Thread: Tremolo on E Strings

Default Tremolo on E Strings

My tremolo is acceptable on G, D and A strings but not so much on E course strings . At least not to my ear ! Any suggestions from those who have experienced the same and finally conquered the E string tremolo ?

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Default Re: Tremolo on E Strings

I've never had more trouble with E string tremolo. In fact, G string was harder for me.
    My best advice: Just keep the pick tip close to the strings, no wide picking strokes. Even practice tremolo without letting the pick tip leave contact with a string.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Philphool is correct ... avoid wasted motion. I would add that the angle the pick strikes is equally important. Make sure that you are not changing the "angle of attack" as you move across the strings. You may be striking the E string at a flatter pick angle. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

+1 on the advise given by both of the above.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Yep, good advice from Phil and R/ above.

If you are comfortable with tremolo on the A strings try moving the tremolo from the A to the E string from an A/E strings double stop. Make a comfy double stop like xx23 or xx57 and trem both strings, then just the A, then both, then move to just the E, then both again. Good Luck!

I'll mirror what UsuallyPickin said. When I have trouble with E-string tremolo, it's usually because my pick angle changes when I'm on the E-string. And I suspect most people have a similar issue whether they realize it or not. We naturally have to attack the D and A strings pretty parallel to the face of the mandolin because they're in the middle. But at the E string, we can tend to curl over the edge, or pick more toward the face of the instrument than across it, if that makes any sense, because there are no other strings out there to interfere with that movement. We can also tend to exaggerate the pick stroke instead of keeping it tight. This can lead to tremolo issues as well as regular picking speed/accuracy issues.

Usually if I'm having tremolo issues on the E string, I have to remind myself to approach those pick strokes the same as I do on the middle courses, and suddenly things improve.
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!