Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39

Thread: Article: Masters of the Mandolin: 130 of the Greatest Bluegrass and Newgrass Solos

  1. #1
    Administrator Mandolin Cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Posts
    1,298
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Article: Masters of the Mandolin: 130 of the Greatest Bluegrass a


  2. #2
    Administrator Mandolin Cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Posts
    1,298
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Article: Masters of the Mandolin: 130 of the Greatest Bluegra

    FYI -

    Elderly told us they thought this would be available for delivery in 2-3 weeks.

  3. #3
    Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Summit County Colorado
    Posts
    913

    Default

    Cool!

    Hopefully the readability is better than mel bay's anthology of mandolin solos - some of these pages are disappointingly challenging to read.

  4. #4

    Default

    Is this an update of the David Peters book? The name is the same and many of the songs are the same.

  5. #5
    Administrator Mandolin Cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Posts
    1,298
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    Certainly appears to be the inspiration with an unusual number of overlaps. We're just the messenger, not the publisher. The ultimate proof will be in the transcriptions.

    99% sure Dave's book was never copyrighted so this would be legal fair game. I'm not a publisher of books but I'd think if it was the template there should at least be an acknowledgement but if it's there I'd be surprised. This would certainly not be the only case where this has happened. I know first-hand one of the best known mandolin books almost everyone would recognize and has at least heard that's been around for decades was not authored by the person whose name is on the cover. Plain case of hijacking.

    I'll let the author tell that story if they wish. Doubt they will.

    There were also a number of artists that were not happy about their solos appearing in Dave's book.
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Jan-04-2018 at 2:11pm.

  6. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:


  7. #6

    Default Re: Article: Masters of the Mandolin: 130 of the Greatest Bluegra

    That's exactly why I was wondering. The tune list looks strikingly similar and includes enough odd selections (such as "Funk 55") to make you wonder. I do own Dave's book but I know there were issues with it going in and out of print.

  8. #7
    Registered User mandobassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Delran, NJ
    Posts
    2,840

    Default

    I don't understand how they can get away with this. The song list is nearly identical to Dave Peters' book and even the book title is the same. What the heck!!!

    It would be one thing if there was some credit given to Peters' work on this, but nothing that I can see.

  9. #8
    Registered User mandobassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Delran, NJ
    Posts
    2,840

    Default

    Elderly sold Dave Petersí version of this book. Hard to imagine them selling a book that was not copyrighted. Even if not, itís a low blow by Elderly to Miss Sunnie, who put years of work into continuing the Masters of the Mandolin Foundation to keep his book published. Iím very disappointed in Elderly.

  10. #9
    Administrator Mandolin Cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Posts
    1,298
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Article: Masters of the Mandolin: 130 of the Greatest Bluegra

    Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    Elderly sold Dave Peters’ version of this book. Hard to imagine them selling a book that was not copyrighted. Even if not, it’s a low blow by Elderly to Miss Sunnie, who put years of work into continuing the Masters of the Mandolin Foundation to keep his book published. I’m very disappointed in Elderly.
    Sunnie has a standing agreement with Elderly and the book is sold by them with her permission. She is their supplier.

  11. #10
    Administrator Mandolin Cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Posts
    1,298
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Article: Masters of the Mandolin: 130 of the Greatest Bluegra

    Case in point, posted by Sunnie in 2010 on this forum.

  12. #11

    Default Re: Article: Masters of the Mandolin: 130 of the Greatest Bluegra

    Quote Originally Posted by lonestar_shawn View Post
    That's exactly why I was wondering. The tune list looks strikingly similar and includes enough odd selections (such as "Funk 55") to make you wonder. I do own Dave's book but I know there were issues with it going in and out of print.
    I'm the "author" of this book, though all I did was double-check David Peters' work and add some tunes by important mandolin players he left out (like Jesse McReynolds and Roland White). The publisher (Hal Leonard)who asked me to do this book also gave the composers and copyright holders of the tunes credit that was due, as David bootlegged the book and nobody got their due compensation.

    I did not know that someone was still selling it, and had no intention of ripping anyone off. If they are selling it, it's also a bootleg, as none of the composers or copyright holders are compensated.

    I insisted on starting the book with an intro giving Peters credit, here's how it starts:

    In the 1990s, an award-winning mandolin player, David Peters, published a book called
    Masters of the Mandolin, which contained transcriptions of his favorite mandolin solos
    by the premiere mandolinists of his time (and a few who were before his time). Most of
    the great bluegrass players were represented, as well as a few jazz and several newgrass artists. His transcriptions came from album recordings, both popular and obscure, but also from his own tapes of live performances.

    Then the intro explains the changes and improvements that were made. I wanted to dedicate the book to Peters, but the publisher nixed that. I hope that the book will be more widespread and be of use to more mandolin players, now that it's legal and is being handled by a major publisher. I was afraid somebody would be offended and think Peters or whoever is continuing to publish his book is getting ripped off, but that was far from my intention.

