Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amplifier recommendation

Default Re: Amplifier recommendation

Almost applied to Sweetwater's financing thing to get one, after figuring out if I wanted straight jacks to 90° versions. Figured would get Straight on end, 90° on the other. But I could not pull the trigger just yet.

I'm not good enough to play on an amp. I can sort of make melodic noise, yet in a group setting I hold back a lot more. Think that is due to not knowing what chords they are in - am slowly starting to recognize guitar hand placements of the lead player. And I need to work on better strum patterns with these semi-country players.

Was tempted, still am, but I'm not good enough yet. Had only been a few months since getting a mandolin.

PS: Sweetwater claims they ship the amps free of charge.
    • Seagull S8 • Weber Y2K6 • David Hudson Bloodwood Didgeridoo (C#) •

Blog Entries

Normally, retailers ship new amps 'free'. This is mostly a concern if buying used - when it can really cost! They are pretty heavy and not easy things to pack safely.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Quote Originally Posted by James Miller View Post
    Almost applied to Sweetwater's financing thing to get one, after figuring out if I wanted straight jacks to 90° versions. Figured would get Straight on end, 90° on the other. But I could not pull the trigger just yet.

I'm not good enough to play on an amp. I can sort of make melodic noise, yet in a group setting I hold back a lot more. Think that is due to not knowing what chords they are in - am slowly starting to recognize guitar hand placements of the lead player. And I need to work on better strum patterns with these semi-country players.

Was tempted, still am, but I'm not good enough yet. Had only been a few months since getting a mandolin.

PS: Sweetwater claims they ship the amps free of charge.
    Don't let the "I'm Not Good Enough Yet Monster" hold you back; you'll get there. That could probably be said for anyone at any given time...just sayin'...if you want it, get it and enjoy it alone until you decide to mix it up with others! Life's too short...knowwhatImean?
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

Playing with an amplifier opens up a whole new world, like playing with various echo, delay, reverb, chorus, flanger effects etc. It's not just playing acoustic but louder (well it can be, but doesn't have to be.) I'd say once you're able to afford an amp, get one. They can also be handy in certain cases for recording purposes.