Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tailpieces: I wasn't a believer til . . .

Default Re: Tailpieces: I wasn't a believer til . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ostrander View Post
    I might possibly believe that a TP may give more sustain, possibly more volume, but I have a hard time believing that it could change the tone. But I have never swapped a TP so I have no direct experience.
    From others' comments, I gather that everyone has a different experience, and it probably depends on their mandolins, their setups and their own ear. For my mandolin, I didn't hear more volume. What I hear is more clarity in the A and E strings. They have gained a bell-like clarity that causes them to really stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Seruntine View Post
    From others' comments, I gather that everyone has a different experience, and it probably depends on their mandolins, their setups and their own ear. For my mandolin, I didn't hear more volume. What I hear is more clarity in the A and E strings. They have gained a bell-like clarity that causes them to really stand out.
    I am curious about wound strings. While I have heard that the plain strings sound better, I have heard no comments about what it does to the wound strings. My complaint was the wound strings were more muddy. The plain strings seem to come out well anyway, I want clarity from my wound stings and a balance between the two. If the plain strings come out more is the balance affected?
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

From Steve Ostrander - "...but I have a hard time believing that it could change the tone." I'd tend to agree. Having the trebles ''stand out'' a tad more,is one thing,having any strings 'change tone' is another !.
    As in most cases,i suspect that any change at all depends on the individual mandolin/string /gauge pairing.

Pops - I don't think that anybody would want 'muddy' sounding G & D strings,but would they be 'muddy sounding' in 'fact' or simply by ''comparison'' ??. Comparing the tones of both my Ellis "A" style & my Lebeda mandolins,they could be described as 'muddy' compared to my tad 'over-bright' Weber - but ONLY by comparison. If any of my mandolins sounded ''muddy'' on the G & D strings,i'd be changing brand. The most beautifully balanced set of strings i've ever had on any mandolion,were the 8 month old set of DR MD11s that i first put on my Weber. The tone from the wound & plain strings was as good as it could be,& the volume & clarity across the fingerboard was exceptional & as i say,beautifully balanced,no one string course sounded 'louder' than another,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.