Thread: Refinished Fender Mando-Strat

Default Refinished Fender Mando-Strat

I bought this almost as soon as I saw it, because the original ad copy didn't mention that it was refinished.

When I found out it was a refinish, I canceled the purchase.

Then I learned it isn't just a refinish, it's a recent Indonesian-built Mando-Strat that's been "relicked" with some old hardware and decals, upgraded with an Almuse pickup and refinished in Sonic Blue.

A cool project, and the new ad copy does admit it's refinished, but the seller could still be a little more up front about what it is. There's no such thing as a "1963 reissue" Mandocaster, since Mandocasters were built consistently from 1956 to 1976.

https://reverb.com/item/8306419-fend...-natural-nitro
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Default Re: Refinished Fender Mando-Strat

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ptaesuqvlvs5hsrmvqah.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	202.8 KB 
ID:	163760

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I wonder how the blue was treated so it looks faded compared to under the pickguard. And the bridge looks oxidized, pretty convincing "relic"ing. Unless it's an actual vintage bridge that isn't mentioned in the copy. But why would someone take parts off a real vintage instrument to put on this one? Even if the body was in bad shape, a refinished/repaired body with the original hardware would still be worth more than this I would think.
    Last edited by jefflester; Jan-05-2018 at 9:42pm.

I've seen a vintage Mandocaster or two parted out on eBay ... some cannibals believe that profit-wise, the sum of the parts is more than the whole. Sadly, they might not be wrong.

Also, the effect of issuing the Mando-Strat was to send the price of vintage Mandocasters into the toilet. And now that the Mando-Strats are done, people are asking as much as $600 for them, without all the relicking and refinishing.

I like it. Love the sonic blue. Wonder if anyone has refinished one in Antigua?