Thread: Vega Cylinder Backs

Default Vega Cylinder Backs

For some reason I have been noticing a bunch of Vega Cylinder Back mandolins lately. I don’t really have any experience with them. I do think they are interesting though. What are others thoughts on them. I have seen a bunch of plainer ones all the way up to this super fancy one https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F282770758846.

Phil

Default Re: Vega Cylinder Backs

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/119286#119286
    Yep, one here in the classifieds now too.

I have 4 of them...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0014.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	439.7 KB 
ID:	163631   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0013.jpg 
Views:	466 
Size:	647.9 KB 
ID:	163632  

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dacraw54 For This Useful Post:

Teacher, repair person

Really good mandolins, often with a big, fat voice. Nothing else sounds quite like them.

Will NOT handle any more than a medium light set of strings [10, 14, 24, 38]. As a result of being overstrung, many of the surviving cylinder-backs have sunken tops, so be gentle with them.

If you end up with one, have a luthier check it over for loose braces.

6. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

They are quite nice, a special design, obviously not one anyone copied!

Attached are photos of a set including a mandolin, tenor mandola, tenor guitar, mandocello and guitar. If I had to generalize, I would say they have the sweetness of a bowlback but without being tubby sounding and are typically warm, responsive and fairly loud with excellent balance across the strings. Like all Vega instruments from this period, the craftsmanship is exceptional. I have never played one of the ten string (five course) examples, but there seems to be a few around and folks speak highly of them as well. I would love to find one of their ten string mandocello/octave mandolin hybrids since to my knowledge, they didn't make a regular eight string octave.

I posted a video playing the cylinder back mandocello...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXM1t8Ds9cI

www.vintagefrettedinstruments.com

Name:	Img8968c.jpg 
Views:	421 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	163635   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Img8989h.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	163636  

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gweetarpicker For This Useful Post:

My Vega CB Tenor...

Name:	DSC_0001.JPG 
Views:	168 
Size:	189.5 KB 
ID:	163648   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0002.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	207.2 KB 
ID:	163649  

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dacraw54 For This Useful Post:

I used to have very similar to the one second from left in Dacraws collection. I sold it many years ago to Elderly while raising money for another mandolin. I bought it from Tony Marcus, then of the Cheap Suit Serenaders. The Vega had a beautiful sound.
    Mitch Lawyer

Collings MF5V, Schwab #101 5 string
    1918 Gibson A, 1937 Gibson T-50 tenor guitar
    Jones OM, Hums bowlback

Quote Originally Posted by gweetarpicker View Post
    Attached are photos of a set including a mandolin, tenor mandola, tenor guitar, mandocello and guitar. If I had to generalize, I would say they have the sweetness of a bowlback but without being tubby sounding and are typically warm, responsive and fairly loud with excellent balance across the strings. Like all Vega instruments from this period, the craftsmanship is exceptional. I have never played one of the ten string (five course) examples, but there seems to be a few around and folks speak highly of them as well. I would love to find one of their ten string mandocello/octave mandolin hybrids since to my knowledge, they didn't make a regular eight string octave.
    Nice set of Vegas, Matthew!

I don't know if I would ever describe a bowlback as sounding tubby but I do like the cylinder backs. I just de-accessed my cylinderback guitar recently but it found a very good home. Mine was one of the maple-backed roundhole ones. Very nice instrument.

My first non-bowl mandolin was a cylinderback model 202. It was a wonderful instrument but I had to sell it to a friend (who still has it) in order to buy my first Gibson and hear myself in a string band back in the late 1970s.

I did own a 10 string one but it was the shorter scale vs. the longer mandola scale one. That one never sounded right to me on the low C string. I almost sold it to Tiny Moore but he probably felt the same.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Hi Jim...I suppose "tubby" might not be not the best term as I was just trying to describe broadly the tonal difference between a bowl back and a cylinder back. I'd say the bowl backs tend to have a bright poppy sound with good balance in their range but the large body gives them a subtle rounded bass. The cylinders have that bright poppy sound, but the midrange seems more pronounced, more like a flat back mandolin or even a carved mandolin. It's tough to describe the tonal tendencies of different designs in words as you really need to hear the instruments. Still I think bowl backs, cylinder backs, flat backs, carved tops, double tops, etc, do tend to sound a little different.

Anyway, I really like the Vega Cremona f-hole guitar in the photo. It actually has a cylinder top and back, and the tone is painfully sweet and pretty. I played an oval hole once and liked it as well.

I have a five-course Bohmann mandolin/mandola hybrid and a five-course Vinaccia Liuto Cantabile and I am always fiddling with string gauges on those things. Five courses each tuned a fifth apart is a design challenge for sure when it comes to scale length, body size and string gauge. I've thought about finding something with fan frets.

I have two cylinder backs, a 1916 model 204 mandolin (rosewood back and sides) and a 1910 mandocello (mahogany body). The sound is wonderful on both of them, even though they both have had their share of repairs over the years. The mandolin in particular has some tremendous bottom end that causes some amazement in Irish sessions ("it sounds like a mandola...."). I have the mandocello set up as an octave currently. Of the few cylinder backs I've played, they all sound great, and are generally a bargain.

zookster: Wasn't sure if you caught this before but I posted a video playing a maple cylinder back Vega mandocello. Link below...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXM1t8Ds9cI

www.vintagefrettedinstruments.com

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    They are quite nice, a special design, obviously not one anyone copied!
    Pete Langdell of Rigel built some copies. Jamie Masefield of Jazz Mandolin project played a Rigel cylinderback mandola.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

No discussion of these wonderful instruments is complete without reference to the Giuseppe Pettine Quintet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pettine Quintet.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	278.8 KB 
ID:	163838
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox
    Twangbox Videos

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BradKlein For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BradKlein View Post
    No discussion of these wonderful instruments is complete without reference to the Giuseppe Pettine Quintet.
    Of course, at least from the photo, it appears there were not CB mandolins. GP is playing his artist-model Vega bowlback along with the other mandolinist I would guess. Interesting also is the non-point version Mandolin which may or may not be a CB. I have seen some flatback Vegas that look like CBs from the front.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Teacher, repair person

I have a friend who has a cylinder back mandolin with no body points. It is otherwise similar to the common style 202. It is the only one like it I have ever heard of.