Thread: Nylon string advice

Default Nylon string advice

I’m sick of breaking E strings. It’s an experimental instrument 4 string at 355mm string length. What strings are terrific? I’m breaking nylagut classics.

Thx!

Default Re: Nylon string advice

Write to Aquila. They have excellent customer service folks. Maybe they can suggest a gauge tho I would think you might go lighter. Do these strings break in the same place? Do you use a pick? What kind of bridge do you have on this mandolin — is it like a uke bridge or more like a standard Mandolin?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

3. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

I get a lot of guff when I suggest this here, but it was recommended to me by the designer and builder of Risa instruments and it has served me well for years on my Risa Uke, which I have tuned GDAE. The Risa has a 368mm scale length and I use .04mm monofilament nylon fishing line, 20 pound test, for the E string. It sounds great and I have never had an E just break on its own, without me doing something that caused it. Also, you can buy a spool of it that would last you a lifetime for not much money.

5. The following members say thank you to John Flynn for this post:

A number of ukulele makers and players string with fluorocarbon fishing line (not nylon). Fluorocarbon stretches less, and is generally better behaved as a string, plus the sound is a little closer to metal strings. Plenty available in the small sizes via eBay, the heavyweight stuff for lower strings can be harder to find.

7. The following members say thank you to ProfChris for this post:

Have you checked the bridge, nut and tuner for sharp edges or binding spots? It also helps to keep the string from twisting when you install it.

9. The following members say thank you to Nevin for this post:

Like John, I replaced the Aquila e-strings on my nylon stringed Mandolin with fishing line. Not home now to see what I did get. But I just looked for line as close to the size/gauge as the Aquila string, with heaviest pound test rating. Not broken one since.

11. The following members say thank you to Rodney Riley for this post:

Thanks guys,

I have no objections to Flourocarbon strings, I believe Seaguar is the preferred brand. But I do prefer the Nylgut. I like the sound and look of them.

Jim, the instrument is considerably lighter than a standard mandolin, flat top, minimal bracing, bridge is a adapted classical guitar design with a bone saddle. Ive made sure there are no catches. Under an eyeglass the strings have broken from stress, there are no scratches. I havent used a pick yet, like i said they keep breaking. Ive written to Aquila.

Instrument sounds good BTW. It seems to meet the iideas I had.

I actually prefer fluorocarbon strings on my ukuleles. I tried the Aquilas on my 5K and 3K and hated the tone. Even on the modern ones I prefer the fluorocarbon strings. Nothing wrong with fishing line as long as you can find the right gauges.

I have a charango in which the high strings are super thin and I have broken many of those so I did the same -- bought roll of quality fishing line.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

The Flourocarbon hasnt broken and holds tune so all good. Im still waiting for the new Aquila strings as I do prefer their tone. Photos on the WIP thread.

How about just be happy with FCGD?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by John Flynn View Post
    I get a lot of guff when I suggest this here, but it was recommended to me by the designer and builder of Risa instruments and it has served me well for years on my Risa Uke, which I have tuned GDAE. The Risa has a 368mm scale length and I use .04mm monofilament nylon fishing line, 20 pound test, for the E string. It sounds great and I have never had an E just break on its own, without me doing something that caused it. Also, you can buy a spool of it that would last you a lifetime for not much money.
    You probably mean .4mm, not .04mm, which is thinner than a human hair!