Thread: Just ordered a new mandolin.

Default Just ordered a new mandolin.

Hi everyone. I haven’t posted much in a while. I sold my house in New Jersey this summer and spent months driving all over the USA, both for fun and to decide where to move to. Two weeks ago we moved into an apartment in NW portland, Oregon, right next to Forest Park. Anyway, I have been concentrating on tenor guitar and fiddle for a while and had sold my mandolins a while back. Yesterday I ordered a new mandolin and should have it in a couple of days. I can’t wait. My wife and I are now retired and I should have a ton of time to play both tenor and mandolin. I’m not yet sure about playing fiddle in the apartment. We live right next to about eighty miles of trails. My son and I are avid hikers, cyclists and climbers, and Portland is an ideal location. I need to get hooked in to the acoustic music scene here, but it looks promising. After crossing the country several times in several months it is so nice to not have to drive, we walk and cycle everywhere, pretty much. I’ve been missing having a mandolin. I hope it makes it here before the weekend, but probably not.

Default Re: Just ordered a new mandolin.

Hey Bruce, what type of mandolin are you getting?
    My wife and I sold our house in Raleigh NC and moved to Saint Augustine FL. Similar to your situation, lot's of musicians in the area and we walk and bike most everywhere.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

3. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Right on! Wecome to the west coast 🤓

If you're ever up in Seattle let me know! We could go to Dusty Strings and drool over some mandolins.

Congratulations on your new mandolin and happy pickin'

5. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by bruce.b View Post
    I’m not yet sure about playing fiddle in the apartment. We live right next to about eighty miles of trails.
    Wouldn't that mean that you *can* play fiddle (or tuba) in your apartment?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

7. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

This weekend will be hopping in our fine state of Oregon with the Portland Old Time Music Gathering. It's a multi-day event filled with music, dancing, stellar beers, mirth and merriment!!!

http://bubbaguitar.com/gathering/

9. The following members say thank you to Jim Roberts for this post:

Blog Entries

Retirement is a pretty good job, isn't it? You picked a good place to settle. Welcome to the neighborhood!
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

11. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

Get a heavy metal fiddle mute, your neighbors will never hear you, then saw away.
    Congrats on getting back into mando, it'll help your fiddling.
    The mute is made of heavy metal, though it could be used for heavy metal type music
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

13. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post:

Thank you for the kind words everyone. I bought a Sawchyn Beavertail mandolin. I’ve always wanted a good pancake style and it was this or a Poe. No Poe’s were available, so it was an easy choice. I happen to equally like the tone of a flattop and carved top, and for what I wanted to spend I could get a top end flattop or an inexpensive carved. I expect to keep this as there isn’t really any pancakes to upgrade to. Not sure if I’ll be in Portland beyond my year lease, but probably somewhere less expensive in this part of the USA after.

15. The following members say thank you to bruce.b for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    Retirement is a pretty good job, isn't it? You picked a good place to settle. Welcome to the neighborhood!
    Portland is a pretty good place. Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce.b View Post
    Thank you for the kind words everyone. I bought a Sawchyn Beavertail mandolin. I’ve always wanted a good pancake style and it was this or a Poe. No Poe’s were available, so it was an easy choice. I happen to equally like the tone of a flattop and carved top, and for what I wanted to spend I could get a top end flattop or an inexpensive carved. I expect to keep this as there isn’t really any pancakes to upgrade to. Not sure if I’ll be in Portland beyond my year lease, but probably somewhere less expensive in this part of the USA after.
    I played a Sawchyn Beavertail mandolin this summer at Dusty Strings in Seattle and it was one of the best army/navy style instruments I've ever heard. Great choice!

18. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post: