Thread: Ashbury Lindisfarne

Default Ashbury Lindisfarne

Had a good experience with an Ashbury Guitar shaped Octave Mandola at my local Hobgoblin shop before Christmas. Seemed to be well constructed, nice woods, good tone. The scale length at 58cm seemed to suit it well. Hard case included, built in Fishman. Anyone else tried one? I'm tempted.

Default Re: Ashbury Lindisfarne

I tried one last summer, like the sound but decided to go for an E Style, I think the main reason was that I wanted something "mandolin shaped" rather than any rational analysis. Overall I'm very happy with mine love the sound and comfortable to play.

I know that Ashbury has some detractors as a brand round here but, based on my experience, once you go above mid-range they have some great instruments and the lower end are great for those starting out or on a low budget.

Plus the folks at Hobgoblin are great to deal with!

3. The following members say thank you to OneChordTrick for this post:

I tried the Lindisfarne tenor guitar a while ago, very nice it was the one in the shop (yes Hobgoblin) that sounded like an upgrade to my current Ashbury tenor, an AT-14.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

5. The following members say thank you to derbex for this post:

Well after two weeks of it coming back to my mind, I had another try and bought it. One set up later to sort out the a string intonation and it's really good. I suspect it is the 58cm scale that makes it sound good, plus the solid woods. It was cased with a built in Fishman. OK it's not a Fylde but it was exactly half the price. So............it's gigging tonight.
    Last edited by RichardF; Jan-13-2018 at 4:58am.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichardF For This Useful Post:

derbexfox 

Enjoy it!

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

nice that you've done it. I was going to chime in earlier, but I think that the guitar bodied one is a bit of a nice instrument. Most Ashbury stuff is so-so, but I think this is a little cracker of a thing. And if you don't like the pickup, you can always get a luthier to take it out, and turn that hole into a soundport... ;-)
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

I gigged it on Saturday, and it worked well for the more acoustic songs. I suppose, having had the Fylde mandolin since 1982 and the Hullah Mandola since 1989 it's an odd choice but the Lindisfarne holds its own in their company and amplifies well. Looking at those dates is more worrying than my choice of instrument to be honest. I was 21 in 1982, that makes me at least ..............23 now doesn't it?.....Enough with the Maths.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardF View Post
    I gigged it on Saturday, and it worked well for the more acoustic songs. I suppose, having had the Fylde mandolin since 1982 and the Hullah Mandola since 1989 it's an odd choice but the Lindisfarne holds its own in their company and amplifies well. Looking at those dates is more worrying than my choice of instrument to be honest. I was 21 in 1982, that makes me at least ..............23 now doesn't it?.....Enough with the Maths.

one for sale now in the classified section

Not mine. Still a good instrument, but I did have to have a new bridge plate fitted in order to cure the intonation on the a string which was almost, but not quite, in tune.