Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions about Weber Y2K Mandolin

Default Re: Questions about Weber Y2K Mandolin

Looking at the green gunk, it is the double-sided sticky tape that turned or was green colored.
    • Seagull S8 • Weber Y2K6 • David Hudson Bloodwood Didgeridoo (C#) •

The “rubbery” stuff you encountered was probably contact cement. It’s meant for a permanent bond and should not have been used here. There are things you could have done to minimize the damage but you were impatient and this is the result. There is nothing you can put on that spot now to make it look right. The only thing to do now in my opinion is to refinish the whole top. Weber uses nitrocellulose lacquer. If it were mine, I would mask off the sides and lower neck with low tack masking tape. I would protect in inside by stuffing with wadded up newspaper. Then I would very carefully sand off the finish down to bare wood, shoot the top with a coup,e of thin coats of rattle can shellac to seal it, then follow up with several coats of matte vintage amber rattle can lacquer. Or, if you are not comfortable with nitro, you could use several coats of shellac only with a couple coats of Tru Oil on top which would give you a glossier top and is pretty much good proof to apply.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

3. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

I would use the pickguard as a template and put a new one back on. Or use the original, looks to still be ok.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Could reapply lacquer to the spot area with a clean cotton, rub it in, let it cure - after some light fine grit sanding. Then put the pick-guard back...

Think Deft makes a nitrocellulose satin lacquer in a spray can that I can squirt into a container and reapply the finish with an old clean t-shirt.

Removed the tape from the pick-guard, it was some weird green colored tape with adhesive on both sides. Could cut double-sided foam tape and attach towards the front, back, and center with small squares, leaving most of the pick-guard unattached.
    Foam would be easier to remove at a later point in time when it is warmer. Then refinish the top during the warmer parts of the year.

the big question is:
    "How do you like playing it?"

I enjoy playing this mandolin very much. There is more room for the fingers on the fretboard, with a noticeable space between the D & A strings. Last night I fell asleep (again) playing her. Even on basic chords she's wonderful! Seems this mandolin is encouraging me to play faster and with more fingering. Worlds difference from that Rogue.

As for loudness, I don't think there is any shortage there. May not have the punch that an F holed has, but her sustain is almost heavenly.

With the Rogue I played more cause I wanted to learn, but it was not very enjoyable in comparison. I was trying to get to bed fairly early last night and found myself playing for over an hour. So I can honestly say that this Weber Y2K6 almost beckons me to play her, and is FAR MORE enjoyable.

And if I do mess up on fingering I can definitely tell the difference compares to the Rogue. The notes are much more clearer, and the fingering is easier.

Once I get caught up, will be making a donation to the cafe. The help here is worth more than gold-pressed latinum.

The see-through pick-guard...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02097.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	164029

So... I would not recommend padding on lacquer. It will make a mess. Ask me how I know. :-)
    Also, I wouldn't use Deft (except the sanding sealer, in a pinch). It doesn't buff out as nicely or get as hard as Behlen or other high quality instrument lacquer.

It will seal the wood and offer some protection, but it's possible it will actually make it look worse since it will be super glossy and accentuate the differences in height.To actually make this area look like the rest of the top is a job of several hours worth of color matching and surface texture matching. Not for the faint of heart.
    If I had to fix this, I'd charge $300 to try to color match it and patch it up. It still wouldn't look perfect. I'd charge about half that to sand and completely refinish the top.

If you don't care about it looking perfect, then anything you put on there will keep dirt and oil out of the wood.

Personally, I would use your plastic pickguard as a template and make a sweet ebony or curly maple veneer pickguard. You can then sand the damaged area with 400-600 grit sandpaper to get it nice and smooth with no loose chunks, and permanently glue the veneer over the area. A Danish oil or something would finish the veneer nicely without too much fuss. You can get nice veneer sheets cheap from WoodCraft, etc. or I can send you an envelope with a half dozen wood veneers to choose from.

