Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How am I different from all the other mandolinists? (rumination)

Default Re: How am I different from all the other mandolinists? (ruminati

Thanks for the replies to my somewhat vague OP, folks. Many useful ideas in this thread, from both the "spiritual quest" and the "career tactics" angles.

2. The following members say thank you to Tate Ferguson for this post:

Hey,

Good to hear back from you... Hopefully at least a little of our essay length responses will give you some ideas.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

I've never been at music as a business - I always sought non-moneyhandling roles in bands, and when I go solo I refined it over the past years to gratis service as i disdain talking business. Taking this approach has really helped me as parenthood precluded more formal/professional playing, hauling gear, playing for audiences, etc, and necessitated finding a different path that still placed me in community. In turn it provided many rewards including both aspects of your OP, TEF.

I took an approach more like Motoshi... and found both my path to inner fulfillment - insofar as playing and experiencing the music I love, which i find most vital - and feeling that more people are hearing/listening more my personal projections and expressions.

What I miss is playing in bands, playing bass, etc but pretty much all of my experiences with that have involved many aspects of given conformities. I'm now better able to assuage and express my "individuality" through other forms, and it has also the dimension of many aspects of relationship, quest, development, etc. *In fact now that I think - that's largely why I pursued solo idiom.
    Last edited by catmandu2; Jan-03-2018 at 2:04pm.

I reckon you can accomplish as much in ensemble, with its own set of both hinderences and rewards. Solo you can more easily craft your environment/audience, practice/presentation, of course repertoire, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    The best musicians to me aren’t necessarily the virtuosi — we all can’t be Marshall or Thile — on their instruments but those who can communicate the joy they feel playing the music they love. Don’t worry about being unique. Just get out there and play and make friends/connect with lots of other musicians.
    I couldn't agree more strongly. I'd rather play like Blake Mills than Steve Vai; except mandolin.

knows little

I'll propose a few different classes of musicians.

* Duffers: A guitar, mando, banjo, 'uke, dulcimer, autoharp or whatever is in the house and is played every now and then for no purpose other than to meditate. And bother the pets and kids.

* Players: Some interest is shown in the instrument. The player tries for some mastery, but harbors no illusions as to their commercial viability. They play mostly for self satisfaction.

* Performers: They really do try to put on an actual show. Their goal is to entertain others, not only themselves. They probably have a play list taped to their axe.

* Professionals: They make a living at it. It's a job. It's work. Fun and rewarding work, yes, but work. A business, and not an easy one to survive in. Running a fast-food franchise pays better.

I see similarities in amateur expressive arts: music, dance, writing, photography, painting, etc. We do these things because we MUST - the voices in our heads demand it. A life without my art is no life at all. You'll need to wrest my cheap mandola from my cold, dead hands.

8. The following members say thank you to Hypoxia for this post:

I'm a player with a duffer's ability to bother pets and spouse

Oops
    Last edited by catmandu2; Jan-03-2018 at 11:33pm.

If you want a bunch more paid performances, in most areas that requires the ability to draw a crowd to a liquor selling establishment and keep them there buying liquor. If its the attention from being onstage that you seek, then attend every open mic/jam night within what you consider a reasonable radius. If all my evenings were free (and I wanted to do so) I could play at such events 9 times each week.

My motivation is a little different. I have a passion for lesser known songwriters/genre and mandolin-family instruments. I want to share both with others. Some are not interested. Sometimes it's pure magic when a kindred soul hears Hawaiian slack key on a 10 string mandocello, gypsy jazz on a 10 string mandola, Scottish whaling tune on a 10 string hardingfele or a Joe Pug song on an OM. I love to play bluegrass as well, but I don't think I do it markedly different than anyone else. I would rather really connect with a few people with my obscure choices of music than play covers to a packed house.

12. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post: