Thread: Why don't pictures show up in threads?

Default Why don't pictures show up in threads?

Hello all, I have been a huge fan of this site for a couple of years now.
    I can't stand not being able to see pictures anymore. About 50% of the time I get a paperclip with the words attached thumbnail.

How do I get pics to show up?

Chris

Default Re: Why don't pictures show up in threads?

Have you got an example where it doesn’t work? I’m seeing pictures fine so it may be your computer?

For example can you see the pictures in this thread https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...ished-building ?

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Sounds like a browser issue to me. Try a different browser or an updated version of your browser.

Pictures can be either posted as direct image links (making the picture appear in original size in the post) or as attachment links to pictures uploaded to the Cafe (looks like a box with one ore more thumbnails in it, clicking it opens a viewer window with next/prev controls).
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Could be one of those 'mobile device' issues ...
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Have you got any type of ''pop-up blocker'' active on your PC ?. I use 2 different ones & they prevent the ''attachments'' window from being seen unless i disable them. However,photos. posted are still shown because they're already displayed within the posts & don't 'pop-up'.

It does sound like a browser issue to me. Check how your own photos are displayed ie. what software do you use to display them, & make sure that it hasn't been disabled or changed. For instance,i use Windows Photo Viewer,which i assume displays Cafe photos. as well ?,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

It’s possibly more of an issue for the User Support section of the forum as it is there to discuss these types of things.

Assuming the thread will be located to the right section I’ll throw my tuppence worth in here.
    I have experienced this on my iPad with certain types of pictures and videos, especially if they are pulled in from third party sources.
    I have MandolinCafe on my list of allowed advert sources in AdBlock, but sometimes notice threads where third party hosted stuff seems to be missing from places like Photobucket, Vimeo and sometimes YouTube,despite those also being on my allowed list.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Assuming you’re on a mobile device. If you scroll to the very bottom of any thread you are reading you’ll see a link that says “Full Desktop View”. Click on that and the view will refresh and you will see everything the same as if you were viewing on a desktop computer, images and all.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

I am on a moible tablet and there is no link to full computer at the bottom of the page, or any page for that matter???

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Mudd View Post
    Hello all, I have been a huge fan of this site for a couple of years now.
    I can't stand not being able to see pictures anymore. About 50% of the time I get a paperclip with the words attached thumbnail.

How do I get pics to show up?

Chris
    It sounds like you may be in mobile view. Since you've provided no information as to mobile or desktop, and regular view vs. mobile, as you can see above, everyone is trying to guess.

It's possible to turn off the viewing off images in your forum account but those settings are buried deep enough most people are never going to go looking for them and I checked your account, that's not the case. They are on by default, and it works quite well. You won't see a single image.

That leaves two main culprits. The most likely is your personal firewall or security software. To test if it's the issue, turn it off, exit your browser then relaunch and then recheck if you're seeing images here. But do turn it back on after doing so because obviously it serves a purpose which is why it was purchased.

Various browsers have differing levels of "protection" which can cause problems. That would be the second guess and you're on your own but you want to go into the Preferences or Options section and check your security levels.

Automatic updates to both browsers and personal firewalls can cause these issues to arise, but they are increasingly rarer of late.

I concur. Mobile devices have a setting to not play or download videos & photos to save on bandwidth. That is a phone/tablet setting.

If you have a browser that supports NoScript, you'll have to enable the two "viglink.com" permissions to see photos.
    • Seagull S8 • Weber Y2K6 • David Hudson Bloodwood Didgeridoo (C#) •

11. The following members say thank you to James Miller for this post:

Beanzy 

It worked!
    I found the "full site button on the bottom, now I see pictures!!!!

I have a lot of pics to see now!

Thanks all!

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

welcome to The Real Cafe.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world