Well, as Shultz would say, "Das is nicht fur fingagapoken und screwink around!" You may wish to seek the services of a qualified luthier to refinish the top. In any case, congratulations on your new mando!
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

I take back what I said about refinishing the entire top being the only thing to do. I LOVE Marty’s idea! I’d do ebony.

Don’t try to just touch up the damaged area. It will not look right. Trust me.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

I would re-finish it and make it a black top.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post
    I would re-finish it and make it a black top.
    Black top is the hardest finish to get right. Does look nice when you can make it work, though.

Yuck. Not a fan of black unless it has the right blend of red. Am more of a natural wood person myself. Don't even like sunburst.

Eastman turns me off cause of the color of the top.

Luv the Weber Bridger in design, looks, and sound. No way can I put down 2 Grand on one no matter how sexy they are.

God I luv this mandolin. Only a Bridger could be better! And this one is plenty loud, and the sustain is great!

Playing chords in chorus that comes to me, developed as I learned basic chords, and I run back and forth and see how one note flows into the next. Very entertaining. Was trying various strums along with this practice session, and was using this one set that was introduced to me on MandoLessons I think it was.

Tap G down, then strum G to E, tap E up. Repeat. Is weird, when I go slow I trip over the steps. This mandolin like is beckoning me to play faster, and I was, and the strum method became so much clearer, and was able to pick up speed and wow, the effects this mandolin has ... enthralling like. What A JOT TO PLAY. :D

So have to get up early to do some work for job #1, and figured oh I'll for 10 or fifteen minutes. Heard an owl out in the back pine tree. Came close to going outside and playing the didgeridoo for them, as owls (animals too) luv the didge sounds. 32° F out though.
    Picked up the Y2K6 and played nearly an hour before I put her back in the case. She wants me to play better chords I know. What a joy to play this mandolin.

Was reading over at Bruce's website about various things and he mentioned tightening the truss rod a quarter a turn every month or so. I dunno about doing that, and no idea if this truss rod requires some special wrench to use. Think I'll find me a trustworthy luthier in the Ontario, OR area and let them do that and/or teach me what to look (out) for.

And ya know, taking that plastic pick guard off did make a noticeable change to my ears anyhow. This mandolin did not need a pick guard on it other than making it look different. Am playing her, and I have a big dragon (belly) and not even coming close to the top.
    Seen some of Bruce's pick guards and he makes them look sexy on the mandolin. For $300+ they better look good! Think I'll contact Bruce and see what he has to say before I leap into anything drastic. After all, he was the one that made this mandolin.

17. The following members say thank you to James Miller for this post:

I think you have a good idea in asking Bruce his opinion first, before doing anything. If it were mine, would either just seal the wood, or play it as is. It's unfortunate, but things happen.

Looking at the bottom of the pickguard, have a gut feeling that anything you would have tried would have removed quite a bit of finish. That doesn't look like standard double sided tape. If it also had contact cement, then the combination would have been pretty tough to dislodge.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

19. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Yes, I guess you could play it as it is, but I would not be able to do hat. It would bother me too much. Refinishing the entire top would be what I would do. Even though the rest is nitro, nitro is hard for someone not familiar with it. But a really nice looking result is possible with other finishes. It’s simple, really. Take off the strings, use very low tack tape to mask off everything but the top (blue tape further de-tacked bysticking them to your jeans first works well), and plug the hole with wadded up newspaper. Sand with the grain, use very fine sandpaper, 600 or even 800, work slowly and carefully, until you are just down to bare wood. Remove as little wood as possible, preferably none. Clean up the surface, tack cloth could mess up finish so just wipe with moist cloth to get all the particles and let it thoroughly dry. I would recommend an easy to use wipe on finish like Tru Oil (used for gun stocks, available at your local sporting goods store) or Danish Oil (which is actually varnish in a wipe on formula). In either case simply wipe on, let cure, scuff with extra fine steel wool, and repeat until you get the look you want.

Like I said, that’s what I would do. But you’re not me and YMMV. You could mention this course of action to Bruce. But I pretty much know what he will say. He’ll say send it to me, and let me do it right. He can make it look factory new, I know that, he’s done work for me. But it won’t be cheap. I would be surprised if he recommended any other course of action.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by James Miller View Post
    Yuck. Not a fan of black unless it has the right blend of red. Am more of a natural wood person myself. Don't even like sunburst.

Eastman turns me off cause of the color of the top.
    I get it. To each his own 🤓

Hey- still congrats on your awesome Weber. I've had mine for 2 years now and I'm still loving it! And good luck on your finish/pick guard/maybe leave it be decisions. I'm sure with the help from here you'll be ok.

Waiting to hear back from Bruce.
    Stain appears to be good. Only a thin outer layer was removed.

Ordered a mahogany armrest from Steve Smith of Cumberland Acoustic since that other fella retired.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Armresttrio-small.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	164044

Saw an Etsy armrest maker. They use a different, smaller mounting attachment - did not care for it. They did offer a wide variety of hardwoods however.

Name:	il_570xN.712313858_5we6.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	164045

Went to a clubhouse where a lot of us hang out playing whatever we bring, ages from youth to the older fellas. We jam together mostly in country songs, but most anything goes. Me, am playing by ear and someone throws out a key if I'm not in it. Makes me smile.

Could definitely tell the difference from the F holed Rogue and my current oval holed, although I was holding back as I've not gotten a good enough strum pattern for country music and playing by ear is rough as a newbie.

After the jam session we hooked the Y2K6 up to an amplifier and it sounded like the real deal - louder. I had asked Bob what pickup he had installed and he replied his luthier moved out of town and he did not know what she put in there. Bob added that she knew what she was doing.
    ~ I was surprised at how well it sounded - sounded just like she plays 'cept louder & perhaps more clear.

I do not have an amplifier. Thought of getting one where I could hook a microphone up to the didgeridoo as we use vocals through there, and the other to the mandolin. Would be interesting to play around with, yet is not a necessity - thus no hurry.

Bob M. on amplifiers:
    Can tell you that I would recommend an acoustic guitar amp, specifically the Fishman Loude X Mini or Artist. The Mini is all you need, unless you're going to sing too, then I would get the two channel Artist. I swear by my mother and all the gods in heaven that the Fishman is THE best acoustic amp for acoustic instruments, ever. But that's just me.
    Looked these up and yeah, amplifiers are spendy!

PS: I guess your system does not use [quote author=Herman]I am, therefor I was.[/quote] for quoting??

If I were to add a veneer pick guard, what sort of glue should be used?

No word back from Bruce. Guess I'll have to find time between two jobs to give him a call.

I was just visiting Bruce last week and he was hip deep in repair work, so he is pretty busy. I left my Yellowstone with him to have him change out the tuners for a set of Rubner's and have the finish on the headstock repaired. I loaned to a friend of mine a couple of years ago to use at a concert and somebody caused some damage to the finish on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    I left my Yellowstone with him to have him change out the tuners for a set of Rubner's ....
    Great move! I just put new Rubner's on my Girouard and they are awesome. I have Rubner's on another mandolin and IMHO are the best value in high quality tuning machines for F-style. Also, the customer service from Rubner direct has been spectacular. Great communication, fast replies with thoughtful responses. A+!!!
    “Without music, life would be a mistake” Neitzsche

Collings MF5-V
    Kimble A5
    An electric rig with an envelope filter trying to sound like Jerry...

27. The following members say thank you to MissingString for this post:

Cumberland Armrest came in today. Was not expecting such fast service, especially for winter.

Name:	DSC02112.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	164165

The adjusters were on their last threads when I had to break out the Leatherman Sketelool and put in a bit to tighten them adjusters even more.

Name:	DSC02114.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	164166

No word from Montana yet...

Our church fellowship group played at a member's home yesterday. I'm the one in the far right corner, barely seen.

https://www.facebook.com/JackarooJim...3486869377459/