Thread: Another Pick Thread

Default Another Pick Thread

Is anyone using the little teardrop shaped picks anymore? I bought some Dunlop Prime Tone Sculpted 1.5 picks to try. I drilled some holes in one to see if it would be easier to hold without it turning. Still hard to hold. I found a bunch of different guitar picks I had and found a GraphTech Tusq 1.4 in the bunch. It is a small teardrop and seems to be easier to hold in one position. Still a newb so maybe with practice I'll adapt to the prime Tones.

Registered User misterstormalong's Avatar

Default Re: Another Pick Thread

I've been through a lot of picks in the last year or so. I'm currently using a Prime Tone 1.3 but it's a rounded triangle rather than a tear drop shape. It has a grip pattern on both sides. I've never dropped a pick while playing but I did have one that slipped around.

I used to use thicker plectrums like the Golden Gate but when I started playing melody I found I needed something harder and this Prime Tone suits my playing for chopping and picking, at least at the moment.
    Hora Concert Irish Bouzouki
    Eastman MD504 Mandolin
    Crane Duet Concertina
    Gretsch Jim Dandy parlour guitar
    Gold Tone AC-4 Tenor Banjo
    http://justanechoonthewind.blogspot.com/

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Practice more. You'll get there! Try loosening your grip and relaxing (also, play quiet-easy). It sounds sounds backwards but it will help.

All shapes and sizes of picks used to spin in my hand when I was new. But after a while (lots of practice) playing became easier and picking more effortlessly. When this happens you'll find it easier to relax and loosen your grip.

4. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

I prefer a little tear-drop pick -- but I play melody, so there's that. I have found that blue chip picks (yes, i know!) don't slip in your grip. I own a little tear-drop shaped blue chip jazz pick, sort of a best of both worlds for me. Use whatever pick you like and gives you the sound you want. seriously. your pick choice is yours alone.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Blog Entries

I use the Pick Boy tear-drop heart shaped picks. 0.75 mm I believe. For classical music. They really bring out the brilliance and scintillation that the mandolin is capable of.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

May as well get it over with and buy a Blue Chip. Like it or not, you will want to know. Buy a few mid priced picks like Wegens too, along with a variety of others. One is bound to feel and sound right to you.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Blog Entries

A person can spend their lifetime trying picks and still never know if they have what they want. I'd suggest learning to pull tone from the mandolin using whatever pick you have first. Once you learn how to pull tone, you will know what to expect so you can can pull tone with any pick. At that point, it's just a matter of seeing which pick does that most easily for you.

Personally, I use a Fender heavy, but that's just me. I've tried BC and a number of others, and keep going back to the Fender Heavy because that's what my hand is comfortable with. And although at first I used them because they are cheap and easy to replace, it's not the cost or convenience anymore. I like how the Fender Heavy subtly molds to the shape of my fingers over time. (Ironically, I'd easily pay the cost of a BC for a Fender Heavy that is already molded to my fingers.)

We are all different (and possibly a little obsessed ).
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

9. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

I got so used to the larger triangle shaped picks when I began mando that I now use them for guitar as well, but the teardrop 351 shape was my one and only for many, many years. Another cafe member offered up some of these little beauties (2mm thick) on the classifieds a while ago and I really liked the tone from them but the small size was not a great match for my grip. If the OP is interested in trying one out, PM me and I’ll mail one out to you gratis.
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

The Fender trushell picks are pretty good. And reasonably cheap. You can get one of each weight, medium, heavy and extra heavy for less than 1 BC. I have both, depends on the day what feels and/or sounds best.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

12. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

Good day all! This is my first post here. I received a Kentucky KM505 Artist for Christmas and have been using my Thalia 1.4 wood pick that I use with my acoustics. I find the combination gives me great tone. Love my new instrument!

I use teardrop shaped picks on my bowlbacks and sometimes on my other mandolins. I prefer o.6-0.8 thickness picks, both for mandolin and guitar. I use Blue Chips on my mandolins most of the time. I have some other picks (I like to try picks) I use at times.

15. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

Wegen 2.00. Used them for about 12 years now and never found anything better. Tone and Volume.They initially did 1.00 and 1.4 for mandolin but they also do a 2.00 and I very much prefer those. I've tried others but they are the best tone and they never slip with me although I've always held a pick with three fingers.

I was very fond of the Prime Tones, those large triangular ones that come to points on all sides. I still like them a great deal but have been enthralled by the technique of the German mandolin players and have taken to mellower, lower tension strings and softer picks. In that vein, I have become exceedingly fond of the Dava Grip Tips with delrin tips. They are very similar to the famous German Wolle picks, a pick just soft enough to give warm tone without pick noise. The Dava have a similar character for about 1/8th the cost.

For the first 15 years of playing mandolin, I just used slightly thicker, .88mm Dunlop Tortex picks, the same ones I used for my acoustic guitars. They worked for a mostly cross picking style I used with my oval with lighter strings. When I moved to an F with heaver strings, and started to play some bluegrass stuff, I ended up trying a Blue Chip, after reading so much about them.

I didn't know what to buy, but ended up buying a teardrop in the lightest gauge they had. One thing I liked so much about the pick, is that it sticks to my fingers. I NEVER drop one when playing, and never have to readjust my grip like I used to.

I've eventually moved to the CT 55, but interesting enough, I no longer like the teardrop shape for acoustic guitar. I now buy the Dunlop Ultex in a triangle shape at .88mm, much thicker than the old .50mm picks I used to play with.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the Blue Chips have altered my picking style, and therefore the picks I use.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

I thought I was the only one that has problems holding on to picks. I've tried drilling holes. Tried one big hole. Thumb picks are terrible to try to pick anything. But what works the best for me is crushed fiddle rosin. Mash it up into powder. Take a knife and score the pick real good. Place a pile on the pick. Heat it with a cig lighter held upside down. When the rosin melts and starts to bubble mash it flat with your thumb. It should stick on there real good. When it starts to get slick again just scratch the rosin with your thumbnail and it gets sticky again. It really fixed my problem. I carry a small medicine bottle with powdered rosin in my case. I hope it helps you too

Bill Monroe had it - ''Lick 'n pick''. I used the 'Monster Grips' stick on pads for a while & they do work very well - until your fingers get a tad greasy,then they're just like anything else. Keeping your fingers free from skin oil is important ,& i wipe my finger tips & pick with a 'facial wipe',the sort of thing that airlines hand out. I find that i play longer without the pick starting to slip,when it does,i wipe my fingers again - cheap & easy !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.