  13. #12

    Default Re: Article: Masters of the Mandolin: 130 of the Greatest Bluegra

    "I'll let the author tell that story if they wish. Doubt they will.

    There were also a number of artists that were not happy about their solos appearing in Dave's book."

    I tell the story (in another post). BTW we took out the solos by artists who did not want to be in the book.

  14. #13
    Administrator Mandolin Cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Posts
    1,298
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Article: Masters of the Mandolin: 130 of the Greatest Bluegra

    Quote Originally Posted by sokolowmus View Post
    "I'll let the author tell that story if they wish. Doubt they will.

    There were also a number of artists that were not happy about their solos appearing in Dave's book."

    I tell the story (in another post). BTW we took out the solos by artists who did not want to be in the book.
    Fred, thanks for weighing in. The quote "I'll let the author tell that story if they wish" I made is in reference to a different book, not this one. Has to do with a story from another era even, a book that was a draft was shared with another musician (both still active and performing) and years later authored under the borrower's name. Oops. Both those folks have posted on this forum in the past but don't think that story will get told.

    I'm glad to know the story of the book and thank you for weighing in. Dave was an acquaintance and the book was really a project that he ultimately used to help offset his Bohemian, musician's lifestyle. The fact it existed all these years was that it was sought after by serious musicians and was getting bootlegged one way or the other by demand, though likely a lot less in the past few years. Everything you say about the book in the posts above I agree is true.

    The book has never been consistently available so I think this is a suitable end to that problem. I suspect some may disagree but as someone that's been involved in this for a long time I think it's ultimately for the best in the long run.

  15. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:


  16. #14

    Default Re: Article: Masters of the Mandolin: 130 of the Greatest Bluegra

    Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Fred, thanks for weighing in. The quote "I'll let the author tell that story if they wish" I made is in reference to a different book, not this one. Has to do with a story from another era even, a book that was a draft was shared with another musician (both still active and performing) and years later authored under the borrower's name. Oops. Both those folks have posted on this forum in the past but don't think that story will get told.

    I'm glad to know the story of the book and thank you for weighing in. Dave was an acquaintance and the book was really a project that he ultimately used to help offset his Bohemian, musician's lifestyle. The fact it existed all these years was that it was sought after by serious musicians and was getting bootlegged one way or the other by demand, though likely a lot less in the past few years. Everything you say about the book in the posts above I agree is true.

    The book has never been consistently available so I think this is a suitable end to that problem. I suspect some may disagree but as someone that's been involved in this for a long time I think it's ultimately for the best in the long run.
    Thanks! The last thing I want to do is alienate the mandolin community...I'm hoping this is a positive thing for people who liked th original book.

  17. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    11,877

    Default

    I'm hoping this is a positive thing for people who liked th original book.

    I'm sure it will be. Thanks for doing this.

  18. #16
    Registered User miss sunnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dave Peters Foundation
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Thanks, Mandolin Cafť, for bringing this to my attention. I am surprised by this project, but there's really nothing much to say at this point. Thank you, Fred, for mentioning Dave in your introduction to the book. It will lose the handwriting of Dave Peters, yet it will be consistently published now and that is a plus and it is a more affordable price which I could not accomplish in small batch publishing and comb binding. Thank you to the mandolin community for supporting this book for many years. Sincerely, Miss sunnie Valentine

  19. The following members say thank you to miss sunnie for this post:


  20. #17

    Default Re: Article: Masters of the Mandolin: 130 of the Greatest Bluegra

    Quote Originally Posted by miss sunnie View Post
    Thanks, Mandolin Cafť, for bringing this to my attention. I am surprised by this project, but there's really nothing much to say at this point. Thank you, Fred, for mentioning Dave in your introduction to the book. It will lose the handwriting of Dave Peters, yet it will be consistently published now and that is a plus and it is a more affordable price which I could not accomplish in small batch publishing and comb binding. Thank you to the mandolin community for supporting this book for many years. Sincerely, Miss sunnie Valentine
    Sunnie, thank you, that's very gracious of you! And thank you for keeping the book alive all these years!

    Fred Sokolow

  21. The following members say thank you to sokolowmus for this post:


  22. #18

    Default Re: Article: Masters of the Mandolin: 130 of the Greatest Bluegra

    Extremely classy response Ms. Sunnie.

    I tried to order this from Elderly a year or so ago when rumor had it that it was coming back into print, and after about 3-6 months of waiting they canceled my backorder.

    If the goal is to honor Dave through sharing the music, you've done an admirable job over the years and you're doing a great job by responding to something that could feel very personal with class and tact.

    I don't know how to respond to a company like Hal Leonard taking over a work like this, without contacting Ms. Sunnie. But if the artists are getting paid, the original creator is being recognized, I'm less concerned.

  23. #19
    Registered User miss sunnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dave Peters Foundation
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Thank you for your kind words, KEB. I agree that if "the artists are getting paid, the original creator is being recognized, I'm less concerned". I am just glad that many years ago I was able to do what I could to keep this project from extinction and carry it for as long as I did. I did the best I could with the resources that I had. The last 20 months have been difficult as I lost both my parents within 27 days of each other, and this book was not as much my priority as it should have been. I did recently submit a print order that I have now been able to cancel. Thank you, again. Sincerely, sunnie

  24. #20

    Default

    So bummed it's tablature only =/

  25. The following members say thank you to Macabre for this post:


  26. #21
    Registered User miss sunnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dave Peters Foundation
    Posts
    70

    Default Re: Article: Masters of the Mandolin: 130 of the Greatest Bluegra

    Quote Originally Posted by sokolowmus View Post
    Sunnie, thank you, that's very gracious of you! And thank you for keeping the book alive all these years!

    Fred Sokolow
    You are welcome. I appreciate your dedication to Dave's work and the original book, thank you. Sincerely, miss sunnie
    miss sunnie

  27. The following members say thank you to miss sunnie for this post:

    bennyb 

  28. #22
    Registered User mandobassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Delran, NJ
    Posts
    2,840

    Default Re: Article: Masters of the Mandolin: 130 of the Greatest Bluegra

    Quote Originally Posted by sokolowmus View Post
    I'm the "author" of this book, though all I did was double-check David Peters' work and add some tunes by important mandolin players he left out (like Jesse McReynolds and Roland White). The publisher (Hal Leonard)who asked me to do this book also gave the composers and copyright holders of the tunes credit that was due, as David bootlegged the book and nobody got their due compensation.

    I did not know that someone was still selling it, and had no intention of ripping anyone off. If they are selling it, it's also a bootleg, as none of the composers or copyright holders are compensated.

    I insisted on starting the book with an intro giving Peters credit, here's how it starts:

    In the 1990s, an award-winning mandolin player, David Peters, published a book called
    Masters of the Mandolin, which contained transcriptions of his favorite mandolin solos
    by the premiere mandolinists of his time (and a few who were before his time). Most of
    the great bluegrass players were represented, as well as a few jazz and several newgrass artists. His transcriptions came from album recordings, both popular and obscure, but also from his own tapes of live performances.

    Then the intro explains the changes and improvements that were made. I wanted to dedicate the book to Peters, but the publisher nixed that. I hope that the book will be more widespread and be of use to more mandolin players, now that it's legal and is being handled by a major publisher. I was afraid somebody would be offended and think Peters or whoever is continuing to publish his book is getting ripped off, but that was far from my intention.
    Thank you. Knowing the whole story makes me feel better. I appreciate you coming on here and giving us this info.
    Larry Hunsberger

    2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

  29. #23
    Registered User mandobassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Delran, NJ
    Posts
    2,840

    Default Re: Article: Masters of the Mandolin: 130 of the Greatest Bluegra

    Quote Originally Posted by miss sunnie View Post
    Thank you for your kind words, KEB. I agree that if "the artists are getting paid, the original creator is being recognized, I'm less concerned". I am just glad that many years ago I was able to do what I could to keep this project from extinction and carry it for as long as I did. I did the best I could with the resources that I had. The last 20 months have been difficult as I lost both my parents within 27 days of each other, and this book was not as much my priority as it should have been. I did recently submit a print order that I have now been able to cancel. Thank you, again. Sincerely, sunnie
    Hi Sunnie, itís been many years since I last saw you in Houston. Sorry to hear about your parents. Hope you are doing well now. I want you to know how much I appreciate all that youíve done to keeps Daveís legacy alive. He was a amazing musician who I was fortunate to know and play with. Thank you for your hard work.
    Larry Hunsberger

    2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

  30. #24
    Registered User miss sunnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dave Peters Foundation
    Posts
    70

    Default Re: Article: Masters of the Mandolin: 130 of the Greatest Bluegra

    Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    Thank you. Knowing the whole story makes me feel better. I appreciate you coming on here and giving us this info.
    I wholeheartedly agree.
    miss sunnie

  31. #25
    Registered User miss sunnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dave Peters Foundation
    Posts
    70

    Default Re: Article: Masters of the Mandolin: 130 of the Greatest Bluegra

    Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    Hi Sunnie, itís been many years since I last saw you in Houston. Sorry to hear about your parents. Hope you are doing well now. I want you to know how much I appreciate all that youíve done to keeps Daveís legacy alive. He was a amazing musician who I was fortunate to know and play with. Thank you for your hard work.
    Thanks for your kind words and thoughts. I appreciate both.
    miss sunnie

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •