850. The Woodcraft just north of Richmond might have some in stock, which is a 60+ minute drive. Many thanks to the posters for taking the time to help me out. Good pickin' to all y'all.

If you are on a budget....find an old exterior solid core door and cut it to fit whatever you need. Exterior doors are 1.75" thick and flat.