Thread: Tyler White #9

Registered User Steve VandeWater's Avatar

Default Tyler White #9

First off, thanks to everyone who gave me input into what A style, f-hole mandolin to buy. The replies were greatly appreciated and I was all set to pull the trigger on a Collings MT. The consensus was that I couldn't go wrong with one, even when purchasing from afar. (I couldn't find any nearby to play).
    Then I read a few threads about Tyler White of Pinehouse Guitars in Bloomington, IN. Even though he's a new builder, the reviews here on the Cafe were great and his instruments are stunning to look at. Since he's only about an hour and a half away, I went to see him.
    He had a couple in the process of building, and one very nearly complete. They were very nice and sounded great! When I asked him if he only built to order or if he had one sitting somewhere for sale, he showed me the one he's been playing, his #9. Apparently, someone had backed out of a purchase, so it was for sale. He let me take it home to test drive it. I left him another mandolin to thin the neck on, and my concrete mandolin so he could show some folks as a curiosity. Tyler is a very nice young man, very personable, and was in no rush to get me out the door. I thoroughly enjoyed the visit.
    Needless to say, I love my new White mandolin and hope it is "The One" to cure my runaway MAS. I'll show it off at a jam in town this Friday. Here are a few pics of it in its new home.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	white1.JPG 
Views:	304 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	163659

Name:	white2.JPG 
Views:	287 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	163660

Name:	white4.JPG 
Views:	297 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	163661

Name:	white5.JPG 
Views:	341 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	163662

Name:	white6.JPG 
Views:	274 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	163663
    It ain't gotta be perfect, as long as it's perfect enough!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steve VandeWater For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Tyler White #9

Congratulations! I hope you enjoy #9 as much as I have and still do enjoy #6!

4. The following members say thank you to Trey Young for this post:

Blog Entries

Congratulations!! Really nice
    NMD is always great but it's even better maybe when you know who made it

6. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Beautiful mandolin. I really like the subtle burst. Classy. Hope you enjoy it!

8. The following members say thank you to Chuck Leyda for this post:

Nice axe Steve. Should be a keeper. But I'm curious what the history is on the beautiful hand-hewn log wall in the background.

10. The following members say thank you to Steve-o for this post:

Blog Entries

Steve that's a very nice looking mandolin you have there! Couple of questions? How much low end do they have in them? Is it what would be considered a really good bluegrass mandolin, woody sounding? Also (and you might possibly not want to divulge this info) but could you give us some idea on the price point maybe roughly what these mandolins run?

12. The following members say thank you to Stephen Cagle for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
    Nice axe Steve. Should be a keeper. But I'm curious what the history is on the beautiful hand-hewn log wall in the background.
    HaHa, Thanks!
    I decided to make the room resemble a log cabin when I could not remove wallpaper without the drywall coming off in chunks. I simply bought some 1 x 8's (or 10's, can't recall now) and distressed them with a chain, knife, grinder, hand mattock, etc. Then I nailed them right over the drywall and wallpaper using finish nails into the wall studs. I then stained them, and finally I mixed drywall mud up with a little pigment and spread that on between the boards to resemble chinking. It came out pretty well, and now it's my "music room". It gets a lot of comments.

14. The following members say thank you to Steve VandeWater for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cagle View Post
    Steve that's a very nice looking mandolin you have there! Couple of questions? How much low end do they have in them? Is it what would be considered a really good bluegrass mandolin, woody sounding? Also (and you might possibly not want to divulge this info) but could you give us some idea on the price point maybe roughly what these mandolins run?
    I'm not good or fast enough to be a Bluegrass player, but I believe that the low end is there. #9 has a red spruce top which is a little darker sounding than Tyler's Englemann ones. Look on YouTube for videos/sound clips of some of his other builds and judge for yourself.
    His mandolins are listed on his website for around $3,400. I got mine a little cheaper simply because it was "used" by Tyler for a few months after the original would-be purchaser balked on it. Also, it has a traditional stamped tailpiece instead of the James ones he's used on other builds. It is a really nice mandolin, and in my opinion would be well worth $3,400.

Nice work on the fake logs. Maybe you have a future distressing instruments.

Congrats on the White F5. I've been impressed with the videos and pictures of his instruments.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

17. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

Congrats on a very nice mandolin. I have been impressed with the mandolin videos on the White mandolin. From what I can see and hear from the videos he is building some super mandolins. Happy picking.

Adam

19. The following members say thank you to addamr for this post:

That looks like a lot of mandolin for the money. Enjoy!
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

21. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post: