Thread: Eastman lacquer finish question

Default Eastman lacquer finish question

Has anyone tried to remove the lacquer finish from an Eastman to improve sound. I assume they use an artificial lacquer. What would be the effect of removing the stock finish and refinishing with a varnish or natural lacquer?

Registered User Steve VandeWater's Avatar

Default Re: Eastman lacquer finish question

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...nished+eastman

This thread describes removing the finish
    It ain't gotta be perfect, as long as it's perfect enough!

Do Eastman's really have a thick finish anyway? The one I had - admittedly some time ago - had a very thin finish indeed.

Registered User Steve VandeWater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    Do Eastman's really have a thick finish anyway? The one I had - admittedly some time ago - had a very thin finish indeed.
    In the link I posted above, the "before" pictures show where some of the finish had chipped off. I was very surprised at how thick it was. I don't think the finish was that thick everywhere on the mandolin, but it was pretty thick where it had chipped off.
    It ain't gotta be perfect, as long as it's perfect enough!

I find Eastmans do sound noticeably more open and louder with the finish sanded

I had a strap fail on a G and L Tele guitar a couple years ago, and was really surprised by how thick its finish was. I also speed-necked an older Kentucky I have and was surprised at the thickness there as well. Apples to Oranges, I realize.

I would be curious to see how thick the Satin Finish is on my 315, but, even though it's my "beater," don't want to ding it to find out . I also like its look and tone, so don't feel compelled to strip it, either. Steve, yours turned out very well!
    Chuck

From Tavy - " The one I had - admittedly some time ago - had a very thin finish indeed.". I've played a couple of Eastman mandolins & maybe it's the colour that gives the impression of a thick finish ? - however !. The guy i know at the music store where i played them,a 'Classical' mandolinist,owned an Eastman mandolin & mandola,& he did describe the finish as being 'thick & soft' (easily marked).

If the finish is 'soft',then a scraper would be the first tool to use. Trying to sand 'soft' finishes is like sanding rubber,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.