Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DPA 4099v with a volume boost/mute for live show

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Default Re: DPA 4099v with a volume boost/mute for live show

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    Charlie,

There is very little in it. The only thing that I can really find that changed was the casing. From light aluminium to light brass to a heavier brass on the more recent ones. I have some of each type, and sound-wise, they're very similar indeed. They also changed the paintwork... some are semi matt, some highly matt - but again, the performance appears identical.
    They are a steal at either price, frankly....
    Excellent, thanks. Through the years, it's funny how this type of mic has taken over my choices. I've even played with them on vocals and once the singer gets used to the spacing, they're great. As you know, I've been using the Avantones, but aren't wedded to them. When a well-oiled and experienced band (like Mr Sun) gets in front of them, the show sounds just great, clear as a bell. I'll grab a couple and start playing.

2. The following members say thank you to Charlieshafer for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    Just a thought... but one method that can work well is to use your clip-on for 'regular' volume (as others have suggested above) and to use a good stand-mount mic for breaks (as also suggested) but... gate the stand mic quite hard. Fast attack, slow release with a pretty high threshold. Using hypercardiod condensers in this role, you can get good working distances provided you are really careful with any on-stage monitors (or especially with IEM's). Using a 'hard' gate and highly directional mic you will get very little unwanted bleed, and the impact on overall system gain before feedback will be minimal.
    This is a great idea for using the secondary mic on a stand for the solo boosts. I'll add that to my bag of tricks.

I think I'll try the Zoom a3, too. That does look like the one box solution I'm searching for. It's mostly for my banjo player, who needs to mute and tune.

I'm very grateful to the wealth of knowledge from all of you and your willingness to share your thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by dang View Post
    Cool thread, anyone have experience with the “little sister” of the Felix, the AliX?

http://www.gracedesign.com/products/alix/alix.htm
    Not direct experience, but a band mate had one and loved it. A very high quality on-board EQ and the switching was noiseless. I wish they made this with an XLR + phantom power, I'd have one if they did. Frankly, if the Felix had two XLR + phantom, I'd already own it!

5. The following members say thank you to Mark Seale for this post:

dang 

Quote Originally Posted by Charlieshafer View Post
    Looking on ebay I see some old at 59 bucks, and lots of new at around $140. Are you talking about the new ones or the old? Love to try a couple, just want to make sure I'm getting the same thing!
    Or for a little more you can get the Audio Technica Pro 37, Japanese engineering and production- a great SD condenser, natural sound, good range.

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Roy View Post
    Or for a little more you can get the Audio Technica Pro 37, Japanese engineering and production- a great SD condenser, natural sound, good range.
    Hey Rob, I already have about 50 mics, and I'm good on AT's! Just wanted to try something under-the-radar from Algeria's recommendation, Thanks though!

FWIW if your mixer is close by it may have an insert on the channel strip to run a tuner and boost with the DPA plugged into the channel’s input.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Roy View Post
    The AT PRO 37 is an utterly, totally different mic than the very unusual PVM 480.

The 480 is much closer to a Neumann KM-185 in off-axis rejection and pickup pattern.

As such, it has particular properties that make it very useful where any of the 'regular' cardioid SD condensers are unsuitable.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Blog Entries

To add... the AT PRO37 is nice mic.... I do have one. Also the ATM-350 and PRO-35 clipons, the PRO 70 lav, and the excellent AE5100 instrument mic + AE5400 vocal condensers. I am a big fan of AT mics!
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Hi Gang,

I ended up ordering a Zoom A3 from ebay. It should arrive in about 10 days. I'll report back after I run it through its paces. Thanks for all the great advice!

12. The following members say thank you to Eric Charles for this post:

Howdy all,

I used the Zoom A3 at a recent gig and it performed perfectly. Thanks to all of you here for the help and great advice!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Charles For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Good to hear the feedback. If anyone is thinking of getting one you’d need to act soonish as Zoom have discontinued these to replace them with the (less useful) AC3. Lacking the mic input & phanthom power options. Still plenty available, but obviously not for very long.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin