Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amplifier recommendation

Default Amplifier recommendation

Question--beginner just got a mandolin and am looking for an amplifier--I will never be great and don't need to spend an arm and a leg but would like something good with the capability of using it with a microphone as well as inputting music from auxiliary sources--phone/cd/etc. to practice to if that is even possible. Have looked at Fender 20--but read that one should not get a guitar amp for a mandolin but an acoustic amp instead? What's your advice and recommendation? Thanks!.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Default Re: Amplifier recommendation

Hello,

First... does "Bilwlsn" stand for Bill Wilson? That's my dad's name 🤓

I use a simple, but effective. Small, but powerful Crete ca30 like this one (nfi).

I've had mine for over 10 years and haven't had any problems at all!

It has an "insert" line that when paired with a 1/4 to 1/8 in adapter can be used for a phone/laptop/CD.

It has some onboard effects that I don't use much with my mandolin but come in handy when I'm playing acoustic guitar.

https://reverb.com/item/7310243-crat...EALw_wcB&pla=1

What type of mandolin do you have, and what sort of pickups? Generally acoustic mandolins with a piezo or microphone pickup work best with acoustic guitar amps, and electric mandolins with magnetic pickups work best with electric guitar amps. If you're looking for a practice amp rather than a performance amp there are a wide range of affordable options, especially used.

4. The following members say thank you to Seter for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bilwlsn View Post
    that one should not get a guitar amp for a mandolin but an acoustic amp instead? What's your advice and recommendation? Thanks!.
    Yea, I learned that the hard way. I don't know the specifics of why and how, but there are amps designed for making you sound acoustic, only much louder, for an acoustic instrument or for vocals. and there are amplifiers designed for electric guitars and such. Instruments work best with the correct amp.

Just a warning. I have learned that there is something called amplifier acquisition syndrome. I got one amp, and now I have four. How the heck...
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bilwlsn View Post
    Question--beginner just got a mandolin and am looking for an amplifier--I will never be great and don't need to spend an arm and a leg but would like something good with the capability of using it with a microphone as well as inputting music from auxiliary sources--phone/cd/etc. to practice to if that is even possible. Have looked at Fender 20--but read that one should not get a guitar amp for a mandolin but an acoustic amp instead? What's your advice and recommendation? Thanks!.
    How about this?

https://www.fishman.com/products/series/loudbox/

Not knowing what you want to spend, there seem to be some good package deals [with mic, stand, cord] at Sweetwater [look under acoustic guitar amps]. Good luck...
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

8. The following members say thank you to wildpikr for this post:

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

I recently bought a Fender Frontman 10G for $59. I really like it. If you decide you need to upgrade later, you'll have a spare. I'll try to post a pic.

10. The following members say thank you to Sherry Cadenhead for this post:

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

I can't figure out the pic right now. Try Google if interested.

Blog Entries

Main difference:

'Electric' amps will usually use a single full range loudspeaker (though in reality, its frequency response is pretty restricted). That delivers the 'tone' electric players are used to and seek out.

'Acoustic' amps will normally have a separate 'woofer', a X-over, and a 'tweeter'. Rather like a hi-fi speaker. This delivers a far more 'realistic' tone.

It is very much about what we have become accustomed to hear.....

There will also be (major) differences in the input and tone/EQ circuits....
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

13. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

The loud box mini is the basic go to decent at a reasonable price acoustic amp. I find its vocal sound ok but not great. My Carvin AG 300 has served me well for everything from Uke to bass and all things in between, but alas, they closed down last year.

I've found Roland to be a solid brand as well.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

15. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

I’ve played and sang through a few and the Fishman Loudbox artist is fantastic great sounding mandolin and vocal amp with separate effects on both inputs. I think you can get a good used one for around $350. I also recommend the Loudbox mini which I used but it wasn’t loud enough for use in a full band. You can get a good used mini for around $200.
    Lou

17. The following members say thank you to Loubrava for this post:

I love my "Acoustic Image" - minimal size and handles everything from mandolin to bass - but they ain't cheap!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ray(T) For This Useful Post:

Typically Acoustic Amps have 2 channels for a sing and play performer, your open mic guitar solo player..

If you have a Piezo * type pickup, one from a company like Fishman that also makes the pickups, would be a place to start..

* they're popular because they're easy to make.. so dont cost much.

Me, ? Roland AC 60 works.. not big but, transformer power-supply heavy
    decent padded bag to haul it around in..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

21. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I went with the Marshall Acoustic Soloist AS100D. 100 watts and 4 separate channels which I thought would be pretty versatile. The 4th channel has two RCA jack inputs for use with stereo devices. Two of the channels can deliver phantom power for mics that need it. I believe it is a pretty versatile unit, but heavy as an anvil, which makes it less popular.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marshall-as100d.jpg 
Views:	5579 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	163929
    For me, the key to getting it was to shop for deals, either dented or used, and I pounced when I found the right deal on one.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

I have had great success with the Schertler Jam. It runs a bit more than the standard fishman and assorted main stream acoustic amps, but it’s a world of difference in sound. Small package, 8” speaker and a horn with 200 watts of power. I have plugged two guitars and a vocal mike into it and filled quite a few indoor and outdoor venues with sound. It also doesn’t color my instruments the way some fishman and Roland amps did. It sounds like my guitar just louder. If you can find one used, don’t hesitate. New around 899.
    Its not a backwards guitar.

25. The following members say thank you to Freddyfingers for this post:

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Levon Helm played his Stiver through an older generation Fishman Loudbox Performer 130 w. That was reason enough for me to pick up the 100. Compared with the current line the older ones sound at least as good, are robust with features (love my fx loops per channel) not to mention a better build for gigging (metal vs cloth grill) and are a huge value for the money.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rigel and Acoustic Rig.jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	469.0 KB 
ID:	163957
    Last edited by Dave Greenspoon; Jan-12-2018 at 11:40pm.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

27. The following members say thank you to Dave Greenspoon for this post:

I have 2 loudbox artist and very happy with them both violin and vocals, the impedance is an important factor 10m ohms is recommended for piezo .
    don't know where you are but I would sell my extra
    for 350

29. The following members say thank you to kjbllc for this post:

One line that doesnt get talked about so much, but are reasonably priced and work well, are Peavey eCoustics. Some of the smaller ones, like the dual 8” or the 110 (get it, one 10”) might be worth your while, they are actually marketed as practice amps now, not having ouputs to hook into a larger PA. I have one of the original 112s, still works well after 15 years but a bit heavy and doesnt sound as good as the newer, lighter ones.

Some folks like Fender Acoustasonics, I never have, always found them tinny-sounding.

31. The following members say thank you to Bill Cameron for this post:

Blog Entries

I've been playing through a Fishman Loudbox Performer, and have it dialed in the way I want. I think the Loudbox Artist sounds better, less bass heavy for mandolin, but I got a Performer in on trade at the shop and kept it for myself. I think the Loudbox amps are some of the best sounding acoustic amps, but the aren't cheap, and the material tears easy, so it's hard to keep them looking pretty.

Jeremy

33. The following members say thank you to MandolinChapman for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by saintjohnbarleycorn View Post
    I have 2 loudbox artist and very happy with them both violin and vocals, the impedance is an important factor 10m ohms is recommended for piezo .
    don't know where you are but I would sell my extra
    for 350
    Actually 1M ohms is what several great sounding preamps are and a lot of piezo pickups are too. 10M gives you a factor of ten and can work with anything, but an actual match is the best. K&K preamps match their pickups with a 1m ohm input.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

Yes Bill Wilson! How are you son?

I have had a Behringer AT108 for about 9 years now. Works great, sound good with piezo pick-up. I have several better but still use this when size and weight are an issue. It has been quite loud enough for some coffee shop jobs.
    Jim Richmond

Have been considering a Sweetwater Fishman Loudbox Mini deal they have going on. Amp, mic, mic cord, mic stand combo for $329. Looks like the amp input from the mandolin is 1/4" and my mandolin is also 1/4". This amp I like in that it also allows a 1/8" input for music players too.

Guess I have to ask a 'turtle on the post' question... are the cables "monotone"? Guess in the digital would I figured everything was in stereo, up until I was toying with the idea of getting one and the cable wizard came up and I wondered... stereo or mono cord?!?

Have been looking for a more affordable solution. Not had much success or skill finding a good deal.
    A neighbor wanted to sell me a 40# amp made by Kustom, used for $100, but I just don't know.

The fellow that I bought the Weber Y2K6 from swears by the Fishman Loudboxes.
    • Seagull S8 • Weber Y2K6 • David Hudson Bloodwood Didgeridoo (C#) •

Blog Entries

Guitars amps are mono.

If they do include a 'stereo' input from music players, they sum the stereo signal to mono.

Stereo is of very little use or relevance in live sound in any event as your audience are spread out all over the room....
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

40. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

I like the Fishman Loudbox Mini. You can find them for about $250 used. Good clean sound, dual channel, small and lightweight.
    I also like the RMS AC40. New for about $175. Also dual channel and the sounds is good, but the chorus is super noisy, so I don't use that.
    https://www.amazon.com/RMS-Watt-Acou.../dp/B0015GTOSW
    Heavier and bigger than the Fishman mini though.
    Whatever you buy, make sure you check the shipping rates. Amps are heavy and can be pricey to ship.
    Here's a used one for $100 + about $25 to ship
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/In-...r-Combo-Amp.gc

Fishman Loudbox is the way to go works especially well for vocals too. A really nice sounding amp you can’t go wrong and Fishman policy of fixing any of there amps for $50 regardless of if you bought it used or new is very reassuring if buying used.

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loubrava For This Useful Post: