Thread: D'Addario EJ78 AA breaking

Default D'Addario EJ78 AA breaking

(I searched and couldn't find any posts already asking about this so if it already exists, please send me the link. I'd really appreciate any help on this topic.)

Long time lurker here, haven't posted on the forum in years but I'm having an issue I could use some help with.

I recently got an Eastman mdc805sb which I adore, it's even made me neglect the old K1 (which you might be seeing in the classifieds soon, not sure yet. Needs some TLC first.) Anyway, I've been having rotten luck with my AA course breaking (both!) on every single set of j78s I've installed, usually at the tuners. In some cases it's broken before I even got it up to being in tune. I really like the j78s sound and feel but this is getting super annoying. I've tried a set of "lights" from emando that were supposed to be a better fit for the Eastmans but they just weren't my cup of tea size wise. Might order a heavier set from them soon just to keep experimenting. From what I've gathered, the earlier ones shipped with slots too small for normal mandocello strings but mine was made with the D'addario j78s specifically in mind according to the Eastman official specs as well as an Eastman rep I emailed with. I really, REALLY don't want to use strings that are too much smaller than the 78s (especially an unwound AA) but I'm open to anything really.

Anyone had similar issues?

(also posted this in cbom)

PS, just before you get started;
    1: I like the spacing
    2: I know there's others you wished I had gotten
    Last edited by greatgooglymoogly; Jan-07-2018 at 10:08pm. Reason: added info for clarification

Default Re: D'addario ej78 AA breaking

Are they breaking at the tuner itself or simply at the tuner end? If the former, I'd be tempted to dress the tuner hole edges with a file.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ray(T) For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Are they breaking at the tuner itself or simply at the tuner end? If the former, I'd be tempted to dress the tuner hole edges with a file.
    Both always snap at the tuners, I'll get some smooth grit sand paper see if that'll do the trick. I don't see any burs or anything obvious on the tuners but definitely worth a try. thanks!

May take a needle file to chamfer the hole edge..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

6. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

i just rolled up some fine grit sand paper as small as i could and did the best i could that way. The one A string (with a .022 guitar string) I have on right now is holding so far tuned to standard. I'll try a needle file if it snaps. going to get some replacement AA mandocello strings soon.

Default Re: D'Addario EJ78 AA breaking

Might try your sandpaper wrapped around a toothpick.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Blog Entries

I’ve been using 18s on my Mandoloncello as the 22s from the J78 sets broke on the 26” scale when I tried to get them up to tension.
    I had the luthier who made it have a look at the nut just in case, but he said to use the 18s as that’s what he specs from Newtone for the new ones. I prefer the heavier ones from the J78s on the lower courses though.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by Beanzy View Post
    I’ve been using 18s on my Mandoloncello as the 22s from the J78 sets broke on the 26” scale when I tried to get them up to tension.
    I had the luthier who made it have a look at the nut just in case, but he said to use the 18s as that’s what he specs from Newtone for the new ones. I prefer the heavier ones from the J78s on the lower courses though.
    Have you tried 20s and did they hold up? I'm going to try that next. I'm going to keep the heavier strings on everything but the AA like you for sure. I tried the light set from emando (very helpful site, happy it's there) and they didn't break but the 'cello lost it's growl. I sanded the tuners a bit in hopes that the 22s will hold (d'addario is sending me some free replacements after I asked for their opinion even though it's prob not the strings I guess they pitied me lol.) The one 22 that's on there is still holding though.

Before I got the Eastman I had only ever played and handful of 80+ year old K1/2 Gibsons so I'm still learning the technical side as I go. Never even had/worked on an archtop guitar for reference. Always dreamt of playing a real K5 though but I know that ain't gonna happen.

Don't know whether its available in the US but, if it is, you might try threading a thin strip of Emerycloth through the tuner holes and pulling it back and forth. Emerycloth is likely to stand up to the job better than sandpaper, due to its cloth backing, and it's designed to work on metal rather than sandpaper which is intended for wood.

thanks for the tip, never herd of it before!