Thread: Review of the Morgan Monroe electric mandolin (Mandocaster)

Default Review of the Morgan Monroe electric mandolin (Mandocaster)

Here's a video review I did of the Morgan Monroe 8 string electric mandolin. Lots of playing examples, clean and with a lot of gain!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UFkMJPBzwo&t=190s

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guitarlifter For This Useful Post:

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Default Re: Review of the Morgan Monroe electric mandolin (Mandocaster)

That looks a lot like my Eastwood Mandocaster. I wonder if they're made by the same people.
    I like mine a lot. I used to use it through a small amp in an Irish band, rather than fussing with microphones etc. I tried piezo pickups in my acoustic but it was a pain in the butt to get a decent sound. For playing pubs and the like the Mandocaster gave a pretty decent acoustic sound.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Busman View Post
    That looks a lot like my Eastwood Mandocaster. I wonder if they're made by the same people.
    I like mine a lot. I used to use it through a small amp in an Irish band, rather than fussing with microphones etc. I tried piezo pickups in my acoustic but it was a pain in the butt to get a decent sound. For playing pubs and the like the Mandocaster gave a pretty decent acoustic sound.
    I agree. Clean I liked it with the pickup selector in the middle position.

Thanks for the review guitarlifter. These are really nice little electrics with some setup work needed at first but not too difficult or expensive to carry out. I had to shim the neck pocket to adjust the action down lower and I shielded the pickup cavity to reduce that 60 Hz hum. I plan to replace the stock pickups (not very good) and electronics at some point but haven't gotten to that as yet. These mandolins are marketed under several brand names world wide but all are essentially the same mandolin and are quite affordable on the used market. I use Fender electric mandolin strings and run through a Fender Super Champ X2 amp.

Here's mine:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	81358.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	196.7 KB 
ID:	163801

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL